Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to flyfishing, where to go?
Hello all, this is my first post on this board so I hope you can help me out!

I am somewhat new to Utah and now that I'm here I find myself doing more fishing than I ever have before. I've always been a very casual fisherman so in the past I've just picked something out of the tackle box and dropped a line into the water.

I find myself becoming more interested in fishing though, and today I got my first chance to try fishing with a fly rod. I didn't catch one single thing, barely even a look at the fly but I had FUN! So naturally I want to do some more.

So my question for all of you is where should I go near Sandy to find some decent fishing? I figure I'd like to do some stream fishing mostly because I like the scenery.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I have access to a Grigg's starter kit rod and reel, a few flys, lots of spare time currently, and the desire to catch some fish!

-Dan
[signature]
for streams you can try the cottonwood creeks. Also for rivers goto Provo or Weber. For some fast action on lakes head to the Uintas. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Sandy area, you a few put and take ponds that are great to learn on. Plus The Jordan river. All pretty close.
But like Albino said, Provo (lower, middle and upper) Weber, Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood, Millcreek, American Fork, Alpine, also Tibble and Silver Flats for some stillwater.

Welcome to BFT>
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Sandy area, you a few put and take ponds that are great to learn on. Plus The Jordan river. All pretty close.
But like Albino said, Provo (lower, middle and upper) Weber, Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood, Millcreek, American Fork, Alpine, also Tibble and Silver Flats for some stillwater.

Welcome to BFT>[/quote]

Dido! (all except the jordan river [Wink])

-Rich
[signature]
My bad....there aren't any fish in the Jordan![Wink][cool]
[signature]
Or are there......[Wink]

-Rich
[signature]
Nope...nothing in the Jordan![shocked]
[signature]
Well for you lonely trout enthusiasts then there would be nothing in the Jordan.[Wink] But hey for the rest of us- fish fish fish fish[:p]
[signature]
I believe there are no "albinotrout" in the Jordan either. [:p]

here fishy, fishy, fishy.....

-Rich
[signature]
No but there were rainbows at one time.[cool]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]No but there were rainbows at one time.[cool][/quote]

There still are, they just have three eyes now! [laugh]

-Rich
[signature]
[quote richyd4u][quote albinotrout]No but there were rainbows at one time.[cool][/quote]

There still are, they just have three eyes now! [laugh]

-Rich[/quote]

Probably helps them too see the bait better.[:p]
[signature]
No doubt[laugh][laugh][laugh]
I have seen them in there on the rare clear water days.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]No doubt[laugh][laugh][laugh]
I have seen them in there on the rare clear water days.[/quote]

Clear water days.....back in the late 1800's? How old are you FG? [shocked][laugh][Wink]

-Rich
[signature]