Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in search of monster brown trout
[Image: bobmad.gif] does anyone have any advice about how to catch a big brown trout. should i use power bait? im not sure if brown trout like salmon eggs.... i was thinking that maybe a buzz bait would work. well i guess i dont know but i think there are brown trout in the logan river but they only eat red power bait and wallmart only has orange and pink??? where is the best place to find a big brown trout?
[signature]
They like worms better than Powerbait. There are HUGE browns at the sewer treatment plant in Syracuse.[sly]
[signature]
there are some big brons in the logan, but your really going to have to work for them. better off comming to the weber, there are big browns in here, and you dont have to work as hard (hiking) because there are alot more places to park! read Utcatman's post, he uses tube jigs and rapalas and always nails a few big ones..

and lunkerhunter, i released a big brown in that same place!

had to throw that in there for the ewwww effect
[signature]
I've always found repala's to be deadly for browns , and this time of year, just prior to their spawn, is very good. Also feb thru april at post spawn. I have found that to be the case on any water with large browns. Floating a dead minnow, or minnow imitating streamers for fly fishing (zonkers, muddlers ect... ) Are also good methods
[signature]
wow thank you for your help what kind of rapalas? fire tiger? Do you think a buzz bait would work?
[signature]
[quote setthehook]wow thank you for your help what kind of rapalas? fire tiger? Do you think a buzz bait would work?[/quote]

You must be a bass fisherman! [Wink] Buzz baits don't work for trout, although they are a blast for bass!

Rapalas are a good choice, so are worms. My favorite Rapala is the basic black back silver side, floating. I have caughten some big fish on that lure in the past.

Perhaps your best choice is to pick up a fly rod and throw some egg patterns or streamers. Try the Weber, Ogden, and Provo for big browns. Good luck!

-Rich
[signature]
I agree with the black and white, but also a blue on white, black with bronze sides, rainbow fish, and brown trout patterns. And I prefer to fish coundowns with nothing else (swivels,split shots ect... And 1 more tip is to use the line knot shown on the paper that comes with the repala's in the box. It alows for great lure action
[signature]
wow thanks alot i hope my next post will be a large brown trout[Wink][Image: surprised.gif]
[signature]
What is a big brown to you?????

Do you have a boat????

Do you fish moving water or lakes????

How many miles will you travail to fish???
[signature]
Your best shot at a Trophy Brown is at Jordanelle or Starvation res., trolling Rapala like lures, fast at 3 to 5 mph or still fish dead minnows
[signature]
I agree with bassrod and guideman !!!!!!!!
Most of my small browns are big to most fisherman / women
I think a big brown is anything over 5 to 10# brown and a trophy brown is 10 and bigger but that is just me,
the biggest thing with the browns is knowing where to fish for them and what time of year the rest is the easy part,
a brown is a opportunistic, they will eat what ever is in front of them if at the right time, if you are really after the browns do your home work put in the time and you will
be rewarded for you work I've put in many many hours chasing the big browns and I have good days but to be consistent you do have to work at it, but if you just want to have fun then go float a minnow or a crawler this time of year, But remember C&R&R if you stick a big boy so it can get bigger for me to stick haha,
we also ice fish for them all winter and do pretty good,
just do your home work!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
If you want a true MONSTER brown, make a trip to the tributaries of Lake Erie and Ontario during the brown spawn. There you will see what a brown can truly become, A BEAST!!! [sly]

As for Utah monster browns, I would consider 27"+ a big brown. I have caughten them that size in all three of the rivers I previously listed...on the fly. Browns that big don't waste their time on aquatic insects, they want meat! I have caughten them on mice pattern flies topwater and large streamers.

Another, often overlooked lure for big browns, is the classic spoon. Silver and Gold have produced nice browns for me in both moving water and still water.

Good luck!!!

-Rich
[signature]
its the same with the South Platte between Spinney and Elevenmile in Colorado, and Taylor river below the dam north of Gunnison in colorado.... there are browns in each river passing 20 pounds
[signature]
Don't have to go that far...IDAHO, but their out of state license fee is going to kill their tourism.

Also, like mentioned...Fly Outfiit and slap a big ol' mouse pattern down.
[signature]
there are big browns surpassing that 25+ inch mark in many many rivers and lakes in this state... including the logan in its lower reaches through town all the way to the marsh.

i would say the easiest way for a beginning brown chaser to hunt em down is to stick with jerkbaits.. rapala, storm, lucky crafts, frenzys whatever pattern you prefer.. they are easy to use and quite effective.. i strictly fish floating jerkbaits or shallow diving suspending ones due to the fact they have more action and you can fish them fast or slow.. rippem or twitchem lol , here are a few.... rapala floaters size 9 to 13, jointed rapalas size 7 to 11, husky jerk size 8 to 12, and of course the size 8 xrap is killer... also yozuri crystal minnows, shallow frenzy 3-4 inch, lucky craft pointer minnows are good as well ...

as for color selection it depends on several things, water clarity, time of yr, and fish numbers, as well as available feed for that body of water... as a fly fishermen would say " match the hatch" .. in the weber for example the fish are feeding on 4 primary patterns.. trout( brown and bow) sculpin, whitefish or crawdads..

extreme colors like hot pinks and firetigers work well for me in lower clarity of waters, in the spring when the flows are high... but there has been the occasion on a crappy overcast day when they will be slamming firetiger rap.

also lowlight hours is your best shot at a tank... any time spent on the water gives you your shot at that toad but lowlight hours are feeding times..

and most of all, the biggest part of chasing these beasts of the blue ribbons, have faith and confidence in these big baits and know that they are there and that they WILL hit your offerings if presented right, at the right time. just because a hole, undercut, or run seems to small to support a large fish or your lure seems entirley too big, have confidence and it will work... also put your time in and cover water... dont spend too much time fishing one hole, if there is a beast lying within the spot 70% of the time it will show its self within your second cast, either get hooked up or you will see it flash out of its lurk to get a better look at your offering.. often times you wont have another shot at her, but it is worth trying a few more times or switching up your offering.

good luck and good hunting.
[signature]
Really!!?? I hear about big fish in those rivers but over 27??? Got any pics?
[signature]
i know this wasnt in reply to me but here are few of my pics for anyone who would want to see.... and these pics were taken this spring ... and as for the way im holding them... IM SORRY in advance... i no longer hold my trout vertical like this.... we have had many discussions about it on my posts in the past... i am quite carefull these days.
all fish were caught on the weber.
[signature]
Nice browns dude!
[signature]
those are fantastic brown trout......
[signature]
Hey Utcatman,
Just like I said before you are right up there
with the rest of the trophy brown fisherman,
Great job on the river browns.
[signature]