Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Strawberry
Heading up to Strawberry this weekend, and normally I am jigging, but want to try the fly rod. Anyone have any advice if I don't have sinking line? Should I use sinking tippit? Would streamers be the right thing to use? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
[signature]
Sinking line would greatly help your catch rate, but I guess you can fish a floating line with a very long leader. Streamers of all types should be getting dynamite right now. As the weather cools, all the way to ice-up....it should be really good. Good luck! (fish close to the shores)
[signature]
I should be there Saturday if the hubby doesn't wimp out.
Pokymon will be here so we plan on it for sure, plus some guys from another forum.

Sinking line is a definite must, but as T30 mentioned, a floating line and a LONG leader.
I deep nymph with floating line and as long as a 30' leader with a break away indicator.
If you are on the fish, this is really fun. I found a little cove 20' deep and was using 18' leader
Don't be afraid to think small. NYMPHS and smaller Buggers in #12.
[signature]
My friend who is out here from PA to fish with me this week and I fished Strawberry Monday night. We were really excited about all that we heard about the Cutts cruising the shallows. However, I am not sure if we were just in the wrong place, but between the two of us, we only caught one fish - a 20 inch cutt my friend landed. My friend saw just a little activity and I saw nothing, and we were pounding things hard. Does anyone have any advice or maybe even could direct us to a specific place to go? We were fishing East Chicken Creek area ... and it all seemed pretty shallow. We are both from PA and not too used to fly fishing in stillwaters. I would really like to have the kind of night we were anticipating there. I think we may even go tomorrow evening if someone can point us in the right direction. THANKS!
[signature]
I would go deeper. The water is still warmer I bet.
We went last year at this time and I thought shallow and slow. The complete opposite. I was catching them at 40' and fast retrieve.
I will know more Saturday, but some friends hit it last weekend and did great.
[signature]
[quote shadowcaster]My friend who is out here from PA to fish with me this week and I fished Strawberry Monday night. We were really excited about all that we heard about the Cutts cruising the shallows. However, I am not sure if we were just in the wrong place, but between the two of us, we only caught one fish - a 20 inch cutt my friend landed. My friend saw just a little activity and I saw nothing, and we were pounding things hard. Does anyone have any advice or maybe even could direct us to a specific place to go? We were fishing East Chicken Creek area ... and it all seemed pretty shallow. We are both from PA and not too used to fly fishing in stillwaters. I would really like to have the kind of night we were anticipating there. I think we may even go tomorrow evening if someone can point us in the right direction. THANKS![/quote]

Sorry to hear that Shadowcaster, I know you've been excited about this trip with your friend. I would listen to FG about going a little deeper if you are striking out shallow. Still might be a little early for the extreme shallow bite. Stay in Chicken Creek and head out a little deeper. Use intermediate sinking line and strip some buggers, don't forget to follow those buggers with a size #10 BH hares ear. KILLER! I hope you have butter luck!

-Rich
[signature]
Thanks everyone. Decided to go ahead and get the sinking line. I am excited for tomorrow.
[signature]