Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
goin to try trout
ok, so now that it's getting cooler, i'm going to try out trout fishing. first off, what are the basics that i need to know? or do the same things apply from bass fishing. and second: where are some good lakes/creeks around pittsburgh other than ohiopyle.
[signature]
Small creeks are going to be the easier place to start I think. How you approach them is going to depend on the tackle you are using.
[signature]
ok thanks.

well as of now i'm just gonna use live worms. i don't really have any intention of learning to fly fish this year, but i might use some flies (if i can)
[signature]
[quote Aznavalanche]ok, so now that it's getting cooler, i'm going to try out trout fishing. first off, what are the basics that i need to know? or do the same things apply from bass fishing. and second: where are some good lakes/creeks around pittsburgh other than ohiopyle.[/quote]

Well it depends, i mean its where ever they decide to stock at in your area for the fall. In the spring time they stock many places but in the fall they stock very little.

Go to this site and put in the county u live in and it should pop up the places in your county that they stocked for the fall season. These places may have special rules so look into them before u decide to fish there.
[url "http://pfbc.state.pa.us/pfbc_webgis/TroutStockingDetails.aspx"]http://pfbc.state.pa.us/...StockingDetails.aspx[/url]

Also go buy an ultra light since u dont need a heavy pole. 2 to 6 pound test and worm wise i would use wax worms if u can find them. also powerbait is good idea as well also pending on the area. If u want lures go with rooster tails or spoons.

If you fish the streams/creeks you need to watch for postings of private property. Also I would suggest getting waders and boots. Cause its cold and u need to keep warm from the water since u will more then likely be walking around in it but you dont need them really but they do help. They can get expensive so i suggest maybe some hip waders. I got chest and the chest waders and boots cost me 160 bucks.

Trout are delicate creatures are no where near close to bass fishing. they will bleed easy and die off fast if u keep them out of the water for to long. So Get some good hemostats so you can take the hook out and use barbless hooks. if it starts bleeding everywhere on your hand then its a good chance it will die so i would keep it. I dont know the creel limit and size for your area so you will have to look it up.

Trout are fun and since they stocked I have been doin alot of trout fishing.
Oh do not put your finger in there mouth cause they do have teeth. lol

I forgot to add if u use worms in a stream u will probally want to drift fish it. just take your pole with a couple shot and a hook on the end pending on how fast the water moves you will have to adjust the weight yourself. Just let the line drift down the stream. Look for what they call holes. They are just little or big pools of water. that is more then likely where the fish will be. The shallow stuff will not produce so much. if you get stuck alot in the rocks then u more then likely have to much weight. I suggest just going to a popular spot and watch how some of the non fly fisherman fish and just learn from that.
[signature]
Vashe covered everything you need to know for now. So listen to what he told you and you should be fine. Go with the wax worms for sure cause it always seems like they work for my dad. Me personally? I like to use the spinners that i make at home. I do have a little thing going that i sale my home mad tackle locally. I plan on going national next spring in time for the 1st day of trout. I am working on a website now and i will let you guys know when its done. You trout guys will love it, we have alot of trout spinners and such.

If i had one more thing to add to this i would say get a minnow needle and try stringing a minnow on the end of your line with a double hook. A friend of mine kills the trout with that rig so its worth a try.
[signature]
ok...would any bait/tackle store have minnow needles? I don't think that the one near me (Lock 3 Bait and Tackle) has any...
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy] I like to use the spinners that i make at home. I do have a little thing going that i sale my home mad tackle locally. I plan on going national next spring in time for the 1st day of trout. I am working on a website now and i will let you guys know when its done. You trout guys will love it, we have alot of trout spinners and such.

If i had one more thing to add to this i would say get a minnow needle and try stringing a minnow on the end of your line with a double hook. A friend of mine kills the trout with that rig so its worth a try.[/quote]

Well maybe you can toss me a couple of those spinners and i can give my opinion on them and what not and maybe they will give more buzz. If anything i could buy them either way no big deal. just let me know.

Stringing minnows work good and i know many people that do them so it could work out nice for you. But you will need a minnow container to walk around with as well cause u really dont want to carry a big bucket with you on the streams. Most fish and tackle stores will carry them i think even dicks sporting goods will have them as well.

Also look for I beileve they are called open end treble hooks. I had a hard time finding them after may so dont know if any of your bait shops will carry them. I end up finding some in july at poor richards up in erie. basically its a treble hook with a open slot to put on the end after u string the minnow.
Also you want the minny alive so alot of the old timers taught me as you put the needle though you should slowly twist it so it doesnt rip the guts and stays alive alot longer.

But since you have limited access to where u can go since you dont drive you more then likely going to fish lakes/ponds and what not that are stocked. So you will probally want to go with power bait. I personally like the orange sparkle power bait but early in the stock i like to use the corn power bait and just fish the bottom.

Today I fish top cause i had no luck fishing bottom and used bobber and some rooster tails. I used wax worms and I caught 7 with the worms and 1 on a yellow gold spoon rooster.
Bring two poles with you that way u can use artificals and other with bait. I usually will bring 3 poles that way i have one set with artificals and 2 for bait. That way im not re setting the poles all the time.

Well if you tell me the county u live in and or city I can look up some good spots you can try out cause i know you have to have your parents drive you around and your limited on funds. Stream/creek fishing vs. lake/pond fishing have different wants and needs. Pending on the area you will need to walk to holes in the stream/creek cause i know the hole i like to go to is about a mile walk and i have to cross the hip to waist high water to get to it.

So the waders is a good idea if you decide to go that route. Since you already have the gear to go to lakes/ponds you might want to go that route since it wont cost you anything but the bait.
[signature]
yea, i think that i might get the waders some time later...and btw, my county is allegheny, but in general, Pittsburgh. How do I string the minnow without ripping it's guts? Even if I twist it, won't it still puncture the guts?
[signature]
Well i was gonna offer some free stuff to you guys on her under 1 condition. I need you guys to advertise in your area for me. I will send some signs for you guys to hang up at local businesses and some cards to hand out to your friends and family that fish. Once i get our catalog and website up and running i will put something together for people that are interested in this offer. I will keep you guys posted.
[signature]
[quote Aznavalanche]yea, i think that i might get the waders some time later...and btw, my county is allegheny, but in general, Pittsburgh. How do I string the minnow without ripping it's guts? Even if I twist it, won't it still puncture the guts?[/quote]

lower and middle deer lake seems like your best bet. grab a chair and go there. Well if you have never strung a minnow up before i suggest haveing someone show you or watch a video on it and u will know what i mean.

[quote bigpikeguy]Well i was gonna offer some free stuff to you guys on her under 1 condition. I need you guys to advertise in your area for me. I will send some signs for you guys to hang up at local businesses and some cards to hand out to your friends and family that fish. Once i get our catalog and website up and running i will put something together for people that are interested in this offer. I will keep you guys posted.[/quote]

I dont mind doin word of mouth to people on the streams/lakes and bait shops and offering to give your business cards out. Specially if the lure works good. If i dont like the lure though, then i wouldnt advertise it to people. But if i do like it though u better believe eveyone that fishes around me would know lol
[signature]
Don't blame you, i would not want to advertise junk either lol. I don't think you will be disappointed though. i should be able to send you guys some stuff out by december hopefully. We got alot of pictures to do for the website and still trying to work out the order form. Out printable catalog is underway and as of now we will be offering 20 items which many of them will have alot of color variations. We will also offer some limited stock and some sale items. I got my work cut out for me this next month or so. my deadline is the end of the year, however i would love to have it up and running by december. i will keep you posted.
[signature]