Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trouble with plastics: Transgender Bass!
This week's Stewardship Tip (October 6, 2009)

[font "Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][#333333][size 2]Many soft plastic lures are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Manufacturers use plasticizers, often compounds called phthalates (1), to keep lures soft and pliable. Phthalates leach out rapidly because they do not chemically bind to the PVC resin.

The problem is this. Several research studies have identified phthalates as [url "http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102738731943&s=88&e=001WFZ79qaCvTaVVdJ7ugOwG2YT-zbP1jaViW3lWpt16Q4RbrSCiDPCDF9TjUbch1ShGJmINKLLC0t6PuQtQLIyZLTSRPnm5qTPih3NfsW71v4XdoBCedLV4PKrC-d5iuHMtJDiud1l7OyLXuOqDDAvwXP1oy7OzOUHEuozdO1fhYpjj5ziUsGZti4Tt0DGOpLsSvwRM1YGYAE="]endocrine disrupters[/url]. In studies, rodents exposed to high doses of certain phthalates have exibited changes in hormone levels. Succeeding generations of the test population have also had birth defects.

The extent to which they distrupt the endocrine system is disputed and some researchers have stated that the existing research needs to be conducted on a larger sample.

Phthalates comprise about 50 to 80% of soft, plastic baits. Given their volume and the potential dangers, we might question our reasoning for exposing fish directly to soft, plastic baits by using them as lures. Quite honestly, we think that the jury is still out. Numerous researchers, however, are finding male fish, throughout North America, that have [url "http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102738731943&s=88&e=001WFZ79qaCvTZqQ3F7fRk-TWEeD6smIo2mRU5_KXHYOJvzdDHC5I3L9cH7BDlp0Ib9n96iPl_OOyc4EzUVkk7IYBl9JsIhWe91AMZqTw9JizVn_gPfES5NlZrl8wgjhRQK8bNxwv2HY2ncFRNs8jw2QYAz2pT9GIf16fzqWOzNX-Mmd9YwORPoV42tMfXUcCLWra_3kL8Zn6s="]female characteristics[/url]. Bass, in particular, seem to be succeptible to this anamoly. Are phthalates a cause? It certainly gives an individual pause to think.

Consider, though, that plastic, according to many surveys, accounts for 70% of marine debris. Plastic is indestructible settles in the sediment of aquatic ecosystems. According to noted angler, Keith Warren, "the bottom of Lake Okeechobee is said to be coated with enough soft plastic lures to make a pile large enough to cushion a tank dropped from a plane." In addition, discarded and lost soft plastic lures are often ingested by fish and become lodged in their gastrointestinal tract.

We certainly find enough motivation to look for alternatives to soft plastic baits based on the trash issue alone. As more fish are found that display reproductive abnormalities, we feel that it is imporatnt to consider the damage that phthalates may cause. The future of fish is definitely in our best interest.

There are numerous biodegradable alternatives to soft, plastic baits. FoodSource, Big Bite Baits, Berkley, and Fishbites all produce baits that work and that will degrade if the fall off in the water.

Reducing trash and minimizing our fishes exposure to phthalates. We'd say that's a "win/win" situation.

Check out biodegradable baits at your local tackle shop today. And check out what the good folks at [url "http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102738731943&s=88&e=001WFZ79qaCvTbNJCAlcYmRw5MtOh7LyGfEDh2fenow_umEP8A8eY4M8KbCg9yULtOm4Pmk768cjh-yiTQ_DRUh2Ybm0WbXHElJYZ-v7qT2R6J66Vc3qNX2GNOz_oS0ZERnEWygcrwZ0p6tvILrpW3gK-SCTPljf37O"]In-Fisherman[/url] have written about them!

(1) Pronounced tha-lates, we couldn't figure it out the first time either.
[/size][/#333333][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]That is one of the problems in using fluorocarbon leaders & tippet material. It lives on forever.[Image: scaredworried.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I read an article in a fishing magazine not too long ago that talked about this. They did a study on trout and found that trout that ingested soft plastics were not about to eat enough food to sustain healthy well-being. They would eat 1/4 of what they should be eating. Obviously this resulted in malnutrition fish and a huge mortality rate. I want what's best for the fish but at the same time, I have a hard time letting go of my senkos lol. But without the fish I wouldn't be able to fish. So I'm going to using a lot more biodegradable baits and live bait.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Glad to hear that trophytrout. Too bad more people don't share your sentiments.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
It really is a shame when I'm out fishing and I see people who have no respect for wildlife or the fish. Most fish aren't as hardy as most people think they are. But the littering thing is what really gets me. How hard is it to carry out what you carry in? You know what I mean?
[signature]
Good article. I've heard of the bass getting female traits. We always save our old plastics for the trash, but some get lost to fish. It would add up as more folks loose plastics. Biodegradable may happen some day for us bass addicts.
[signature]