Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XLDVee, RiverPark, CFF #8, 8/29/09, jonathanfaith2
We started the day right at the ramp. As we were all waiting on safe light, a bunch of fish started busting topwater, so after we gave the command, we pulled out the rods and started slinging. Watched fish blow up everywhere, but they didn't want any part of what we were throwing. So we stayed around there for 45 min or so, but only picked up one 6" spot. Cranked up and ran down to the rock banks and started throwing finesse worms. We were getting a lot of bites, but they were just nibbling at the tails of our worms. So we wasted another 45 min or so there without picking up anything of merit. Slowly worked our way towards downtown, stopping here and there along the way. Faith got on one heck of a redbreast bite with a shallow crankbait, and I was contemplating fishing for food instead of for money.....<br /><br />Worked all the way down to Moccasin Bend without the first keeper, so we cranked back up and ran all the way back up to the ramp to try our first spot again. I finally felt a good thump and set the hook on a solid keeper with a spot remover and a finesse worm. Kept working the area hard but only picked up a small fish here and there, so we ran on up towards the dam to fish the slack waters around the current. Tossed my spot remover next to a bridge piling and the line took off to the side. Set the hook and the fight was on! I knew the fish was coming up quick, and lo and behold this smallmouth put on an arial show for us! Came at least 4 ft out of the water, and I thought Faith was going to have a stroke! He got to hollerin' and swinging at that thing with the net...almost knocked the fish out twice, almost cut my line twice, and then finally got that ol brownfish in the net. emoLaugh Thought it was a sure keeper, but only measured to 17 1/4...so that got our blood flowing again, but it was depressing to not be a keeper. Kept working the area and Faith says "fish on"...got it to the boat and it was a twin of the first keeper I caught. He caught it on a shakey head. So with an hour to go, we finally had our 2nd keeper. We kept fishing hard trying to pick up a third, but it just wasn't in the cards. Ran back down to our starting spot and saw a pretty red Stratos sitting right on top of it. emoBang Dang it Billy....oh well, they hadnt picked anything up and by this time boats were starting to file back in for the weigh-in, so we went ahead and pulled out.<br /><br />Finished with a touch over 5 lbs on our two fish. If that smallie would have measured we would have been in the money, but that's the way it goes. Had another great time even though I'm sick as a dog. It was great to see everybody again and I was glad we had such a good turnout for a RiverPark event. Really enjoyed it today and the weather was nice. Congrats to all the money winners and hope to see ya'll on the 19th at the Chick Dam!!