Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Tune up Trip
[cool][#0000ff]Three of us floatin' fools hit Rock Cliff on Jordanelle this morning. Myself in my Fat Cat and Anglerdan and Flygoddess in their toons. I was first on the water, about 7:15. Air temp 31 and water temp 52. Cool runnings.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Light breezes from the east...as per usual. Not as much steam as before since the water is cooling. I banged a couple of small trout before first Anglerdan and then Joni showed up to launch. It was a bit slow for a while after that. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kicked out into 40 feet of water, well past the buoy line, looking for perchy marks on my sonar. Didn't see much of anything at any depth. A lot quieter in the RC arm than usual. Met up with Dan on the way back and did some downloading of info and a few flies for bubble chuckin'. Musta worked. He caught some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Poor Joni. She had some "issues" in getting started today, including forgetting her camera. And, when she brought one of her nice fish close so that I could take a picture for her I messed around waiting for a good angle and the fish did not want to be photographed. It did a backward three and a half from the rainbow position and was gone. In the picture Joni is pointing to where it went.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As usual, Joni waved her magic wand and mesmerized some fishies. We were never close enough for pics after that but she believes she caught more fish than on our last trip to Jordanelle. She does got them dialed in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I probably caught a half dozen or so, with the two largest going about 18 or 19 inches. Quality fish that really kick my behind on the limber bubble chuckin' rods I use. Had one several inches larger that worked me over for several minutes and then had enough. He did let me have my chawed up fly back though. Mighty thoughty. I only kept one of the two larger fish to take home. All I need for a good meal, with TubeBabe still in Californy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only light breezes early, and then settling down to flat calm for awhile. Then the typical westerly blow kicked up just before noon and we had a good excuse to hit the shore...and the restrooms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most trout were caught in 20 feet of water or shallower today. Many were taken right on the bottom by dredging with flies. However, there were a few that hit fast moving offerings at mid depth. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good tune up trip for our Huntington Floatilla on Friday.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sounds like a good day on the water for everyone... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The Good ol Master of The Slimy Scaled Kind proved his benevolence once again. After scoulding me for having a store bought fly and laughing at the size of my leader the kind one began to teach. I listened and observed then and after a bribe of a cold V8 for breakfast he gentle handed me some of his killer flys for the days festivities. The rest is in the pics. I had a great time and as usual and The Dude was great company. Missed many more fish than I caught but had fun returning to some troutskies rather than the cats I have been chasing all summer.

Can't wait for Huntington!! Should be a good time for all that can make it. I am going to put on the face mask and start painting some plastic bubbles for Friday..lol.

Great meeting you FlyGoddess sorry about the rough start to the day but it sounds like you made up for it by putting the smack down on some of those pretty bows.

FYI to the extended archery hunters out there I saw a big bull elk and several deer once I turned off the main highway and headed for Rock Cliffs...Go Get Em boys.

To Err is human to Fish is Godly!
[signature]
Sounds like a great day on the water. Too bad I had to miss it. Also won't be able to make it friday to Huntington. A little piggy stopped by my house and left an unwanted friend. Since I am down with the flu I won't bring it to the lake with me. I won't make any plans for any time soon just because murphy seems to be following me around right now. Lets just say I will look to spring and see what it brings.[:p]
[signature]
It was fantastic and an interesting day.
My mishap, was the trailer wouldn't lock on the ball. I hooked it up with ease last night so, not sure what was going on. Messed with that thing for an hour, finally Pop loosened the nut. I kept thinking, he shouldn't have to, but....half way up the canyon, hubby calls and said, Oh by the way, the hitch seemed a little loose so I tightened it........He hasn't returned home yet[mad][laugh]

Launched way late, but a couple hours on the water is better than no time.
I had my body armor and fleeced lined levis plus a sweat shirt.
I got the boat ready and headed out thinking I might have to take the sweat shirt off. But the sun went behind the clouds and stayed there. It got chilly! I have the room, so why I didn't take my Jacket is beyond me.

Caught a nice fatty right out of the gate. And like Angler Dan missed as many as caught but I landed 6 very healthy bows.
I actually caught more last outing but these seemed bigger, fatty and great fighters.

Water was glass smooth most the morning which is nice for the fisher, but can make it tough to catch fish.

Sorry I bailed so quickly, Mother Nature was calling very loudly (that cup of coffee before I left and the Rock Star on the water.

Thanks for the Smokin' Kitty and letting me check out that Boron.
Have fun Friday. I will be at the Berry Sat or Sun.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry about the "pig plague". Hope it treats your family gently.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We will miss you at Huntington, but it will still be there for ice fishing and for a spring fling.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Always enjoyable sharing some water with ya Dan...regardless of the species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the V8. I was gonna give ya a few flies anyway but if you wanna think it was a successful bribe that's okay with me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Gotta get that tube up to the tubeatorium so we can add some PVC. I'd be embarrassed fishin' in a nekkid tube like that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We were glad you were able to join us again, even if you were "delayed". Not sure I would want to be near your house when Alan gets home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I definitely agree on the size and attitude of those fish today. Great size and some real shoulders. And, sledgehammer hits and full contact fights. Cain't ask for more than that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All the fish I caught fought "bigger than they were". And one of the bigguns I lost kept me on the line for a long time before giving me my fly back. Never got to see him, but the strike weighed at least 5 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck at the Berry. We will hoist a tiger or two in your honor at Huntington.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words. I feel like I have had the crap beat out of me. I will look forward to another day on the water with you.
[signature]
Very nice. I like that big bow.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Angler Dan...nice meeting you too. Just a suggestion, but have you thought of sliding your frame forward. The back of your toons are in the water. It would make it track better but it is up to you.
In the photo shop picture you can kind of see it, but when you are moving, the rear tips are really down.
[signature]
That is probably a good idea. The adjustment is simple I just need to be a little more careful on the inflation stage and move the pontoons before they fully inflate. I was in a hurry to get on the water and may have had it off center. However it is only a 6 foot pontoon so it is hard to get the center just right. If I move it too far foward it is off balance and a little akward when I lean over to net the fish. I will experiment on Friday with moving it a little father forward. Thanks for the observation.

Good Luck at the berry!!!
[signature]
I mark my toons with waterproof marker. Or I use to to make sure I got both toons equal. Not a problem anymore
[signature]