Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Lake (Report)
Great trip, Great Lake! It is gorgeous. The water is so warm and clear and best of all there are tons of fish. The wife and I were there for 3 days. Got there thursday afternoon and left Saturday night. We got a room in Wendover and drove back and forth everyday. Didn't gamble much since we are both fishing addicts but did catch the parade and some awesome buffets.

Didn't get a chance to try the smaller ponds to the East. We mostly had the lake to our selves except for a few divers that would show up every now and then. We both have tons of mosqito bites though but it was worth it.

It seems like the fish are feeding all the time there is always surface action mostly smaller bucket mouths but ocasionally you see a large one break surface. Their feeding on smaller fish about an inch long, probably baby bluegill.

Thursday was kind of slow we were trying different baits till we hit on what worked. soft plastics didn't produce at all and rattle traps just got the their curiosity cause all they would do is follow it to the tube. Tryed buzz baits with no luck but small poppers were the ticket.

My wife caught the biggest bass of the trip and it was her first fish and first fish caught. He was well over 20"

Not sure how many we caught but we got tons of small guys about 12" with a few around 14" thrown in plus two larger ones. The 20+" and the one I caught on Saturday about 18". (I'll post the pics).

No sucess for blue gill tryed a piece of worm under a bobber and grasshoppers also. No luck. My wife went snorkelling and saw tons of them it's just getting the bait in front of them. As a jest, I suggested that she tie on a hook to some line and swim out there and dangle the bait in their faces. When I came back from my float tube excursion I found out that that was exactly what she did. She caught three before she lost her line when a granddady BG bit and ripped it out of her hands.

Of course I had to try it also! But I rolled the line around the neck of an empty water bottle (light bulb)[sly] and proceded to catch some more. I just invented a new form of fishing, I'm going to call it Snork-angling.[Wink]. Lot's of fun!

There are huge bass in that lake. I have seen them, catching them is the problem. If you snorkel they come out and circle you out of curiosity I guess. You can also spot them cruising the shore line.

Al
[signature]
hey al glad to see you caught some fish think i'm going out that way this tue. actully my wifes idea .

chris
[signature]
Hey hustler, where is Blue Lake. How big is it and can you put a boat on it or just tubes?
[signature]
Great pics. It sounds like a good was had. Where is Blue Lake?
[signature]
There is no ramp so don't even think about launching a boat. A small inflatable or a tube is your best bet. You don't want to be towing much! There is a 7 mile long narrow dirt road to the lake which is very rough. As for size, It is small it should be called blue pond. The lake is located about 20 miles south of wendover. The following link should give you all the info you need:

[url "http://www.utahdiving.com/bluelake.htm"]http://www.utahdiving.com/bluelake.htm[/url]

good luck
[signature]
hey guys he's off line but i think i can get you going the right way take I-80 west to wendover go south on the 93 towards ely ( nv. ) 17 miles theres a sign that says blue lake ( E ) about 7 miles down a washboard road if you want more clear directions type in blue lake/utah in your search engine a couple dive clubs have web sites on it

chris
[signature]
Hey Hustler 898, I was gonna try to get out there andmeet you but we ended up going to lost creek instead. We'll have to get out there sometime. It sounds like you know whats going on down there.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Sure sounds like a plan. Three days of screwing around up there you get to know the place.
[signature]
It's been a few years since I was there but I don't remember the lake being much more than 100yds long and about 50yds wide. We go there in the winter when the bugs are gone, it is nice to fish in the warm water with snow on the shore line and if you don't want to fish, just enjoy the warm water. There are a lot of fish in those other ponds. WH2
[signature]
Are there bass and bluegill in those other ponds also? 3 days up there and I didn't get around to fishing them, mostly cause the wife didn't want to try. What have you caught out of the other ponds and how big?

Does it snow out there? I thought that was the desert and hot all year.

Were going to have to commision Aquaman with the task of fishing those ponds and providing a full report.

Al
[signature]
yeah but not this week that evil four letter word ending with K ( work ) yet again raised its ugly head they called my wife in to work unless someone wants to volunteer to drive and we'll split the cost of gas any takers for teusday ?

chris
[signature]
Nice report hustler , Bass have some good color out there . This is a pic of one fish I landed at I-80 awhile back . About 14" Lm bass .

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0476148.jpg]

Just got the pics developed
[signature]
Hey Ha69 i've always wanted to float I-80 ponds as well as another buddy of mine who just got his float tube. Now I just need to get one for myself. Do you fish out there often? We oughta go check it out once, since it's nice and close! What do you generally throw in those ponds?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I wouldn't float tube it now . It is full of weeds and low water . Try fishing from shore . I just started fishing it this year so not much experence there , but most things will work . Lots of small fish in there .
[signature]
Yes I've caught bluegill and bass in a lot of the smaller ponds in the area but Blue lake is the only one that has big fish. Other than bass and bluegill the only other fish I've caught there is perch. There are a lot of very small pools in the area and I never made it to all of them so there could be other fish there also. Yes it snows out there but not every year, if we ever get a good winter with a lot of snow, it will snow there for sure. I've also wondered about those other ponds in the area, are you up for the task Aquaman? WH2
[signature]
i was going tue. but now my wife needs the car for work some one want to go tue and split the gas bill ?
[signature]
That would be a little far for me to drive and be back for work by 2:30.
[signature]
Hey aquaman what are you doing between $:30 and 9 pm? do you wanna head out somewhere?
[signature]
hey kevin my wife has the car so im stuck at home i'm going up to pineview tomorrow to do some fishing taking along the wife and kid to do some swimming wanna meet up there somrwhere ? i take it your at work give me a call later and we'll see if we can work out something
[signature]
Hey aquaman just got back in. I also just pm'd you. What time are you going tomorrow?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]