Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REVIEW - OUTFITTERS EXPEDITION
[cool]There is a new line of flotation craft being sold by Gart Brothers, and their other stores, like SportMart. This is the Outfitters Expedition line. So far I have not tried one myself, nor have I been able to find a website for them. However, my preliminary read on them is that they may be having the craft "private labeled" by the same offshore manufacturer that makes the Kennebecs, Togiaks and other craft for Trout Unlimited. They look about the same, with minor differences.

Hustler898, in Utah, recently posted a pic of the one he bought, with the question as to whether or not he may have made a bad purchase. He got a good price...$69, down from the marked price of $124...but was concerned about quality, and the lack of a warranty. Here's his pic after setting the craft up at home for the first time. (looks like a Kennebec)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2643887.jpg]

Here's a pic of his wife, after their maiden voyage on a little lake on the Utah and Nevada border. That's a nice Smile and a nice bluegill. As I commented to hustler898, the craft looks like it is not quite "aired to the max", which will help it ride better and fish better.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2634809.jpg]

As per my request, Hustler submitted the following review:

[size 1]Ok, heres my review of my new tube. In a nut shell, I like it. It's very stable and moves easily. It is light and easy to carry. There are handles on the side and the front and rear. There is also a strap with a ring ant the end ont the lower rear. My geuss is that this is made for hanging or attaching to a back pack.

It handles the wind well and you can keep it in place with minimum effort. The pocket space is awsome. There is tons of room. 3 pockets on each side. One large one mediun and one small pluss a tiny mesh pocket on top that closes with velcro. There are also 2 tiny pockets on the apron. Behind the backrest there is a super large compartment that is ment for and inflatabe bladder to provide back support. It really isn't necessary so I use it to store stuff for transport, like fins. It also has 3 velcro rod holders 1 on each side and 1 up front.

The outer shell is 420D nylon (not sure if this is good or not) and the inflatable bladders are vinyl. The seams are double stitched so thats a plus.

It sttood up to the three day test. During this time we used it extensively and after inspection all the seems look fine so as for quality and durability, only time will tell.

what I didn't like was that it kind of feels like your leaning forward alittle. I guess this is normal and I got accustomed to it quickly. Remember I have no experience with any other tubes. I was also under the impresion that with those seats I wouldn't get wet. I was wrong, but I'm sure I didn't get as wet as in a tube with a crotch strap. The seat is very comfortable and I never felt like I would slide off.

As far as accesories, is there any practical way to install a cushion or additional bladder on the seat to raise yourself and stay dryer? Have you ever experimented with raising the seat before?

Basically I think it's great and worth the money, It has plenty of hunter orange for visibility and saftey and is very comfortable. Then again I have never tried any other tubes so I have nothing for comparison. The only major drawback I see is that it is made by an unknown company and comes with no warranty. [/size]

[size 1]TUBEDUDE'S COMMENTS: I suggested that the ride could be improved by topping off the air chambers. I also clarified that the seats were higher than a float tube, but are not intended to keep one high and dry. I also offered that one could add a cushion to raise the seating still further, but that this might contribute to an instability problem, by raising the center of gravity to the point that you increase the potential for tipping...or slipping out of the craft while leaning forward.[/size]

[size 1]GOOD REPORT HUSTLER898. THANKS[/size]
[signature]
i would definately have to agree with tubedude, in the air it up fully matter. i was going ou with my air chamber not full, and when i finanally did fill it up, it rode much better, and toke less work to move it through the water.
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

I went on the [url "http://www.gartsports.com/home/index.jsp"]http://www.gartsports.com/home/index.jsp[/url] site and found a kind of interesting item when I input 'float tube' in the search window. Seems like they are selling something called a BW sports power float. That thing looked like it had a lot of potential. Are these auxillary chambers something that's been around for a while?

Your buddy,

JapanRon
[signature]
I'd much rather have that togiak tube. that looks pretty cool.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JR, good to have you drop in again. I checked out that cute little add-on at Gart Sports. It looks like just what a lot of folks have been looking for...as a means of adding auxiliary power to their craft. Here's the pic and writeup, for the benefit of those who don't want to check the site:

[url "javascriptConfusedhowEnhanced29;"][Image: p1006844reg.jpg][/url]

OUR PRICE: $99.99 The BW™ Sport Float Power is designed to provide effortless movement by fitting almost any pontoon raft or float tube (not included) and holding a small electric trolling motor (not included). It is modular and completely collapsible and includes a unique shape for solid attachment

As I have stated before, I believe that float tubes and their cousins, the Uboats and Vboats are designed to be hands free and powered by fins alone. If one wants a powered craft, get an inflatable raft. Rafts are easier to install motors on and they operate a lot more efficiently.

The drag of having your legs in the water, while running an electric motor, just has to affect both efficiency and maneuverability. And, you would have to run it backwards, if anything, or there would really be a drag problem...even though there would be little likelihood of getting your feet in the prop.

The one positive benefit I can see to having power...outside of helping those with physical limitations...is to help you cross large bodies of water more quickly. This would be especially helpful after a long strenuous day of fishing, when you have to get back to your vehicle against wind and.or current.

