Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handguns Reviewed
Because you asked, yes I am very familiar with guns... I was a police officer for 15 years and taught firearms for more than 12 of those years... including at Gunsite and the FARM... (sorry not bragging just wanted you to know that I am actually qualified to answer this question)

The XD's are great firearms, externally they are almost a copy of the Glocks, which I think is a good thing. Internally they are slightly different but the physics are the same. For me, the most important thing to look for in a handgun is that it goes bang every time you pull the trigger. If it doesnt do that the rest doesnt matter.

The XD's are reliable and go bang every time you pull the trigger, they hold one round more than the glocks and will last you a lifetime.... if anything ever breaks on an XD, which happens on even the best guns, you can replace it easily and inexpensively.

This conversation is kind of like the Ford/Chevy argument (or in my case Nissan Titan argument). There are a number of brands where you cannot go wrong purchasing and from there it is personal preference. I would not push you away from getting an XD for any reason. There are a number of brands I would stay away from depending on the kind of gun you are looking for but the XD's are solid.

Hope that answered your question. Let me know if you need anything else answered or a suggestion as to where to buy one, I do have some contacts that can help.
[signature]
So, Glock or XD. Which is your preference.. oh and why [Smile]
[signature]
Thats a really good question !!

Im bent between the Glock 19 or the XD subcompact
[signature]
Thank you for the post torn between the glock 19 and xd both are close to my price range and seems both are very reliable choices choices choices [Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
I will be happy to answer that question although I am not sure it will help.. I prefer the glock for two reasons.. #1 I used them and trained with them, a lot.

the police department I worked for switched from smith and wesson .357 revolvers to smith and wesson sigmas, and I hated the sigmas.. to anyone that has a sigma I will apologize ahead of time... SIGMAS SUCK.. the grip was horrible the trigger was horrible and they were breaking quite a bit.. so when we switched to the glocks I was in heaven.. then I went through the glock armorers school and just like benelli's I thought, wow there are so few parts, and it is so simple... then I watched as most of the departments in the state switched to glocks... they were great... I dont remember a single malfunction that wasnt operator error...

#2 there are more parts in the XD, not a lot but a few more parts.. and in my experience, the more parts the more chances to break.. the XD is clearly a copy of the glock but they added a few of their own modifications, which are fine but they dont do anything for me...

I think if I was looking to decide between one of these pistols my decision would probably be based more on price.. I would probably buy the one that was the cheapest..

I would also base it on what you intended to do with it.. if it was for concealed then I would buy a glock 23 or 19, if it was for carrying in the woods then I would probably buy the 22 or the XD.

I probably made it worse but I hope that helps
[signature]
Great response.. Thanks! I have been leaning toward the Glock... That helps tip the scale even more.
[signature]
I just wanted to add my to cents. I carry a XD sub religiously and love it. I don't have anything against glocks what so ever but the I would recommend shooting the new model before buying it. The handle is very uncomfortable to shoot and the slide can literally cut your fingers while loading the first round. Ask the guys at Impact arms and they will agree.
Good luck
[signature]
How accurate is the xd Sub? I guess I need to go shoot one and see Smile
[signature]
Ya thats a loaded question. I can shoot 4" patterns at 30' with my 40. I also really like the secondary safety on the XD (God forbid the kids ever got their hands on it) It just adds a little more safety than the Glock but like I said previously the prior to the latest model Glock is one of the best guns for your money
[signature]
This thread was on the For Sale in Utah board. I moved it over here so that it didn't get deleted.
[signature]
The XD does have a couple differences which would push me to Glock as well.

1. It is not a safe action pistol. It is a fully loaded striker which is basically a single action pistol. I know they do drop tests but from an armorers viewpoint I don't like a fully loaded striker without carrying the weapon "on safe"
2. It has a grip safety which I really don't like (except for the fact your carrying a fully loaded striker pistol). The grip safety in my opinion is a liability under stress if you do not train shooting with one hand a lot. Under stress one can easily not depress the grip safety and the gun will not fire. Not good if you need to use it to defend yourself.
3. The loaded striker indicator I have had gas come back in my face. I don't like that. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting but with that weapon I'd absolutely ensure you have eyes on.
[signature]
yeah I am with you submoa... I cant really say anything bad about the XD, I just dont like a grip safety unless it is on a colt... I love the grip on the glock, even the new one.. but that is just my preference...

its a good thing that there is more than one manufacturer of handguns otherwise what would we talk about??
[signature]