Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawkins
We took our pontoon boats and went to Hawkins Res yesterday, because the wind was blowing like crazy everywhere else! It was a beautiful day with a medium breeze and with the air temp around 50, but the water was 43. We only fished for two hours, because we had to thaw our feet out!
It was really slow - either the fish were few and far between or they didn't want anything that we threw at them. Had a few hits and caught one rainbow on a brown leech. It wasn't really long but sure thick and heavy with a big shoulder. It had a lot of fight for its size. When I picked it up, it spit out three nasty black leeches -- ick!! Sorry, I just can't stand leeches even if they are great trout food. Anyway they sure made that fish fat!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I haven't heard anything about Hawkins for years. I've thought about ice fishing it at times, but I want to know how many fish are in there first.

Windriver
[signature]
It is such a small res. that it can get fished out pretty quick. I really don't know if there are many in there or not. The fishing has been slow the last couple of times I have gone, but that could be me, the time of day, my flies, the depth or the temp. changes!

I drop in there because it is the closest water to me, and only takes 15 min to get there. I can fish for an hour or two and be back home for dinner time.
[signature]