Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
haveingtrouble find some.... any largemouths
i haven't been fishing for a while because of an unusually large home work load but passed thought it to find that the largemouth are beeing very hard to catch.

this is a 2-4 acre pond in Rhode island but holds some nice bass. the problem i think is that the water temp now is in the 50-40 range and i am not very good at finding at the beginning and end of season

i have tried crank baits, hollow bodies swim baits, soft jerk baits, jigs plain and with a gulp trailer and tubes

any help would be appreciated
[signature]
Bass will stay in a general location, they move up and down, right now the top temps may be cooler than the temps below, I dont think we have had a turn over in the lakes yet.

Where you would find bass in mid to late summer is where you will find them now, only they will be moving much slower than summer.

in small ponds they cruse the whole pond.

Where I think your problem is, It may be your presentation. The common mistake is going to fast with your lures, slow it down a bit, if you have to go to smaller crank baits to go slower thats ok. Try a small rooster tail or go to a minimal weighted soft plastic.

Live bass minnows and shiners under a bobber workes real well this time of year.

near the drop offs and near standing weed beds is where you will find your "lmb's"

I dont see to many of them around the boat docks this time of year, mostly because they went down to deaper waters to cool off at the end of the summer and now the top waters are cold they want to stay in the wormer water..

you can also target them near boat launches and cannals this time of year.. people bringing in thier boats have stured up the bottom making available a smorgesboard for bait fish,, and bass love bait fish....[cool]
[signature]
I see from another post you are using 12 pound test line.

you may want to invest in to some barrol swivels and 6 or 8 pound leader spool.. Making a 2-3 foot leader of lighter test line will up your strike counts...

in colder waters you can catch bigger fish with smaller weight line. You will have to play them longer...

12 pound line is realy for horsing in bass, they use this heavy line in tournies because of time and not wanting to loose their crankbaits.

your avrage bass will go 2-5 pounds ocational 8s and vary few 10s I have only seen two bass in my life time that went 20 pounds. they both were in a privet stock pond and both died of winter kill after I chased after them for 10 years.
[signature]
thanks for the info and i usually don't use 12 pound, i usually use 6 or 10 but mostly 6 i was also wondering if they would be hanging around a big rock pile at this time of year because i finally located one this summer but haven't fished it until today
[signature]
We'er fishing deep structure this time of year. So if you found rocks all the better. Dave is right, go small and slow. Not alot of bites this time of year, but the chances for a big girl are better.
[signature]