Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another First Blood!
Well our Mule Deer season opened up on October 1st, and it was an event that my household has been waiting for all year.

My oldest daughter turned 12 (which is hunting age in Wyoming) this year and she was determined to hunt. So after taking Hunter Safety in the spring and passing with a perfect score I decided that she deserved to hunt with her own rifle rather than my hand-me-down .243. So my wife and I bought her a new Remington 700 in .243, and put a matching Barska scope on it.

We spent many hours this summer at the range getting her used to shooting her new rifle in various positions, so she would be ready for the hunt.
[inline 08242009(002).jpg]

By time October came around I felt confident that she would be able to make a good shot on a buck if the opportunity came about.

Then came last Friday, October 2nd. We did not get off to an early start because my daughter had to attend half a day of school because of morning volleyball practice, but I told her that we would pick her up at lunch time and head out for an evening hunt. Once we picked her up and drove to where I felt she would have an opportunity to kill a buck, we immediately started seeing deer almost everywhere we looked.

We had spotted almost 70 deer and had a couple of blown spot and stalk opportunities on small bucks, when we happened to come a across a nice little buck while driving to another canyon. The deer was about 120 yards off of the little two track we were driving on, so my daughter and myself got out and walked about 15 yards closer and set up, while my wife stayed in the truck and broke out the video camera.

The buck was with a doe, and after a few tense moments waiting for an opportunity, the buck finally presented my daughter an opportunity for a shot. All of the practice this summer paid off with a perfectly placed heart shot. The small buck ran about 50 yards before piling up. My daughter was so excited she handed me her rifle and started jumping up and down. It was a great experience not only for her but also myself!

Here are a couple pics of her buck.
[inline "Wyoming Deer 080.JPG"]

[inline "Wyoming Deer 081.JPG"]
Also here is a link to the video of this hunt. It isn't the best but it works for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdWkgfpzzLM
[signature]
Most excellent braz! Tell her congrats.
[signature]
Awesome and congrats to your daughter. I know all-too-well about the volleyball practices. Both of my daughters are playing.
[signature]
great shot and nice deer, that should be great eating also. Now you will become addicted and be a lifetime hunter like all of us. Welcome to the group.... Nice going Braz taking her out and introducing her to hunting... way to go....
[signature]
Very cool Braz! congrats to her on her first kill!![cool]
[signature]
Very neat. Congrats to your daughter.
Fishjon
[signature]
Sounds like she's a chip off the ol' block, Braz. Way to go, those are some awesome memories being made right there.
[signature]
What a great story and family event. Congratulations to your daughter on a great shot.

Also good for you and your wife to take the time to make sure she was ready for the hunt and the shot.
[signature]
Thats great that you were abe to share that time with your Daughter braz. Great video and good for you guys. great memories.Congrats to both of You.!!
[signature]