Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Report
[cool][#0000ff]MaDFisher55 and I met up at Huntington this morning to get in a possible last open water shot before hard deck. Good move. Air temp was a surprising 32 at launch. Balmy. Water temp was only 38. Brrrrr. Not long 'til auger time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched at 7:25. First fish jinx out of the way within about 5 minutes. Mark followed soon after. Both fish under fifteen inches. Not many over that during a whole day of fairly fast fishing. Lots of fish. No bigguns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They say that most lakes are subject to the 90/10 rule...90 percent of the fish will be in only 10 percent of the water. That really proved true at Huntington today. I started off near the dam and caught several fish quickly. Mark started and stayed near the dam and did not stop catching all day. I violated my game plan, which was to stay near the dam too. I really blew it. I kicked and fished all the way to the west end and circled the whole lake. The last two hours were spent kicking back against a breeze that was not too strong but made it a chore to keep moving at any speed. Mama Nature's last name must be Murphy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I caught quite a few fish, but never got into any real concentrations. When I finally rejoined Mark near the dam I couldn't believe what I was seeing on sonar. The whole screen was full of fish from top to bottom in about 40 feet of water. And, they were active. Some fish were slurping little white bugs from the surface. Others would whack flies at mid depth. I got quite a few by fishing a jig and fly combo and bottom bouncing it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My game plan originally was to be off the water by noon or one o'clock. But, Mark and I were having so much fun playing with the tiger cubs that we ignored our agreement to head in...several times. I fished the last hour or so with the same chartreuse Ultra Minnow jig head and a piece of worm that I had used on Yuba two days earlier. The little tykes loved it. I was bendo as soon as I got past mid depth on most drops. The jig would just stop on the way down and when I tightened up there was a fish on it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I mentioned, no big tigers today. Plenty of 13 to 15 inch and a couple of LOST bigguns. Of course they can be anything you want until you bring them in to verify. Also did not score many "brights"...the male colored fish with all the purty colors. I did get one on a Marmalady fly that was only about a foot long but sure was pretty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad we were able to get together Mark. I am sure that Kevin will be jealous.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes I am jealous. Makes me wish I pulled out the round tube.[Wink] C'mon hard deck,now you got me wishing to go up there. With the toon out of action all I can wait for now is ice.[crazy]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It won't be long now. Once the surface temp gets below 40 all it takes is a couple of COLD nights, without wind, and the skim will form. A couple more cold nights and it is capped for the season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanksgiving is kind of a traditional time for the first ice parties on Huntington. Should be about right this year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
In the words of the late Doug Miller...."Lets get together again real soon!"

Like Tomorrow?

Was hard to get out of the water. Left at dark, Home in the dark with lots of fishing inbetween. Does not get any better than that.

Was great fishing with ya TD.

Albino.....well I wont rub it in. We missed ya! Nuf said.[:p]

OK im ready to try the ice now, and Waleye next year and LMB, and Tiger Musky and herrrrrr kitty kitty kitty.......

[fishin]
[fishin]
[green]When all else fails, bubble and a worm!
[/green]
[signature]
Sounds like a little better fishing than yuba was monday. haha. I wish I had more annual leave so I could have made it today. Great report TD.
[signature]
I will keep my eyes on it and see what happens.[cool]
[signature]
[quote Tube_Ike]Sounds like a little better fishing than yuba was monday. haha. I wish I had more annual leave so I could have made it today. Great report TD.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, Huntington treated me a lot better than Yuba. I needed that after the depressing action down south.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like a fantastic day on the water. Cold or not !
Hey, if it gets iced up up there then just come down here
to my playground and fish with me [Wink].

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'd love to go dunk my tube in California waters again. Lots of good memories I would like to revisit. But, I know that a lot of places I used to tube are now off limits...or should be.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah, the good old days are gone long time ago but
there are still couple of "secret" spots.
But anyways, next time Im up in Utah (every five years or so [Smile]) I will call you up. If thats ok of course.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[quote peter805]Yeah, the good old days are gone long time ago but
there are still couple of "secret" spots.
But anyways, next time Im up in Utah (every five years or so [Smile]) I will call you up. If thats ok of course.[Wink]

Peter[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]OF COURSE. Would love to meet you and to introduce you to some prime fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What is your connection with Utah? Family? Business? Polygamy?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
lol, I cant wait for prime fishing[Smile]
Me and my wife like to go to Utah camping and stuff
when we can. Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches................
So, never know......

Peter
[signature]