Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite local eating fish?
Just got done with walleye and channel cat. Can't make up my mind!!!! I always assumed that walleye was top but ya know..........I can't make up my mind. Am talking pan frying, maybe a light coat of bread crumbs/flower/etc. Am assuming same preparation.

My first choice is walleye/bass/channel cat/perch. Can't make up my mind which is best. Second is wipper/blue gill/crappie. Third is white fish/carp. fourth is trout. And so on.

What do you fish connoisseurs think? Method of preparation important to you in determining?

[Tongue]Leaky
[Tongue]I personally like bass and walleye the best. Wrapped in foil with onions and butter over an open fire. Like a hobo dinner. Cat's are pretty darn tasty to though.
[signature]
Perch and walleye are still the tops on my list, followed by crappie, bluegill, catfish, white bass, and then trout. I like to order salmon or halibut in restaurants when I'm in the mood for some other species.

Kastmaster
[signature]
Walleye would be my number one if i could just get better at catching them. Im more consistant when i fish for perch so I get all prepared to fry up some perch and chips! Battered and deep fried and im in Heaven.

Perch #1 "because i can actually catch them"
Walleye#2 "soon to be #1 when i become a better fisherman"
[signature]
Walleye and perch are on the top but the perch is what I catch the most of . Crappie and bluegill are next in line and occasionally a trout . Been trying to learn to fillet and have been getting good practice on them perch in the winter .
[signature]
This may sound strange compared to what most of you guys like, but I like trout when it has been filleted and cooked right. Smaller and simple is better. Trout under 12 inches or so can be filleted without leaving any noticable bones. Removing the skin before cooking removes almost all of the fishy taste that most people object to. The best way for me to cook them is coat the fillets with flour(spiced with a little seasoned salt) and pan fry them in a little butter. Seasoned to taste with a little salt and pepper. My three year old daughter loves it! She eats as much of it as I do!(no joke) And this way of cooking trout doesn't stink up the house.

I also love perch, bass, etc. Some of the best fish I've ever had was perch from Pineview and Deer Creek.

m
[signature]
Walleye, walleye then more walleye. O yea and crappie.
[signature]
My favorite is walleye. I still think trout are second but I only like the really red meat. If it's white on a trout smoke it because even a shoe would taste good smoked.
[signature]
I am surprised no one has mentioned kokanee salmon. We cooked up some Kokanee from Strawberry and some fresh salmon filets a friend caught in Alaska (not sure what species) one night last summer. Everyone agreed the kokanee was [size 1]definitely[/size] the better tasting of the two.
[signature]
[walleye] [walleye] [walleye]
[signature]
Carp? I've heard there are some ways you can prepare it and it's ok, but i've never been that daring. How do you do it?
[signature]
Thats a hard question to anwser. I haven't ever tasted a fish that I didn't like that was properly taken care of and prepared. My favorite would have to be walleye, small mouth bass, perch, crappie, catfish, kokanee, strawberry trout(cutts), then all the others. I never eat frozen fish and always cook them fresh, so fresh the fillets curl up on the edges. MMM my mouth is watering! Have a good holiday and release the biggest ones.
[signature]
No doubt that walleye is no. 1. then perch, crappie, blue gill and cat. I like to smoke my trout and white fish. from the market I like halibut then wild Salmon. Eat 'em fresh put the rest back, then go again. They all taste so great it's hard to imagine that it's healthy too. Omega 3!!!!
[signature]
Curious what the definition of a "wild salmon" is?
[signature]
Moby,

I'm probably one of the very, very few that believe carp are good eating. I think that 95% are folks that haven't tried it, mostly because of appearance, bottom feeders, boney and just plain attitude. I'll say this much, everyone that I have talked into tying it, liked it.

I have some basic rules to eat carp. 1) It must be from fresh/clean water, i.e. Flaming Gorge, Pineview, cold running water. 2) They should be large (like 15-20 lbs.) - they are somewhat boney and if you cook up large guys, the bones are easier to handle.

I cook them simple. I fillet my fish. Most cook books tell you to remove the dark red/brown meat fromthe top/sides because it's supposed to be stronger tasting, but I didn't notice much difference so I don't. I then steam cook them until done, make a white sauce to pour over adding spices to suit yourself. Bones seem to be easy to remove.

I stand by my opinion that they are better than trout!

[crazy][crazy][crazy][shocked]Leaky
Hey moby_dick,

Here's your carp recipe:

Clean and wash the carp and then remove the scales. Get a clean piece of pine board big enough that the fish does not hang over the edges. Rub the carp down with butter and stuff it with lemons and onions.(and garlic if you like) Flour the board and put the carp on it. Sprinkle fresh ground pepper on the fish. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and put the fish in for 90 minutes. To serve, throw away the carp and eat the board.

[Wink]

m
[signature]
Leaky,
I once tried some smoked carp and it was excellant. An older german fellow let us try it. I know the eastern europeans and orientals really like to eat them. I'm sure there is a trick to preparing and cooking them just like any wild game. My sister inlaw is russian and she wants me to get her and her friends a few carp to eat. Carp were brought to this country as as a food source. I'll eat anything except fermented duck eggs. I tried this in the phillipines and just couldn't force myself to swallow it.
Carp are gaining popularity in the U.S. as excellant fighters and are europes #1 fresh water game fish.
[signature]
fisherman,

Probably too much to ask but....................., if you have an opportunity to ask, sure would appreciate her recepie for carp!!!! You could pm me so you wouldn't get the anti carp guys upset!!!!! LOL

[Wink][crazy][crazy]Leaky
Check out this link.

[url "http://www.carp.com"]http://www.carp.com[/url]

Those guys are serious carp fisherman. Man, the most serious anglers in this forum don't make a science out their fishing like these guys do.

BTW, I am not against fishing for carp. To each his own. Some guys think I'm nuts because I'd rather fish alpine lakes like the Uintas where the fish tend to be smaller. I think most would agree that there is a lot more to fishing than just catching. Somethimes a sunset, seeing some critters, or just having a relaxing day more than make up for getting skunked. Fishing for anything is more a lot fun than not fishing at all.

m
[signature]
I love Trout then Salmon and then Catfish fillet's. I don't like the fishy tasting Bass! But I agree with Matador about the alpine lakes and the small size trout they are so fun to catch and they are always good eating on a open camp fire up their[Smile]
[signature]