Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting ice fishing tool
[url "http://www.fishelevator.com/"]http://www.fishelevator.com/[/url]
[signature]
Wonder how difficult it would be to make something out of PVC. Any ideas on the scoop. Perhaps one could use some plywood or something similar.
[signature]
Take an ice scoop and attach it to 1" pvc. Done!!![sly]
[signature]
Wow great idea time to go to the drawing board to make one for myself. Got plenty of time before January.
[signature]
Don't forge the zipties![Wink]
[signature]
Interesting idea for sure. I'd think it would also be useful at the Berry when the ice gets 2' thick.
[signature]
Ok someone needs to build one. Lets see who can come up with one. I would but I am in the middle of modifying four tubes.
[signature]
Cool looking tool! That Marcum must have you thinking about ice fishing already.
I was actually thinking about sturgeon fishing and reading posts on the Idaho forum when I saw the above link in a post.
[signature]
Nice tool, but the fishing chevy suburban with it.
[signature]
I could see PVC as a material. I would actually modify the top "T" portion of it to actually perform as a "off the ice" foot rest for those times you are not in a shelter. I would also use for the bottom round bit maybe a big PVC cap from a pipe of some sort, like off of a clean out I am sure you could find one of those in 8 or 10 inch pending auger size, the rest is just putting a hole in a "slider" i think could be made out of a straight union for the pipe size you choose, but i would go up a diameter in size to allow smoothe sliding. drill a hole in it thread in a thumb screw and use that to lock it down, unless you want to drill 10 holes up and down the shaft and stick a pin in it. then just use the TD approved method for "welding" the PVC cap to the pipe BLOW TORCH!!!! Hell I bet if you wanted to you could even spray it with some yellow and tan paint to camo it up especially if you use the BLACK PVC pipe. all in all I bet you would be under 20 bucks at home depot. unless you have to buy like a 12 foot section of the straight pipe. but i am cheap i would hunt the scrap bin. I would not use wood for its ability to float, i think that would make the thing unstable in the water. i would attach a 100 feet of rope to the non business end that ties up to my sled or something HUGE that would not go down my 8 inch hole.

just some basic thoughts.
[signature]
The guy is willing to give a good discount if two or more are purchased at the same time. I plan on purchasing two. Anyone interested in splitting an order?
[signature]
I did by this "fish elevator" after watching the video. Basically, it's a wooden broom handle with a plastic circle that screws onto the bottom with an adjustable piece of plastic that slids on to make the squeeze to the ice. Looks like a poor man's metal detector. On the bright side, it was only $25 and we all know that it's the biggest fish that gets away (or so I tell my friends).
I know what everybody is saying..."SUCKER!",
ya, I know.
[signature]
How long is the wooden handle and is it sturdily constructed? How heavy of a fish do you think it will handle?
[signature]
....It's a 5' handle and pretty sturdy. It's a professionally made product, I'm just mad at myself for not thinking of this years ago.
I would say it could handle any fish pulled thru the ice in Utah, even a "Big Mac".
[signature]
That is the news I wanted to hear. I have wanted something like this for years, so I am going to definitely pick up a couple of them. I wish that he also made a 6" model.
[signature]
A guy might drill a hole in the top and tie a rope thru it, just in case he tripped or the dog knocks it down the hole!
[signature]
Got my two Fish Elevators in the mail yesterday. Put them together tonight and I am impressed with how durable they appear to be. I have always struggled trying to figure out the best way to get the fish on the ice causing them the least amount of stress and at the same time not break my light lines. These look like they will work great.
[signature]