Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenndale 9/25
Well this was my last fish day till ice fishing starts as the ducks will start falling next saturday. Went to Glenndale yesterday for the last fling and what a ball we had. Friend and I ended up with 29 crappie and one nice bow that swallowed the hook so had to keep it. Neighbor brought in a nice 14.5 " large mouth, forgot to use the camera but was very nice fish.

Most crappie averaged 9 inches and gills 8-9 with many at the 9 inch range and right at a pound. Wow what fun. Heres a couple pics before they become slabs.

The water is way down but still have ramp to launch a boat. One boat and one tuber on the resevoir when we were but that was it.

Hope every one has a great fall and keep the fish coming [cool]
[signature]
i'm ready for the ducks as well. have already seen a couple woodducks on the land i hunt got 1 last year but want to do a couple drakes and a hen.
[signature]
Those look really nice. Do you mind my asking what area of the lake and how deep you were fishing?
Thanks!
[signature]
Thanks and not at all, upper end of res, and i dont use a fish finder but im guessing about 8-10 feet. We dont and didnt do well sitting and casting once we found them so we trolled all the time. Was in first gear out of 5 on my minkota if that helps. Have been using chartruese colored crappie jig, doesnt matter what the color scheme is on them, as long as it has a lot of chartruese in it.

I think from what im finding, this is where the big crappie and gills are gonna be once we get hard water too.

Good luck to ya all and knock em dead. Im just glad we have such a great pan fisherie down that way, sure wish we could get a few more around east idaho. I think they would do great if F&G would introduce a few to some other resevoirs around east idaho.
[signature]
not only would they do well but they would taste better than the trout do in alot of the warm water res.
[signature]
What are you doing with the woodducks may i ask? you putting them on the wall?
[signature]
Besides Glendale, Twin, Lamont, Johnson, Oneida, Weston, and Condie all have panfish. Winder and Foster did too, but the evil ones drained them. Not many more places to put panfish. I would agree that crappie would be nice to see in more places though.
[signature]
Ya I know the others have blue gill but onle 2 places with crappie that I know of, twin and glendale. I know they would do well in the other resevoirs if tried, but I thing F&G is geared towards trout due to the visitor to idaho preference for trout. And I agree, the pan fish are a much much better tasting fish all the way around. some times a good trout from cold water isnt bad, but still cant get that nice white fresh sweet taste of a good ole slab.

I think if it be known, there are many more fisherman taking pan fish, crappie and gills, than anyone really realizes not only in south east idaho, but in idaho in general.

O well, at least we dont have to drive to brownlee to catch a few nice slabs once in a while, even though brownlee is a hoot to fish!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I hope to get out to Glendale a time or two before it gets too cold. Won't be for a few weeks though. I thought maybe it was the upper end. I haven't had great luck at the dam end, but then too it was wrong time of day, and the skiers were whipping everything into a chocolate soda.

I too would love to see crappie in more res. in Idaho. They seem to be more consistent in size than the Bluegills. Is it my imagination or do the crappie help to keep the gills from over populating and stunting?
Maybe it is just the food supply or some other issue but in Twin since the crappie were introduced the gills are much larger, harder to find though!
[signature]
ya the woodduck is in the freezer waiting to be mounted. Was going to do it last year but you know things are with money right now. pluss everyewere i called the prices were outragous so i thought i would wait.
[signature]
i would like to see them in weston and lamont. both warm water and i think they would do great, and if you have ate a trout out of either... yuck... you would agree that it wouldnt hurt to try.

foster did have a few crappie, i think they flowed down the pipe from glendale. I never knew anyone that caught one but when they drained it they were there.
[signature]
I know a guy in Preston who does ducks and he does a REALLY good job. He has lots of pix and im think if i member right he doesnt charge that much but wants you to spread his name with word of mouth (he is just starting out you know) so if you would like i will get you info on him and let you know how much.....
[signature]
There are a couple of crappie in Lamont now. I caught one, and I know a few other people on here have as well. Maybe they'll manage to spawn and get a population going there.
[signature]
Im jealous ! We wasted our day on Twin Lakes....brought all of my kids. We caught 2
good sized perch and a dozen 3 " rs but no gills or bass. Water is VERY LOW-like it
normally is but I expected to find more bg?? Oh well, I'll stick to my trout waters I know
and love, save the pan fish for hard water!
[signature]
I did catch a few Crappie out of Lamont , so there are some in there. They were around 4-5" is all, but they will grow up. McTucker Ponds also has Blue Gill, LMB, Green Sunfish, Catfish and Trout. I am thinking Ririe would be a good place for some BlueGill since they have Bass in there. Usually F&G put the two together since they cohabitate and the BG are Bass food.
[signature]
ya find out how much he charges and how much he wants upfront. also if he has pics have him email them to me. if he can.
[signature]
I only caught the one crappie out of Lamont, but it was a little larger, maybe 8". There's some nice brushy habitat in there for them to spawn in, so hopefully they become established.
[signature]