Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Went fishing for catfish and caught trout
Monday night I was going to do an overnighter at Bird Island with Jed. Whomever named it Bird Island chose the right name, there are so many birds that is really noisy out there. Fishing was slow (I caught about a 2 1/2 pounder, and I missed two other bites and that was it), and the wind was blowing more than I like, so about 10:30 PM we decided to move over and try by Lincoln Beach. I thought that I had gone far enough west, before heading south, but alas I hadn't and I dinged my prop AGAIN on Bird Island. Fishing was even slower at Lincoln Beach and the wind was blowing even harder, so at 12:50 AM we were headed for Strawberry! Jed, had never fished Strawberry from a boat before. At 2:45 AM we were catching minnows, with my casting net, from the dock at Soldier Creek. Fishing at Strawberry was pretty good fishing with minnows early and trolling later. I ended up getting at the most 1 hour of sleep --- I may need to put a restriction that I no longer take anyone fishing with me who is young enough to be my son, because I'm afraid the days of getting by with only one hour of sleep have passed me by many moons ago.
[signature]
Great report Kent. It's hell to get old isn't it. But we've sure had a lot of fun getting there! Al
[signature]
Kent,
Where would I find a casting net for minnows?

Zug Bug
[signature]
I purchased mine at Sportsman's but they didn't have any the last time I checked. You can purchase them from many sources online. I have been told that Bass Pro Shops online has the best deals for them. Utah law states that they "[size 1]shall not exceed 10 feet in length or width"[/size], and for the minnows around here I would use mesh of no larger than 3/8".
[signature]
Hey, I'm a lot younger than you and I know that I'd never make it on an hour of sleep! Hat's off to you.....you've got to have a lot more energy than me ! :-)

-Jack
[signature]
hey I resemble that remark. I thought it was a lot of fun. Hey thanks again for taking me out there kent. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. If we go again I will try not to keep you up so late [Wink] I will try and get out there to pick up my lantern.
jed
[signature]
Here is a picture of a nice cutthroat that Jed caught. This one actually broke the rubber band on the downrigger!

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=112;]
[signature]
Wow Kentofnsl , Nice report . I didn't think there was any diehards out there like me . LOL 2 lakes in one night . I general get off work on friday night about 8 to 9 pm and read the post here and pack my stuff and go fishing . Haven't done that kind of fishing for a while but getting use to it now this year . I figure if I go to sleep I wont get up early enough to get to the water before the sun gets up . LOL Hard part is the drive home for sure . Nice fish in the pic .
[signature]