Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sugar Creek Ranch
Thursday night I'll be off headed for 3 days at Sugar Creek Ranch up near the Oregon border (Mount Shasta area).

[url "http://www.sugarcreekranch.com"]http://www.sugarcreekranch.com[/url]

I'm going with the club I belong to, Golden Gate Anglers & Casting Club.

http://www.ggacc.org

There are 8 lakes (ponds really) with only seven of us anglers gonna be there.

Although this is a pay for play place, it is famous for lots of VERY large rainbow / steelhead hybrids up to 20lbs.

I intend to float tube the larger ponds and shore fish the smaller ones. They're predicting great weather, so I think this is going to be major fun.

I will update with a report when I return.
[signature]
that looks like a great place to go.. look forward to your post on how it went hopefully with lots of pictures... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there Michael - looks like a great place to get away to catch some big ones. Nice looking club that you belong to with it's own casting pond. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I worked at FALCON'S LEDGE for a couple of years and it sounds allot like what you are doing. Check it out.
The lakes were stocked with Kamloops and they were HUGE.
Just because they are in there, doesn't mean you are going to catch them though...so good luck and allot of pictures.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]
Just because they are in there, doesn't mean you are going to catch them though...so good luck and allot of pictures.[/quote]

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence!
[signature]
Sorry, I just meant, the PAY TO PLAY thing. It isn't like fishing in a bucket, you DO have to work for it.

You'll be fine I am sure and don't forget the STOP PAIN for that shoulder[Wink][cool]
[signature]
These fish are pretty well educated in the ways of fly fishermen. I know they aren't going to take like rubber hatchery trout.

I heard of one 32" rainbow in there that had three flies in its jaw last time it was caught. He's probably plenty wary.
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] Nice looking club that you belong to with it's own casting pond. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font][/quote]

There are actually THREE casting ponds there. Some pretty good flycasters have been or are members.... Mel Krieger (RIP) and Tim and Steve Rajeff are some of them.

They built that lodge and the ponds back in 1938 as a WPA project.
Best of luck to you up there big guy ! That place
looks like a totaly nice place to spend some time.
Take some picture and post them please.
Go get them tiger [Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Caught 3 rainbows. Biggest was about 8". I truly and completely suck.
[signature]
NO man !!! You DONT suck !!!
One thing you have to remember is that fish in those
places are "educated". They know whats up. So it
maybe kinda hard to get them sometimes.
Also like I did say many times before-To me fishing
is about geting out of the house, out there in fresh air,
mountains , rivers, outdoors and all that good stuff.
Scoring few fish on top of that is just a bonus.[Smile]
Now, you did get to go to a very nice place and got
few fish, so...............................all good the way I see it.[Wink]

But anyways, got any pictures from there?

Peter
[signature]
Here are a couple pictures I took. The first was at dawn, I was the only one there:

[inline dawnlaunch.jpg]
[signature]
This was in the afternoon the day before. You can see how clear the water is, and that is without polarized glasses.

[Image: 678321084_R8G6i-O.jpg]
[signature]
Wow, I love this second picture.Cool place.
Thanx for the pictures.

Peter
[signature]
I absolutely agree with Michael on his response.. there are a lot of people (me included) that would kill for a few rainbows like that.. :-)... but .. as Peter said the more important thing is you got out and on the water .. and that is always a good thing... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]