Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hybrids
A gentleman from the state was kind enough to send me some pictures of two hybrids that received quite a bit of attention in recent threads. The brownbow and a brake trout. i am forwarding the pictures in case no one has seen one before. I want to thank the gentleman for taking the time to send them to me.
[signature]
Cool! I'm assuming that the Brownbows are bred in captivity. Don't rainbows and browns spawn at opposite times of the years? Are both of these hybrids sterile? What is the brake a mix of? Brook and Lake Trout or Brown and Lake trout?
[signature]
Can you Catch brakes or have they died off.They sure cool looking.
[Wink]Tincanfsh

Make it 5 in a row,Lance!
[signature]
Hey X where do those trout come from? I have never seen them nor heard of them.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
oh gimme a brake!

[Tongue]

sm
[signature]
these were experimental hybrids stocked in mill meadows reservoir predominantly. state was looking for types of fish other than rainbows that would not be effected by whirling disease. the program was cancelled becasue of high mortality rates and wasnt cost effective because of it.

the brake trout is a cross between a brown and a laker.
[signature]
Browns and rainbows DO spawn at different times of the year, but if they froze the eggs or sperm, mixing them up wouldn't really be an issue. I believe they have used the browns because they are naturally resistant to whirling disease. However they are not as gullable when it comes to bait fishing as are the bows, so not a good fish for planters.

Interesting fish to say the least.
[signature]
I do a lot of breeding and you can get any fish to spawn any time of the year. You just need to adjust the light cycle so they start spawning. It's actually quite easy to with any animal that breeds certain times of the year.

Their sure is a lot of hybrids out their now.
[signature]
After looking at the pictures I am positive I have caught some "brake" out of porcupine the fall before they drained it. You could tell they were all hatchery fish by there fins and were in the 20-24" range. I caught over 20 in one day stacked up in the fall at the inlet wishing they could spawn.
[signature]
well porcupine was the other lake they experimentally stocked them so there is a good chance that was what they were. too bad you didnt have one mounted. probably will never see that fish in existence again.
[signature]