Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musky over 50"
I know there have been musky reported over 50" in pinview. Anyone on the board ever seen one? If so how deep were they fishing when they caught it?

tightline
[signature]
I personally have caught 2 tigers over 50". One was 52 and the other was 53. The first over 50 I caught was a few years ago in late April. It was only the third muskie I ever caught. At the time it would have easily broke the state record. Unfortunatly once I got it in the boat it started freaking out and flipped back in the water and was long gone. Did not even get a picture of myself holding it. We did video tape me reeling it in, and the great airial display it put on. Nothing like seeing a big muskie leaping thru the air as your trying to reel it in. The second I caught was this April in the same bay I caught the other one.This one did not survive the fight. I tried to revive it for at least a half hour with no luck. Which really sucked because I had to walk almost a mile back to my truck with a 30 pound fish over my shoulder. It wieghed in at 30 lbs. It too would most likely been over the state record if I whould have weighed it sooner. By the time it was weighed it had lost alot of blood, and eggs from its belly. Did get pictures and took it to a taxidermist who said he would eat it. Still got to find an extro $800 to get a mount made.

April in my experiance has been the best for 50 inchers.I have seen plenty of 50" tigers crusing the shallows in the spring. In the bays is were I have seen most of them, and caught them. I have caught them to 49" in the summer in 15 feet of water while trolling, but no 50 inchers in the summer. Never tried for them in the fall but I hear that is a good time for a true trophy.
Wow that is a big fish. Too bad it didn't make it. I had a huge brown last fall that took the hook way to deep on a rapala and had the same result. We just ended up BBQing it. To be honest it didn't even taste great. I don't know if it was because I felt so bad about the fish dying or if old browns just taste that way.

tightline
[signature]
wow two over 50" thats great. now I want to know about the eggs that were coming out of the one you did take. because that would most likely be a record there because tiger musky can't reperduce and dont have eggs that I've ever read in all the studys that I've seen and talk to the bios that study them back in wisconson. any way hey I makeing a musky video and would love to get a copy of that fight for it and I'll put your name in the video and credits if you need a video to copy it I send you one. ok pm me and let me know. there are a few 50" plus fish in pine view and I've seen and hooked some just have to be lucky with them to get one. hey ssabshif maybe I need to hire you as one of my new musky guides now that I'm going in to the guidingyou seem to know your stuff.or mabe we could make you the star of the video let me know.
[signature]