Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first Idaho deer
This was my first season hunting Idaho. Moved here in april and couldn't wait for the season. I helped my friend on his oregon season last week and he got a 4/3, then he and his 8 year old son came to help me out this weekend and i matched with a 4/3 of my own. We put the 8 year old through a 2000 vertical hike that just about killed him. What beautiful country but STEEP.
[signature]
Very nice...what part of the state were you hunting?
[signature]
I was a little northwest of lowman in the sawtooth zone.
[signature]
Nice first idaho buck congrats... Did you see many deer? How about any elk?
[signature]
Way to go - congrads.
[signature]
looked hard for elk and didn't see any, but did hear the wolves screaming. Didn't see many deer, mostly does, but jumped my buck out of a draw on the way back to the truck. Hope to find some elk up there next. And maybe run into the wolves.
[signature]
been scouting that area for some time and asking people what they see, from what i seen and heard the elk are in the thick thick stuff trying to give them a shot against all the wolves i think. just what im thinking. i dont know why they are in there so thick if thats not the case.. im gonna try for elk a little south of idaho for the first time this yr. good luck on the elk let me know what you find out and make sure you get a wolf for me lol..
[signature]
I know the area you hunted and it usually takes some weather to bring the animals down that far. Wolves have changed the deer/elk patters though so you never know. The elk should still be farther up on Deadwood ridge would be my guess, or in someones back yard. Lowman area got hit with the wolf disease bad and the numbers are just not what they where. The deer and elk I've been seeing have all been close to cabins where they don't get hunted and the wolves don't bother them so much. We have a hunting shack at about mile marker 85 so I spend a lot of time in the area and thats what I've been seeing anyway. I'm planning on spending a few weeks in Nov at the cabin for my cow hunt and really hoping for a wolf rug.
[signature]
Congrats. Man. Wnt out Thurs and Fri Only saw 3 does but saw the biggest buck I ever have. He was just over 800 yds but I could never cut him off.
[signature]
keep after him. I would of liked to have taken one like you saw but my hunting time is limited due to being full time student, dad, and employee. Hope it works out. Good luck
[signature]
i hear ya there ive got the three same circumstances in my life as well but if you truelly love the sport you will make time for it.
[signature]
Unfortunitly My deer hunting and elk hunting is done. The hernia I have about killed me on the mountians the other day. I still will do some pheasant hunting. I'm going to head out friday afternoon to try and knock a few down.
[signature]