Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Trip Monday 10/19
[cool][#0000ff]Seems like Utah Lake is bad luck for planning a BFT floatilla. Always weather or something else that postpones it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's take a shot at Huntington Reservoir next Monday, the 19th. Several of us seem to feel it would work scheduling wise and there are a few who have never fished it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love Huntington, especially this time of year. It is a bit cool in the mornings but the tiger trout are on the prowl and they are beautiful in their fall wardrobes. What's more, tigers fight harder than just about any other trout you can catch of the same size. They average under 15 inches in Huntington, but there are many larger ones. Some over 24 inches every year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a couple of maps to help those who want to go and don't know the way. Basically you head south to the Hwy 6 turnoff in Spanish Fork and go east to the Hwy 89 turnoff a few miles up the road. Then go south to Fairview to the Hwy 31 turnoff to Scofield, Huntington, Electric Lake, etc. The gas station and convenience store is a good place to make a restroom stop. The primitive toilets at the lake can be cold and odiferous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is several miles up Fairview Canyon to the intersection with the Skyline Highway. Highway 264 goes left toward the upper end of Electric Lake and down to Scofield. Turn right to hit Huntington, Cleveland and the dam end of Electric Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The first lake you will see, to the south (right) of the road is Huntington. Go clear to the dam, pull into the parking area and launch at the ramp or off the sandy/muddy shoreline. Bring your camera. It's purty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will plan to leave Salt Lake about 5 AM, for the 2 hour drive. Not sure about my passenger at this point. Ride sharing is good on those longer trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those who want to make a full day of it, or fish another lake, you can go out the "back way" and hit Scofield on your way to Hwy 6. Or you can stop at Electric Lake for some cutts.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the infor. Never been there or fished it before so this will be fun. What do the tigers usually take there? Bugs, spoons, jigs, or spinners, or what???????????[Image: dumb.gif]
I will put it on the calendar in hopes that mamatrout can keep from filling it up this time.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Tigers are omnivorous. They eat bugs and fish flesh. Plenty of aquatic insect life and minnows in the lake to keep them healthy...and good red meat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the only thing I can say for sure is that topwater and terrestrials might not work so good. But, you never know. I have seen tigers smacking the top a few days before iceup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, whatever you bring has a chance of working. Use a sinking line to dredge with black buggers or orange and black. White works good too. One of my better patterns last year was black and chartreuse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tigers will hit spinners, crankbaits and various jigs. I have a bunch of pics with all kinds of stuff hanging from their mouths. Maybe I'll attach a few.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have small minnows, they are usually great. Either fish them alone or tipped on jigs. Ditto for crawlers. Sometimes one works better than another.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I understand the water level has remained fairly high this year. That may or may not affect fishing. When the water is warmer, in the summer, the fish go deep. When it cools they are up in the water column and all over the lake. Several of us fishing and using walkie talkies should be able to establish a pattern fairly soon. I did very well about this time last year with the deep bubble and fly rigs...fishing about 10 to 15 feet deep over 25 to 30 feet of water. On other trips I have smacked em on shallow stuff and on bottom bouncing jigs in deep water. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've got this set on the calendar so I'm good to go. For a ride share I'm open to driving or being a passenger. I'm leaving out of South Jordan so if someone else is starting near that point maybe we can arrange something via PMs.
[signature]
I am heading up there tomorrow to fish. I will report how I do. Does anyone have any tips up for up there? I can't make it on the 19th. Good luck to the all of those who make it.
[signature]
Looks great Pat. I really want to make this one, but you'll have to count me as a maybe until probably Sunday.
[signature]
BTW, what's the prevailing wind direction at Huntington? Totally random?[crazy]
[signature]
[quote ParrMark]BTW, what's the prevailing wind direction at Huntington? Totally random?[crazy][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]YES. It does blow...from one direction or the other. And, like most lakes it will usually start out from one direction early and then change later. Not uncommon to have to kick against the wind both ways...going out and coming back. And no matter how you try to fool Mama Nature she will mess with ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That will be the final item in the final decision. I usually check conditions for Scofield and figure they will be close at Huntington. Generally about the same but not always.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that if you take your cart with you when you launch, and you get stuck at the wrong end of the lake, it is not a bad hike back to the vehicle from almost anywhere. Had to do that once last year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ok got the calendar filled with my fishin day so mamatrout won't fill it up.[cool] I will plan on bringing one fly rod and two spinning rods. Fly will have uniform sink III on it for the buggers and the other will host spoons and possibly jigs. this is going to be fun.[sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Either we are not supposed to plan a trip for Monday...or every time we plan a trip more than a day in advance IT IS DOOMED.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is the projected forecast for Scofield next Monday the 19th.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
Today Wed, Oct 14 Thu, Oct 15 Fri, Oct 16 Sat, Oct 17 Sun, Oct 18 Mon, Oct 19 Tue, Oct 20 Wed, Oct 21 Thu, Oct 22 [#333367]Day[/#333367][#333367]Night[/#333367]
[#333367][Image: 5.gif?12122006]
[/#333367]AM Rain / Snow ShowersHigh
51°F

Precip
60%
Wind:From SSW at 15 mph Max. Humidity:47%UV Index:4 Moderate
Sunrise:7:33 AM MTAvg. High:51°FRecord High:62°F (1988)

[Image: 5.gif?12122006]
Rain / Snow Showers LateOvernight Low
35°F

Precip
50%
Wind:From SSW at 13 mph Max. Humidity:51% Sunset:6:48 PM MTAvg. Low:26°FRecord Low:10°F (1984)
[signature]
So what does that mean? Not going, or not sure.
I am not sure I would drive that far with that forecast, but you guys are CRAZY!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NOT SURE.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still several days out and the weather is wacko right now. A couple of days ago the forecast was for clear and calm. A couple of days more and it could be the same. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still want to go but not if I have to fish from shore while watching the whitecaps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Should have a better read by Saturday.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess] you guys are CRAZY![/quote]

I resemble that remark![:p]
[signature]
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh well if it is too cold that is my cue to put the toon away until spring and start pulling the ice auger out. I will keep an eye on the weather as well. I know I promised mamatrout to take her down to bountiful pond so that she can try out here tube without kids around for an hour or so one morning. Wanted to do it mon but over slept. today too cold and windy. Maybe friday. I will still plan on monday for Huntington until I hear different.
[signature]
Weather looks outstanding till Monday...dang.
I would be on the road 5 hours to go down there and back. I think I will look for something closer...more time on the water. Not saying I will be catching fish, but more time ON the water...LOL
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Weather looks outstanding till Monday...dang.
I would be on the road 5 hours to go down there and back. I think I will look for something closer...more time on the water. Not saying I will be catching fish, but more time ON the water...LOL[/quote]

Five hours there and back !!! Wow.
I have done two hours there and two hours back and I tell
you- going there is no problem. Coming back home after
sitting in the tube all day on the sun is very hard.
Anyways, Im just talking.............[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
I want to fish that lake, but at that distance, I prefer to make a two dayer out of it. Maybe three dayer and hit all those lakes.
But, by myself....not an afternoon.
[signature]
Yeah, I hear that sister.

Peter
[signature]
I don't see any difference between driving to Huntington or Strawberry for it is the same driving distance for me. 2 hours one way.
[signature]
Where do you live?
Salt Lake here with Strawberry 70 and Huntington 113 miles. About 45 minutes farther give or take.
Map quest clocks it out at 2 and a half hours, but could do it in two, unless there is road differences like slower speed limit.

Strawberry, straight freeway.
[signature]