PS...Hey Joe. That Togiak is a great craft for handling waves, as long as you don't try to enter a surfing competition. It is made by Trout Unlimited, who also make the Kennebec. I had a Kennebec for a couple of years. They are good craft, but you wouldn't like the pockets. Instead of having one big pocket, for large tackle boxes, they have three long skinny pockets side by side. Okay for wimpy fly boxes but not for serious bassers or salt water fishermen. We gotta take our big boxes with us.
[signature]
I bought that same float tube at gart sports back in april for around 60.00 it is just like the kennebunk so i think your right they make it and outfitters puts there name on it. It is a pretty good tube high out of the water lots of pocket space, manuvers very well and pretty good in light wind. Well worth the money.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, poncho, thanks for the input. Glad you share my suspicions. Too much similarity to be a coincidence.

How are you doing these days? Haven't seen many reports from you lately. I understand the walleyes have gone deeper at Deer Creek. Been tryin' to dredge any of them up...or fishing at night?
[signature]
Just got back from vacation went home to Ks. for the 4th. The week before i left i fished deer creek 2 days in a row for walleyes, only caught 4 two one day and 2 the next they were deeper around 25 ft. Caught some smallmouth and a couple of rainbows also. Hit Jordan river today for a little while, caught some small cats and 3 carp. I need to get back to Deer creek soon but it's so hot i'm not too motivated. Hit Jordanelle the day before i left for Ks. looking for the walleye that's supposed to be in there still no luck, have yet to see a walleye come out of that lake. Caught some smallmouth and a whole bunch of perch, that lake must be full of perch. I'll probably get the boat out next week to either Deer Creek or Jordanelle. Sounds like all the Willard Bay fisherman will be looking for new water soon or just looking for water.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah. Tubes and 'toons will rule on Willard for awhile. Kinda gets ya a little worried, huh? There are nice little former lakes down here that have been dry for three years.
[signature]
I too bought a "Outfiters Expedition" EAGLE tube today. I wanted an open "U" style tube instead of my donut. Attached are some pics after first setup. I bought it at Garts in SLC while looking at the cadis that they have on sale. It was 69.00 so I hope I got an okay deal on it. I purchased this one over the cadis because it is larger, wider and supports more weight. There are also 3 pole holders and a fly reel holder, there is also more storage and the seating looks more comfortable. I will report back on Monday about what I think of it. Hope it goes well.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, OEJ, thanks for checking in and posting the pics. As I suggested on the Utah board, you got a good buy. This craft is the spittin' image of the Togiak, from Trout Unlimited. I have heard nothing but good reports on them. They handle wind and waves well and they fish well, with a lot of stability.

Hope you get out on the water with it soon and that the fishies cooperate to make it a good maiden voyage. We will look forward to your report. Come on back if you develop any questions or concerns on the shakedown cruise.
[signature]
Well all, I finaly took the tube out for its first voyage today. What a freaking blast! This was easily the most enjoyable trip that I have had in a long time. We arrived at the lake at about 630 this morning and there was a nip in the air. I was wearing hodgeman ultrlight breathables and at first no fins because i could not figure out the shoes/waders/fins combo. This craft was very easy to load up with ample room for storage all around. I liked the fact that there are 3 rod holders although all three were of different type. So I straped in my gear, put my waders on and made the trek to the "beach". Trying to figure out the best way without getting soaked was interesting to say the least but very educational. After getting into the craft and pushing off, I sat down and almost imediatly noticed a problem. The float was sagging in the water big time, I thought it was normal but the more I kicked around the more apparent it became that this was not normal. So I kicked my but back to shore pushed the tube and a lightbulb went off; the water is cold and this had some warm air in it... Hmmm... Lets fill this bad boy up again, after that no more problems! I also put my fins on this time and they made a huge difference, although fins are not a necesity they make navigation alot easier. All in all I spent a good 4.5 hours on the water enjoying myself and catching fish in the tube and plan on doing this again very soon.

By the way, thanks all for your help! And another thing, TubeDude is right about letting some air out of these bad boys when finished for the day. Luckily I did not have an explosion but by the preasure I knew it was coming.
[signature]
hi oej shoud'nt that now be ...have float tube will fish LOL

chris
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like we got a new member in our congregation. Hallelujah! Can I have an AMEN on that?

Hey, glad you had a good time. Once you go through the initiation of the first launch, you pretty much got it made. Now you work on making everything better, and pretty soon it gets to be automatic. You develop a little mental checklist you go through before a trip, during the launch and when you come back in. If you remember everything in the right sequence, you survive, catch fish and have fun. Overlook something and you will get a reminder from somewhere...like your tube sinking out from under you.

At least, in your open ended craft you were spared the indignity of trying to get your fins inside the waders after putting them on your feet (like they do in a round tube). Of course, that's not the way to do it, but I have laughed myself sick watching the "experts" on fishing programs trying to show people how to float tube...when they don't have a clue themselves.

You made the statement that fins are not a necessity. I think that if you ever have to try to navigate with only one fin (after losing one) you will gain a whole different perspective on that one. A real good test is to get out with fins on and power around at full throttle a bit. Then come in, toss your fins up on shore and try to do the same without them. It ain't gonna happen.

Congrats on a successful first voyage. By the way, where did you go and what did you catch?
[signature]
AMEN![laugh][laugh][laugh]

joe
[signature]
Opps, left out the goods didn't I? I agree that fins are the absolute way to go. I started the day without them, it is a great work out but definetly not athing to skip on. I went up to Current Creek above Strawberry with PoloKid and josttrolling. We caught a bunch of cutts at the weedlines then around 11 they decided to stop bitting. I posted the full report in the "Utah-general" section. Sorry, I do not have pictures of this trip, just to risky to take the digi cam on the maiden float adventure.
[signature]