Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small compact inflatble life vests.
I've decided to smarten up and get myself a birthday present, especially with bouncing around on UT. Lake and other shallow reservoirs in high winds. I'm a tuber and am in the market for a "best buy" inexpensive inflatable life vest that I can wear while tubing that ain't going to be big and cumbersome so I can still do my fishing unencumbered, or reasonably so and won't cost me a leg and an arm. Haven't bought one to date because they just don't seem to be very inexpensive and I am short on $. Any suggestions as to sources, brands, etc.??
[signature]
I spend my free time browsing the internet for good deals on anything fishing related and I have yet to find a 'good deal' on an inflatable life vest. With the boating season coming to an end shortly you may be able to find a deal at a local sporting goods store.
I've got some connections and I'll look around for ya but no promises, that's a tough one lol.
[signature]
[#500000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]I suspect that the liability would be tremendous for a company to make a cheap inflatable that didn't work even once when it counted. I personally do a lot of boating and tubing, and my own preference is to use the inflatable in the boat, and just keep a small Stearns vest tucked in the tube, for emergencies and to satisfy the requirement. If the wind came up bad and it got scary, you can bet I'd put it on. I've always been reluctant to use the inflatable in the tube anyway - - the deployment device on mine is near the waist. It's not hard to imagine it going under water briefly, and setting off the inflator, which itself could be dangerous in a tube. I've seen the inflatables for about $70 for the manual type. I just can't imagine a company making a cheapo[/size][/font][/#500000][#500000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4] version, too much liablility. Just my thoughts....
[/size][/font][/#500000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I have a pair of the Cabelas self inflators that I bought in the Lehi store. They had a rack of them on sale – buy one get the second at half price. Then I had a $20 off coupon so I got them for around $60 each. They are on sale occasionally in the sale catalogs that I get at least once a month.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]You might find one in the stores bargain cave at a reasonable cost. All returns are put in there at a reduced cost.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Also, you might find some deals on scuba diving gas/manual inflators on the Net. One of them might work for you.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
For your use, I'd recommend getting one that doesn't auto-inflate when it gets wet or you'll go through a lot of cartridges on a float tube.

Cabelas sells a belt that resembles a small fannypack and stays out of the way until you need it. I got mine in the bargain cave for $40 and wear it when I'm out fishing on the bow of my boat by myself.

They're on sale for $50 right now.
[signature]
[#500000]I notice that the belt has a 35 lb. bouyancy, which is the same as some of expensive jackets. It is [/#500000]
[#500000]not recommended for people who can't swim?[/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[signature]
All manual inflatables have this requirement because you have to pull the cord or it sinks. Also, this one in particular is only strapped around your waste and must be slipped over your neck after inflating it.

Nope. It isn't a type I offshore survival suit, but it's infinitely better than nothing if I fall off my boat and the wind blows it away faster than I can swim to it. I have a couple of much more expensive inflatable jackets but they're still kind of restrictive and hot to wear in the sun. I'm the kind of guy who can't even stand long-sleeved shirts.
[signature]