Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New motor ...QUESTIONS ???
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]OK friends, here's the deal,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I am now ready to buy a new motor to replace my 6 horse Evenrude. The one I have is a great little piece of engineering but it don't get me to where I want to go as fast as I like. Sooooo, I'm going to break down and buy me a new one. A new 15 hp four stroke.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I need your help. WHAT BRAND SHOULD I BUY??? or even better, what brand should I stay away from?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I like the features of the Johnson, but I am leaning toward the reputation of a Mercury. Or am I missing something great about another brand?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Are 15 horse pull starts hard to pull? Should I get electric start on a 15 hp.?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A short shaft would fit my boat best but I am considering a long shaft so that some day I can use it for a kicker on a larger boat. Any thoughts on that?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Who has the best prices along the Washatch front? Or, for the right price, I'll drive further ...[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Questions ... questions ... questions. This is a pretty pricey investment for me so I'd love to hear from anyone with an experienced opinion.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Mercury without a doubt. They own a lion's share of the market and have dealerships all over so you'll never be far from a dealership. Call Lee's Marine, 435-245-7727, and check his prices. Better yet, go out on the internet and check prices and then call Lee and start bargaining. Tell them BearLakeMack sent ya![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Coot, I've got the 2003 Merc four stroke 15 HP. It's a beaut! make sure to get the electric start no matter what you do. You'll never regret it![/size][/font]
[signature]
Mercury for sure!!!! Very dependable!!! I have a 1970 115 merc and 1970 4 hp. Talk about enduring the years, both still running like new and very easy to maintain and work on and I am no mechanic.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]You guys have no idea how much influence you can have on a guy's decision! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh, BLM, the Mercury Marine Web site lists Lee's Marine SVC in Hyrum as one of a very few "Premier" dealers ... [url "http://www.mercurymarine.com/premier_description"]http://www.mercurymarine.com/premier_description[/url][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]No doubt, I will be talking to them too.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks for the feedback guys.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have a Honda 4 stroke 9.9 hp and love it. I had a 2 stroke Johnson for years and it was very dependable. The way things are going enviornmentally, you will not be able to put a 2 stroke on some of the waters in the very near future. You should keep that in mind when selecting a new motor. The fact that I don't have to mix gas and oil is a plus also and a 4 stroke should last a lot longer from what I've read. Hope this helps...
[signature]
I have a friend who has a Honda 4-Stroke 9.9, He loves it. But they do cost more. I also agree that you should get a 4-stroke because 2-strokes won't be allowed soon. But I hear that Mercs are good too.

m
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Honda are nice, dependable motors also BUT they are expensive and having some place around that can service them is the other question. If you decide to go some place, the chances are a Honda dealer or service tech is a long way off not to mention parts.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Merc dealers are always close by and parts are not tough to get. Like I said above, Mercury has about 75% of the outboard market so that has to say something.[/size][/font]
[signature]
take a look at the new yamaha's I think that you'll like them. from all that I've read they are really going to be the one's to have but it's all up to you.
[signature]
Hey Coot. Good to meet you last night at Willard

The last boat my father and i shared had a 25 horse mercury, great moter and never had a hickup. I concure with everyone else that the electric start is well worth the money.

I'm not great at boat physics, but wouldn't a long shaft motor on a boat meant for a short shaft make the bow rise to high at full throttle? I guess thats a good question for someone who knows more than I.

Just curiose...what ya going to do with the 6 Horse Johnson you have now?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WhatYaUsin and Matador ... Thanks for the info. I had a chance to run a newer Honda 4-stroke 9.9 on my boat up at Bear Lake. Some how the design causes water to come up over the transom and into the boat. That along with the service and parts issue has made me rule out Honda ... but they are definitely nice motors.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Lunashines (MoonShine) ... Yes, I too have some consern about the long shaft on my 15 in transom. My boat is designed for a short shaft. I may have to extend (raise) the height of my transom to accommodate a long shaft. I'm pretty set on a long shaft just so I can use it on my future dream boat. As for what I will be doing with my little 6 horse, I will keep it to sell with my 14 footer when I do replace it with my new boat some day.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM ... I took your advice and called several dealers along the Washatch Front. Talked with Lee at Lee's Marine in Hyrum. Not only was Lee's price the best, but his boat savy and willingness to help with the transome issue won him my business.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Bottom line >>>>> I've decided to get a Merc with electric start. Probably putting the battery and fuel tank up front somewhere to balance out the load a bit.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks for all your input guys.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Is this a great Web site, or what???[/size][/font]
[signature]
The trolling motor on the boat I had for many years was a long shaft Johnson, 6HP, 2 cylinder. Sweet, sweet motor. Of course it wasn't the main motor but I never had a problem with the long shaft. Like you I bought it so that no matter what boat I had it on it would work. I believe that even if you put a long shaft on your shorter transom you would be okay. The running tilt angle should be adjustable to counter any problems such as the bow or stern riding too high or low under power. At trolling speed there is no issue at all. I was careful and never dinged a prop, not even once. When I sold the motor ten years later and after dozens and dozens of fishing trips the original paint was still on the prop, even at the tips. In most waters, depth is not an issues except close to shore.(maybe not true at willard or utah this year). You can also tilt most motors back to run very shallow, such as in marshes.

Anyway, I personally would not hesitate to get another long shaft. Since I never really did need a long shaft I don't know if I would pay too much extra for one again. You have made me jealous though. I wish I were shopping for a new motor. Good luck.

m
[signature]
Sounds like a person who never fished Utah Lake much, especially Bird Island. If I only ding one prop a year I consider it a great year.
[signature]
You're right, I don't go there much. I have been to Utah Lake with a buddy in his boat. And yes, we did bang the bottom around bird island. That is exactly why I didn't go in my boat after that. But I'm gald to hear the succes of others there.

m
[signature]