Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Low? Porta-bote time!
I heard newton is getting really low--sounds like a job for porta_homer and his porta-bote. I fished newton for the first time 6 weeks ago and stayed in the south-west corner with the bluegill. Any ideas on what might work and where to go this week?
[signature]
[#ff0000]I drove by there this evening and the water is ten feet or so below the end of the cement boat launch. There was one 12-14 foot aluminum that someone had launched off the bank out putting around and a few other folks on the shore. There were quite a few rising and I saw something decent sized charge the shore and send little minnows flying everywhere. Had my wife's car - no pole..... [/#ff0000]
[signature]
hey guest, you should sign up, this site is great! What were you using and where on the lake were you. I don't have much experience at newton so any advice is much appreciated.
[signature]
thanks kicknbass
[signature]
Fished Newton from shore this late morning throwing small plastics. Not red hot but but enough consistent action to keep my attention.

Took a while to figure out what they wanted (luckily I was dragging 25# of tackle up & down the shoreline, anyway...) but managed 7-8 bass, 2 crappie (nice ones - hit texas-rigged worms), and a wicked sunburn on my legs.

Lots of little bass and some fair b'gills terrorizing the damselflies in the shallows - might be a kick w/ the fly rod.

Started getting really warm on that desolate shoreline (this reservoir makes Daniel's look scenic). I can't believe people are actually camping at Newton for the 4th weekend - some in tents no less!

I quit about noon and the bass were still hitting, but in deeper water.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Hey P-H. We have done well in the past with the tiger muskies with a size 2 or 3 crocodile retrieved slowly in a rainbow pattern. We have picked up an occasional big bass and crappie that way also. The most consistent bassing has been with either small crank baits or Rapala's in clown or gold, or a whole Texas rigged nightcrawler casted around. Let it hit the bottom bounce it a few times and if nothing happens try again in another spot. Most of them that we have picked up have hit it within 10 seconds of bottom contact. If we've just let them sit the catfish pick it up instead. A slow retrieve has been tough through the moss and such. One time we just let our lines down under the boat just to bottom contact and let the wiggling of the kids and waves provide action and caught a bunch of smaller ones-easy fishing for the kids and they loved it. Half the fun was not knowing what you were going to reel in next. Some of our best crappie action was with a wet fly. If you're in the mood for a fun camp over, take that same nightcrawler put it on a big hook, and cast it out at dark, set your drag for medium tension, run your line up to your tent, TIE YOUR POLE SECURELY TO A TREE, crawl in the sleeping bag, and sweet dreams. We tried putting bells on our poles to wake us up when we got a hit, but really no need. The sound of a screaming drag and a tree getting uprooted right outside the tent did the trick. There are some big cats in there. Enjoy! [/#ff0000]
[signature]