Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FUN FISHIN' ON THE FOURTH
[cool][size 1]Happy 4th of July, everybody. TubeBabe and I just got in from some full contact fishing on the fourth. We got a personal preview and demo of virtually every make and model of canoe, rubber raft, personal watercraft, fishing and ski boat and pontoon boat available in Arizona. The operators all felt personally compelled to get as close as possible to our Fat Cats (float tubes) to make sure we didn't miss anything. If the wind had kicked up a bit more, we probably could have met some nice sailboarders and sail boaters too.

It wasn't what you'd call a "bang up" Fourth. But, it wasn't a "fizzle" either. We got on the water before 6 AM. The air temp was 80 and the water temp was 81. Not a hypothermia day, even without waders. When we got off the water about 1 PM, the water temp was 85 and the air temp 110. Cool.

We got only a few half-hearted taps until the sun hit the water. Then it got slower. I had two yellow bass in the basket by 9 AM. Neither of us caught any other cpecies all day. About 9:30, I sonared my way out into deeper water. We had been doing well between 12 and 15 feet, but the fish just weren't showing up today. In 20 to 23 feet, however, I began to see some small groups of fish. I even got some of them to bite.

TubeBabe's walkie talkie was malfunctioning so I couldn't clue her in to the action. She usually ignores me anyway, but if I find fish, she likes to come fish by me and "jinx" me. I caught about thirty or forty before the boat traffic scared the fish off for awhile.

I kicked over to where TubeBabe had just finished putting a nice crappie in her basket, taken on the edge of the expanding weed line. I shared some ice water from my jug and told her about the area I had found in deeper water. Since she had been getting bites regularly, including a couple of "hefty pull-downs", she elected to stay put, while I went back out to the deeper water.

The big cruiser that had parked over my fish had just left, so I was optimistic. When they had cranked up the onboard stereo, the marks on my sonar disappeared. When I returned to the vacated spot, I was happy to see some new arrivals below my craft. Some of them even had their mouths open and I began scoring some decent yellow bass with regularity. Again, I tried to get TubeBabe's attention, but she was fishing with her back toward me, and I couldn't make myself heard over the noise of the boats and the beach crowd.

Just before the fish shut down for awhile, TubeBabe saw me waving and came out to join the fun. I had caught another 30 or 40...some that were my largest of the day. I now had a nice batch in the basket for a good scampi skillet. When TubeBabe moved into the prime area, she quickly got one nice yellow bass and one dink. Then, the jinx set in and it was over for both of us for the day.

Although it was hot (water and weather0, it was enjoyable out in the water. The breeze came up a couple of times, but never became unfishable. And, although we have certainly had better fishing days, we got to stretch our string and bend our sticks. No big fish, but a fair number of fair fish.

All in all, a much better way to spend a Friday than in the office. And, when we got back to our car, in the picnic area, we were reminded of the great country we have, and the freedoms we enjoy, but often take for granted. As is common in many recreational areas around our country these days, there was a good representation of several ethnic groups...all enjoying our day of independence, and what it represented to them...besides just a paid holiday. Saw a lot of people having a good time with their families. And, saw a lot of US flags displayed all over the park too, by proud Americans of all origins. [/size]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude sounds like you had a great day out there do you have any pics of the fish if sothey would be nice to see the yellow bass what lake were you at there in airazona. But anyways good luck if you head back out for them while you are down there.
[signature]
[cool]Sorry, Triple F. I was fishing on Saguaro Lake, near Phoenix. It is only a half hour away...both for me and 3 million other folks. If you hit it at the right time, and you learn the lake, you can usually figure on at least catching some of the fiesty little yellow bass.

I only shot one pic today...a sunrise over 4 Peaks. I thought it was neat because the clouds had some "virga" coming down out of them. That is rain that evaporates before it can hit the ground. Makes great sunrise and sunset shots.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage257740.jpg]

If you are not familiar with yellow bass, they are a small brother to the white bass, and a cousin to the striper and wiper. Like the wiper, their lines along the side have a sudden break in them. The white and the striper usually have straight lines.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0226159.jpg]

(archived picture. The yellow color doesn't show up well, but it does in the next pic.)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1706891.jpg]
[signature]
Sounds like a great day of catching and fishing. Thanks for the report TubeDude!
[signature]