Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHERE IN NEW JERSEY CAN I CATCH TROUT?
I'm new to fresh water fishing and I live in union City N.J which is 5 minutes from New york. I want to take my son somewhere in New jersey where we can catch trout. Can anybody suggest a good hot spot? Also what do we use for bait? And last can we eat the trout? When I say eat I ask because some places are cleaner than others.

Thanks

[url "mailto:SOFTBALLMADNESS@YAHOO.COM"]SOFTBALLMADNESS@YAHOO.COM[/url]
[signature]
A good place is the Paulinskill river near newton or the rockaway river in Rockaway
nite crawlers are my bait of choice for trout but you can also try meal worms or berkley dough baits
[signature]
Hey-

Locations:

In Hudson County, you can go to West Hudson County Park Pond in Harrison at the West Hudson County Park. Take I-80 East to I-280 East exit onto Cleveland Avenue. At end of exit ramps, make a left onto Cleveland Ave. Make a left on N.4th St. Go one block and make a right onto Hamilton St. Follow to Schugler Ave and make a left. Park entrance past RR Tracks on left.

Or you could go to Woodcliff Lake in North Bergen at the James J. Braddock Park. Take Rt. 1 & 9 North, make a right on 79th St. Enter at 79th St. where it crosses Bergenline Ave. lake straight ahead after entering park.

Make sure to purchase a license with a "trout stamp" for yourself and for your son if he is older than 16.

There are other locations listed here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/accesscnty.htm

Tackle:
Spinning reel and rod. 4 to 6 lb test is more than plenty. Use size 6 to 12 hooks.

Bait:
Nightcrawlers. Powerbait or Gulp trout dough. Spinners. Spoons.

When:
Saturday April 10th, opening day, can be a nightmare. It might be better to go with a kid a week or two later after a stocking day during the week: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/trt_alloc..._dates.htm
[signature]
Round valley reservoir ...its in Somerville which should be about 35 miles from you ....great fishery ....loads of trout that are good to eat
[signature]
Trout Fishing Lakes In New Jersey

Rockaway River and many of the major lakes including Lake Hopatcong, Merrill Creek Reservoir, Monksville Reservoir, Oak Ridge Reservoir, Round Valley Reservoir, Spruce Run Reservoir, Swartswood Lake and Wanaque Reservoir have one or more species of trout. Many other streams, rivers and some ponds also contain trout. Click here to find a list of New Jersey waters stocked with trout.

The New Jersey state record brook trout was pulled from Rockaway River. Both the NJ state record brown trout and the state record lake trout were taken out of Round Valley Reservoir. The New Jersey state record rainbow trout came from Lake Hopatcong.

Rainbow Trout
Oncorhynchus mykiss

Known for its tasty pink flesh, beauty and gameness, the rainbow trout is a favorite among the vast majority of trout fishing anglers. It also appeals to the fly fisherman as it can be tempted to take properly presented flies as well as other baits and lures. It feeds on small insects, minnows, crustaceans and worms. Rainbow trout fishing is fun for both sport and dining pleasures.

In waters that allow such migration the rainbow trout will remain in streams until it reaches 6" to 9" in length and then travel to lakes or oceans where it will bulk up and then return to the streams or rivers to spawn. Steelhead trout are rainbow trout which have adapted to the salt water environment. Fishing for steelhead is very similar to fishing for rainbows. However in winter the steelhead typically prefer spoons or bait rather than flies.

Brook Trout
Salvelinus fontinalis

Brook trout are found in clear cold waters which seldom exceed 68 degrees. As the waters to warm, the brook trout population begins to diminish. Its primary food source is small insects, mollusks, crustaceans and other small fishes.

Fishing for brook trout is the easiest of all the trouts. Look for gravel bottom streams with a moderate current, plenty of waterfalls and ponds which include rocks and cover. Overhanging trees offer additional shade, attract insects and offer protection from preying birds. Duplicate their food source and you are in business.

Brown Trout
Salmo trutta

The brown trout can tolerate slightly warmer waters than the brook trout and have taken over some of the fisheries formerly inhabited by the brookies. It is much more wary than other trouts which help ensure its longevity in waters where other trouts get fished out.

When brown trout fishing look for quiet water with lots of cover. Logs, under cuts in the bank, rock shelves, overhanging trees and brush are some of the brown trouts favorite hiding places. The larger they get, the more wary they become and are more inclined to feed at night under the protection of darkness.

Brown trout feed on worms, minnows, insects and crustaceans. Dry fly fishing for pan-sized browns is a favorite technique as they rise well to these crafty presentations. Larger browns tend to feed more on flesh and favor nutritious crustaceans, worms or small fishes. When fly fishing for large brown trout use wet flies which mimic the local natural baitfish.

Lake Trout
Salvelinus namaycush

The lake trout is by far the largest of the trouts. It lives in deep cold lakes and is also known as Great Lakes trout, Mackinaw trout and salmon trout. It feeds on virtually all forms of flesh which abound in its home waters. Minnows, smelt, eels and any variety of small fishes are part of the lake trout's diet. It's rich flaky flesh makes it a tasty table favorite.

In early spring these fish can be taken in the lake shallows on dry flies, wet flies and other slow moving presentations. Once the surface waters warm the lake trout retreats to deep water where trolling with heavy tackle is the preferred method. Spoons and baitfish imitating lures worked near the bottom provide the best results. As summer warms the water, cowbells and other flashing devices trolled deep often can get you to the depth where the lake trout stalk.

Organizations & Resources
[signature]