Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
got a float tube.
I just purchased a float tube today from Garts. I'm wondering if I made a wise purchase. Some no name brand "Outfitters Expedition" model pioneer. Their list price is 129 and I talked them down to 69 bucks.

Pantoon style with foam seat and backrest. the pontoons are removable and you zip them up in the outer case before inflating. Kind of looks like "[font "Arial"]The Kennebec" or the "fat cat" but poorer quality I'm sure. [/font]

[font "Arial"]Anyone familliar with this tube. Please tell me it's not crap. If it is letme know though so I can take it back.[/font]

[font "Arial"]Al[/font]
[signature]
69 bucks for pontoon style? wow thats not too bad. hopefully someone sais they are good. I dont know much about them but i'd pick one up at that price. Which garts did you get it at?
[signature]
The float tube forum knows all , ask tubedude . Hey do you go to this forum ? [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81[/url]; I think its cheap enough for sure . I own a pontoon I paid over 500 for . I been think of get rid of it . I never use it much . Like my u tube , easy to carry with gear too ! Lot of the cheaper tubes out there take short cuts in making them to keep cost down . Hope you like it . Didn't you check out the one online I sent ya ? It was free shipping and 5 $ off on first purchase . We will have to hook up and get that thing wet . LOL
[signature]
Yes I did sorry I didn't write back. I needed something fast to use tomorrow so I went shopping around. We got to do that soon, after the holidays[Smile]
[signature]
I got it at the garts near redwood and 56 S in taylorsville behind the harmons and close to the "spaghetti factory". I'm going to try and upload a pic. Man it took me 2 hours to assemble!

[Image: tube.jpg]
Well I guess just click on the attachment. The colors are kingd up unapealing, that's probably why they had trouble selling them.
[signature]
Looks like a tube yes yer re . Did you get fins ? I seen Fishboy do it with out but I was glad he got the work out instead of me . I just sold a set but I have 3 more sets of fins I may sell . That Garts is close to my home .
[signature]
no didn't get fins yet. Where I'm going the water is about 80' so I'm thinking of getting a cheapy pair from k-mart or something for now since I don't need waders. What fins you got?
[signature]
[cool]Yo, Hustler. Don't be thinking you got hustled just yet. I am not familiar with the craft you mentioned, and I can't find any info on the 'Net. But, that doesn't mean you made a bad purchase. All of the well known manufacturers of today once had to break into the market with discounts and special deals too. You might have gotten lucky. Be optimistic.

In terms of price, you made a sweet deal. It is too soon to tell whether or not you could have done better in terms of quality and long service. Those things will take time to find out. I have used and field tested over a hundred different craft over the years, and there are some (Like the Kennebec) that it took me over a year to decide I didn't really like, and why. (small pockets, poor valves, hard to handle in the wind, etc.).

For something you needed in a hurry, I think you probably scored a decent craft. Since you had no experience with a pontoon before, it probably took on the feeling of putting together a kid's bicycle the night before Christmas. It's always more difficult the first time. The real key will be to find out whether or not it is comfortable, serviceable and does it "fish well"?

If you decide you would rather have something else, I don't doubt that you could unload it for as much as you paid for it...or more. But, you should be a bit more discriminating in your next acquisition. I am attaching a writeup I did recently to help prospective new "flotation fisherfolk" make better decisions on buying a new craft. I'll be happy to address any specific questions you might have before disposing of any more "frogskins".

If you keep your new craft, I would be interested in your evaluation of it. Send me a PM or post it on the Float Tube board. Thanks.
[signature]
I got some XL Mares Plana avanti ( Good fins ), but they cost as much as your tube . I want to get another set , just in large size . I also have some older browning fins I let you have for 10$ and some force fins at 75$ or offer .Cost 130.00 new . I need to keep 2 sets but will get rid of one set . Check out Tubedudes info and slow down a little . I would of loan you my pontoon with fins and oars If I new you needed something in a hurry . Good luck and catch some gills .
[signature]