Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoshone Lake(Yellowstone) Report
When I was 10 years old my grandparents took me canoing in Boundary Waters National Park. As I thought back on that trip my wife and I decided to take each of our four boys on a canoe trip when they turned 10.

We decided on Shoshone Lake because it close to home yet very adventerous as it takes a 3 mile canoe trip across Lewis Lake, then a 3 mile canoe/pull up the Lewis River. When you get to Shoshone you have plenty of shoreline to explore with the highlight being a natural geiser basin in the far Northwest corner of the lake. Shoshone is the most popular backcountry area so we made our reservations in April.

Day one was a bit long as we found out that our campsite was 12 miles from the starting point. After that we made much smaller moves from campspot to campspot and really had a great time. We did not spend a great deal of effort or time fishing, yet we managed to catch around 30 18-24" lake trout. The lake trout were holding in 70ft of water since it was late July and the water was warming. The fish did not seem particulary difficult as long as you had something that was heavy enough to get down deep fast.

Highlights of the trip were seeing the geiser basin, fishing with my wife and son, and the ride on the river downstream.

Here are a few pics...

Windriver
[signature]
Great pics, nice fish, but best of all, I'm sure, will be the lifelong memories for the kids. Mike
[signature]
I can still remember when my grandparents took me canoeing when I was around ten so I am sure that these memories will hold as well.

Windriver
[signature]