Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass beginner
could someone give me ideas on what lures to buy for a beginner and how to use them. thanks for your help

pghamatuer
[signature]
Get some spinnerbaits that weigh 1/4 to 1/2 oz (check your rod for lure weight ratings) and start off with a cast and continuous retreive. Slow it down. Speed it up. Try stop and go. Try yo-yo (lift the rod tip up high and then let it fall, repeat and take in the slack).

You can try some jigs, too. I would let them sink and drag them around and pause.

There's so many different techniques for so many different lures... I wish I could send you a video or something. Take things one step at a time and don't be afraid to look for youtube videos ro check tacklewarehouse.com.

The best piece of advice I think I can give you or anyone new is to keep it simple. I started fishing at the beginning of last Spring and I made the mistake of buying/trying way too many different lures and obscure colors. You're much better off with the staple lures in just a few colors.
[signature]
thanks for your help now i can go to the store and get an idea what to look for. there is just so much out there.
[signature]
[#005000][/#005000]If you buy any lures like crank bait, fish all over is Dark on the top and Light color on the bottom. Spring threw Fall Frogs work great, and so is worms! Remember you'll get upset sometimes but keep trying and don't quit like I did! I;m getting back into my old form. Good luck![/i][/b]
[#005000][/#005000]Dennis[/i][/b]
[signature]
Do not know were your from but , fall fishing to me is crankbaits depending on the conditions. They are storing up for winter , shallow running cranks/1/2 oz ones bomber fat free shad citrus shad, purple darter. Good luck.
[signature]
My vote is to start with topwater lures. That's how I got my start with bass fishing and I think it's a perfect way to really get going. My first year and a half of so of bassin', that's really all I threw, and I caught fish ALL year long and day long (even in the middle of the winter months!). Topwaters I'd suggest to start with are Pop-Rs, Tiny Torpedos, and the small Jitterbugs. There's a number of reasons why I'd say topwaters are the best to start with. 1) They're easily one of the funnest ways to catch bass, so it will keep you casting just knowing at any given moment you may get a blow-up. 2) You can visually see everything that is going on with your bait, and you can visually see all of your strikes. There's no questions of, "Oh, wait, was that a bite? I don't know." 3) Most of them are very simple to use with the exception of the walking baits (spooks, sammys, etc.).

Anyways, most lure packages give simple directions for how to use and fish with them. Follow those simple guidelines and that will get you started. You can also just Google how to use those various baits and I'm sure you'll find plenty of articles.
[signature]
My advice is. Don't worry about colors or anything fancy. Just practice technique. Expect to have days without any luck, but never give up. Just get experience. The more you go, the more you'll learn, and the more successful you'll be. Good luck.
[signature]
I would get some spinner baits and some buzzbaits the work well for me. I would also get a weedless frog
[signature]
For a long time I was afraid to cast close enough to stuff along banks to be effective. I only used crankbaits or even spinnerbaits in open water where whey wouldn't get snagged. Unfortunatelty, most of the year that's not where the fish are.

If I could do it over and cut to the chase, I'd aim right at the tree limbs and rocks and weeds with something I could afford to lose, like a bullet sinker and glass bead. Regardless of the time of year I catch most of my bass on a Texas-rig crawdad-like soft pastic lure. And being from Oklahoma, you know I'd praise "Texas" only if it's a very effective presentation. I prefer a double-tail hula grub (so ugly I can't see why a fish'd bite it, but they sure do). I toss the Texas-rig in shallow water near fallen timber or rocky shoreline or a bunch of weeds. The closer the better. If it makes a splash, I count down ten seconds before starting the retrieve. When I do cast right on target, it sometimes startles a fish, and he'll angrilly eat it immediately as a reflex, so you've got to be ready, yet patient.

With this bait, too, the slower the better. I fish from a tube and often I'll cast and then move a few feet to a new location, not reeling or doing anything with the retrieve and -- wham! You can cover a lot of area with casts in all directions. More importantly you can "see" what structure is on the bottom by feeling the jiggles on your line as you retrieve the lure through snags of some weeds, or thumps of timber, or bumps of pebbles and jolts of rocks. To me, fishing is constantly a learning experience.

The closer you get to structure, the more you'll get hung up. But you're not out much, so retie and keep casting.
[signature]
here on the eastern side of the mississippi we are fishing deaper waters now for bass.

but I agree, duing the summer months them bass get right up in to places that would be hook tossers nightmare,

there is a solution, weedless hooks.

You can use them on single hooked soft plastic harnesses and even replace the trebbles on your crank baits and plugs.

now they are not a guarntee that you wont snag, but it will deffenantly reduse the amount of snags you get,

I have used them and tossed them right in to the middle of lilly pads, Kinda dumb cuz if I were to hook on to a big bass in the middle of the pads I would break the line for sure, that would have been an over cast or a gust of wind in the middle of a cast that would send my lure to the middle,

But your right you want to cast right up in there to target those sneeky bass who are waiting in lieu of something swimming by...

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=54939] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=54938]
[signature]
ifi were you i would start off doing what i did, get some simple lead head jigs, and some dark green or white 1 1/2 inch grubs with a single curly tail, i caught fish most of the year. all you need to do is use a steady retrieve and as previously mentioned by someone else, you can use weedless hooks or try diff colors, i'm not sure what works in your area
[signature]
For a beginner, I would definitely go with a Senko worm. It is a proven fish catcher and very easy to fish. You can rig them weightless texas rig, carolina rig, wacky or dropshot. Check this link on how to fish it http://reviewfishinglures.blogspot.com/2...senko.html
[signature]