Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Orgy
I went down to the provo river yesterday and what they said on the news was an uderstatement I have never seen that many carp in my life and I am used to seeing alot of carp down there but they are lining both banks for miles and filling up the entire river I went down there to do some bass fishing but the carp have pushed them all out they were nowhere to be found I started throwing spinners for some little browns that we catch there and i would snag a carp on every cast there were a few times that i would hook 2 to 3 different ones on a cast. It was quite a sight. Unfortunately you cant spear or even use your bow to take them because they are trying to protect the June sucker. but in my oppinion having that many carp probably kills off all the june suckers anyway the dwr has been trying to help the junes for years but arent having much success. If anybody wants some carp meet that is the place to go I even saw some people netting them. illegal but they didnt speak english and there were so many so i didnt care I even saw a dwr truck drive by and he didnt stop I am pretty sure he saw them. It was interesting to see and i am sure it has devestating effects to the other fish but just thought i would post it up here.
[signature]
I saw that on the news, it looked pretty sick.
[signature]
I've seen the pictures and bits of the story on the news but I haven't seen enough to know why the carp are going upstream in such great numbers. I find this interesting. Whats going on with all the fish? Could someone please give me the details of why, etc?
[signature]
it is a spawn thing. They always have some go upstream. It is just really escalated in the last two because all of the fish that usually spawn around the rocks can't get to any rocks because of the low water. That drives the majority of them to the tributaries. I really beleive this is a great oppotunity to remove huge numbers of them. It could only help the fishery as a whole if they simply started netting them and donating them to the local dog food factory in Ogden. I am sure they could pull 20 tons of pure carp out of there just as easily as DWR trying to chase them back to the lake as they are now. That just means they will see them again next year.
[signature]
i dont believe its illegal to net carp since they are a non game fish. it might be illegal to net in that area period though. not sure about that
[signature]
The carp arnt in the river because there spawning, the carp had already spawned about a month ago, the DWR doesnt know why the carp are all moveing up the river, just that this same thing happend 10 years ago in 1992 and 1993.
[signature]
it will be remembered as the carp phenomenon of 2003 haha
[signature]