Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Flotilla hits Mirror Lake 9-7-09
Started out bright an early at 5 am loading the car. At six loaded mamatrout, the minnows, and a neighbor kid and headed to the hills. Got a late start at the lake due to a small detour that didn't pan out. (too rough a road). We got set up and launched. I hung with the two boys \while mamatrout hung out with princess whiny butt. I noticed they didn't last too long out on the lake. Wasn't long before I was into fish. The trusty woolly bugger stikes again. Saw that my son had one on his fly rod (he is only 8). Did a quick release. This was the neighbor kids first float tubin trip if not fishin trip altogether. While fighting one of my own all of a sudden I heard "hey I got one". He caught his first fish ever. Soon he had a second. While helping him with his fish, my son looked as though he was working his way to shore. Well, I got into my 9th fish of the day and whoa. Found that I had a problem. I wasn't planning on keeping any this trip but monstro changed my mind. I had to keep it in the landing net until I caught up with my stringer attached to another tube. We got blown across the lake by this time and started to work our way back. Found my boy in a cove bobbing up and down resting his eyes. I hooked him up to the rescue toon and proceeded to haul him in the the launching pad. By the time we got there he had caught two more fish totaling four. He forgot his stringer in the car so they all got released. After getting him in to the ramp I headed back out for the neighbor kid. I found him struggling with a knot in the line. He was holding his own against the wind which is good for an 11 year old. I hooked him up and we started to head in. I lent him my fly rod and showed him the ropes. I had already shown him how to use one of my loaner spinning rods earlier in the day. He caught a couple more fish ending the day with two he kept for his dinner. We were off the water by 2:30 and had the stuff cleaned up and put away by 3:30 and ate a bite to eat. By the time we left the parking lot was full and bank tanglers everywhere. We left having spent a great day on the water and as a family. I ended the day with a total of 14.[cool]
[signature]
Wow Kev, sorry we missed you guys. Mike and I were going to Mirror then half way up we changed our minds and went to Trial. Happy that you got a great Labor day in with the FamFlotillia!
[signature]
Awesome! We thought about it, but figured it was going to be packed and looking at the shore pictures.....it was.
Not the the shore people would be a problem with a pontoon, but seems they try to cast as far as they can out, and I try to cast more to shore LOL.

we ended at the Berry and it was windy ALL DAY!!!!

Great job!
[signature]
The lake was not that busy, but the shore was. There were tubes and toons on the lake but there was plenty of room. Parking was a madhouse though. I personally do not endorse fishing on labor day. Way too busy and hectic.
[signature]
Not at Strawberry[Wink] But that place is huge.
A nightmare going home thought. Camper after camper!
[signature]
Tell me about it. Traffic Jam at !-80 and US40 and at the mouth of Parleys Canyon.[frown]
[signature]
But what the heck! We all caught fish!!!! WooHoo!
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
well originally we were trying to get to pyramid lake, but the astro van I don't think has the clearance for some of that road do we changed plans. Glad we did.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day, thanks for sharing it and the pictures!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]EXCELLENT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like a great fambly outing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
hey i was there also. i saw you guys i was one of the guys right off the ramp on the picnic table. it was a good day except when the winds decided to blow i caught 12 all released (i dont eat trout). i used a white wooly bugger they seemed to love that. its great to see all the fam having a good time.
[signature]
We need to have a Mirror lake floatilla. REAL SOON however. Like maybe this Sunday!

Anybody fish dries?
[signature]
Problem with sundays is I am in Grand Junction working. My days off are mon, tues, wed, and fri. M-W are best. But sounds fun. Gotta go fishing!!!
[signature]
Which one were you? Lots of tubes there.[Wink]
[signature]
Quote:We need to have a Mirror lake floatilla. REAL SOON however. Like maybe this Sunday!

Anybody fish dries?

Im in if im home. I dont like it when work gets in the way of Fishing!

I had real good luck on the Adams Wolf, the Royal Wolf and the Adams Parachute when the wind was not blowing hard like it has been the last few times at Trial and Mirror.
[signature]
Have you tried a Renagade? Awesome fly! Brookis like that Royal Wulff though.
I was using a Maddem X and they were smacking the heck out of it.
[signature]
I have used the renegade on the east fork of the bear and had very good luck with it.

Have never used it on the lakes but you cant go wrong on a Renegade almost any where in Utah trout territory.

I am such a fly rod novice that I cant work it very well in high wind so I just troll a red sparkle or olive bugger when the wind is up. They can't resist it.

Mirror lake flotilla sound like fun to me. Hope we and work that out.
[signature]
Me too, the problem is, my hubby only gets Sat and Sun off.
I can do the weekdays, but need his truck. The H3 is in Idaho, so I will have to use my Outlaw.
[signature]
they also like the royal coachman[laugh]
[signature]