Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noobie In Blackfoot Idaho
I am basically new to fishing this year and have really enjoyed using a fly rod when I get a chance. I don’t really have any co-workers that fly fish so I really need some help on how to continue learning. I bought a new cheap Wal-Mart combo fly fishing combo early this year and first tried it in March at Henry's lake near the state boat dock. The fish were spawning really close to the shore and I was able to pull a fly across the face of a fish and got him to strike. It was great but the he took my fly as my tying skills were limited to trying to follow the Martin guide I received with the combo. It was Sad to see the end of my line with a curly twist indicating a bad knot. I then went down to warm river and was skunked as I tried to float a fly on the shallow river off the banks. I think a fish jumped at my fly but not sure, the water was fast. I was fascinated by a fisherman off in the distance consistently catching a fisher about every other cast.
Lately I have been trolling worms and rapalas at Gem Lake and Blacktail (ririe reservoir) with a 12ft boat and 6hp motor and have been having a good time with my catch rates being great with worms if we anchor up.

I am still way fascinated with trying to catch a trophy fish at Springfield reservoir, I have tried about 5 times this year and have been successful only once catching a whitefish or small sucker(not really sure what species it was) with a hopper pattern. I hear people using zebra midges, nymphs, hoppers, and leach patterns. I hear the fish jumping all over and once even saw a fish chase my leech to the dock I was standing on but no bite. I have a basic fly rod pole 8ft, 7 ft leader and about 2 feet of tippet when I tie the hopper or fly. Can anyone give me any hints how to catch fish here during this time of year? I can use the boat I have for about 10 more days and then I have to give it back to my friend. But I have tried fishing off the dock by the highway and off the dock in the picnic area. I have heard of people tying two flies one hook to the next fly in line. I saw a version presented on a post by fly goddess and saw that the tippet is used on both ends to tie two wet flies and then a split shot between them to sink them to the bottom. I have never tried this but will for sure try this weekend.
It has been way fun catching trout on a fly rod by has been very few in my many hours of trying. I hope someday I can learn to fish like many of you in this forum. My son does really well at mcktucker ponds catching little bass off the docks there. I bout him the same Wal-Mart combo and he is also having a blast. If you know any fly fisherman in my area or guides nearby please let me know. I might be able to save enough to hire one. Thanks in advance for any advice on Springfield reservoir and how to fish this lake.
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
Rossi
[signature]
Hi Rossi, and welcome.
I haven't been to Springfield in quite a while. The summer months are too hard because it is so shallow and the vegetation gets very thick.
Sadly, the last few times I HAVE been there was a little disappointing in that all the BIG fish seem to be gone. I use to be able to see them. Specially in a couple of areas, but they aren't there anymore.
I will be up that way the weekend of the 26th and we were talking Springfield, however, I think it will end up Chesterfield instead.

LOVE THEM KAMLOOPS.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Match and thanks for your story. If anyone has a handle on fishing the Springfield reservoir that would be the FGD. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Welcome to the board. springfield is way slow through the warmer months. I drove by last week and the whole west bay was light green and floatin moss. give it 2-3 weeks pending cold it should pick up. the big fish have gone away and are getting farther and fewer in between. Its a small place and getting to popular most streamers in black or brown and they love red midge and chromi's
[signature]
There is a Southeast Idaho Flyfishing Club located in Pocatello. Contact Rodger at Portneuf River Outfitters in downtown Pocatello. He can help you with information on the club, and he also has open tying sessions at his store. Go in and talk to some of the guys there. I am sure many will be glad to help you get started, and give you all kinds of advice.
Here is the club's website:
http://www.orgsites.com/id/seidahoflyfishers/
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Hi there cpierce - didn't see a forum in your link, but if someone does the link will need to be removed.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
There is no forum. I don't know why. maybe they don't want one.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Thanks poky-mon for checking. Four eyes are better than two particularly since mine don't work together with the brain too well. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
How did ya know I wear glasses now. [laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I forgot that!!!! FOUR EYES!!!!
See you tomorrow afternoon.
[signature]
found one brown trout today! Finally

Not a trophy, but happy to say I caught my first trout today at springfield on a boat with a sinking line setup. I've put in about 20hrs at spring field this year and have only caught a white fish on a hopper.

I had an orange wooly bug and about 18"down a small wet fly with bright green, only one in fly box and lost it in next ten minutes to a tree behind me as I casted off of a boat. Just kinda that day with a little wind I had to fight my tackle and boat after that...LOL no bites after that. Can anyone suggest what type of fly I had on? sorry I just kinda new so don't really know, this guy is like a scud/nymph cross about a size 14. thanks ...

This was near the dock by the highway.

match

Thanks everyone for your tips, I give my recent success to tips by people on this forum..
[signature]
No idea on the fly, but WHITEFISH and BROWN???? in SPRINGFIELD?
The small lake has changed.
When I use to go a few years back it was Rainbow and very large at that.
They would plant it with 18" because of the birds.
You could see Trophy's swimming around you.
That was several years ago however.
Sounds like another community pond now....very Sad.

Good for you though...nice Brown.

Good news is, this is one Idaho fishery that went down hill, but not because of Utah....
[signature]
Can't really see enough of the fly to really know what it is.

It looks something like a green caddis larva, but also might just be a small green "generic" nymph with a black head. You might go to a fly shop and look through the flies for something similar. You could also look at a fly catalog like the one Cabelas puts out.

A green chironomid might work as well. I suspect that that is what the trout took it for. That or possibly a scud.
Good luck!
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]The yellow looks like some type of yarn & the grey brown material could be chenille.
[inline fly.jpg]
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Thanks all for the suggestions,

I contacted the person that I bought the fly from he said it is a green caddis nymph. Rabbit dubbed body with peacock herl for the head.

I've had mulitple bites on this fly trailing a black wooly bug. it was my only one. I will look for others at the fly shop similar since I seem to have good luck with this one.

match
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][img]../../../images/gforum/dumb.gif[/img]You could have fooled me on that one. The rabbit fur must have been dyed chartreuse.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Could be....rabbit comes in different colors. Check into a Chamois (or Buckskin) Caddis fly also. Very easy and effective tie.
[signature]