Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
provo gills and walleye
Went down to the provo river just before it runs into utah lake and saw some blue gills swimming around. There were only a couple so i broke out my fly rod and put on a little chartreuse fly that emuscud gave me sure enough the gills went for it but just as they got there a nice walleye easily 6-8 pounds came out to and flashed by the gills and my fly im not sure if he was going for my fly or the blue gills im guessing the gills.(do they feed on those?). I threw a shad rap a jig and a little craw crank that i have had some luck with but he didnt take. I was wondering if you guys could tell me a couple lures jigs or even flys that I could add to my walleye arsenal because i ran out of ideas pretty quik.

Thanks
[signature]
i have personally not had too much luck fly fishing for walleye,...but yet i have never really tried. one thing that did work for me once, but it was an accident, was a really big wolly bugger, it was more like a muddler minnow actually,..well in between the 2 designs if you can picture that at all. was just stripping away as fast as i could trying to entice a bass to bite, i fell the hit and pull a 12 inch walleye out of deer creek. hope i was some help.
[signature]
I have never fly fished for eyes so this is just guessing from what I use spin-fishing them. I would suggest trying a white or chartreuse streamer. 1.5 to 2 inches, maybe up to 3. Probably bead-head or sinking tip/line to get it down. If you know how to tie one to look like a gill, I can't imagine going wrong with it. Yes, eye's eat smaller gills. As far as I know, they eat pretty much everything smaller than themselves.

I use white, glow, and chartreuse jigs mainly on Starvation for the eyes. I don't get much for size, but I generally do OK on numbers during the summer. This is why I suggest these colors.
[signature]
I'm glad that fly worked for you! I'll be down there this evening with a nephew. Hopefully the fishies will be as cooperative for us.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=139;]

The fly FishAddict1 was using just had a normal chartruese chennille body on it and a closed cell foam 'wing case.' This pic is from the bottom of the fly. Size 10-14 hooks work best for this pattern.

I accidentally caught a walleye at Lindon BH on a "pistol pete." Sportsmans sells them as "Buzzer Flies." They are basically wolley buggers with propellers on the front. I was fishing a double renegade with the prop on front with a piece of meal worm on the hook. I was using it on a spinning outfit and bouncing it along the bottom. This would have been around Dec. or Jan.

See you on the water!!!

ES
[signature]