Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spike Bull 1st evening
Went out with a friend hunting and in the evening we were surprised by about 20 elk. I glassed the elk quick and found a spike toward the back of the group. I told my friend which one it was and we started following it in our scopes. He shot twice and missed, and I couldn't find the elk in my scope because it was up to 18 power. Finally the elk skylined himself and was running to the right and I picked a spot in front of him and waited for him to enter my crosshairs. I shot at the brisket level (326 yards) but the elk kept going. My buddy shot it again and hit it in the neck and broke the neck/throat midway up. I thought I missed and he tagged it. Well, when we skinned the elk it was hit in the front leg up high and ripped out the top of the muscle without touching the bone. So being a good sport my buddy says since I slowed him down, he actually stopped and my friend finished it. He is going to give me half the elk. Good friend. here is a pic of the spike this morning hanging.... Without me hitting it first this elk would have been gone.

[inline "Spike Elk.JPG"]
[signature]
Nice work on baggin' the bull. It'll put some great tasting meat on the table.
[signature]
Don
What did I tell you about opening day?
[signature]
That was the only spike I saw that day but some of my friends shot at (missed)other spikes. This morning I was back up there and saw nothing but a cow and calf under 200 yards. Two of my friends there have cow tags.... They were in another spot and had three spikes come down the hill in front of them at about 300 yards and not spike tags. We all have seen so far about a dozen or more spikes in our area..... I have to work this week but will be back all of next week to close the season. Well not really, I have a cow tag still for Wyoming.... At least I will have some fresh spike elk meat to start off with. I cut out my part of the Loin and left it behind with two of the guys there and he washed it up right away and cooked it up and it was super tender and great tasting. The elk is already at the processors and will be hanging for about 10 days. The processor said he had 12 elk come in today. How is the fishing going???
[signature]
Thanks, my friend is going to burger his half of the elk. I told him he is nuts to burger a young bull. Him and his wife have a cow tag each and I told him to burger one of those, not this young bull.... He prefers hamburger over the steaks.... crazy.... lots of spike elk where I am at now....
[signature]
Yea, that is crazy, some people don't like wild meat but elk is better than cow in my opinion. I can understand making burger out of some of the front quarters but the rear quarters and tenderloin are some of the best steaks and roast on the planet[Smile].
[signature]
He dropped it off yesterday afternoon to the processor and I told him to steak everything possible for me and burger the rest. We ate my part of the loin yesterday before I left and it was tender and great tasting... cant wait to get it back and start eating it....
[signature]