Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio Free Fishing License Over 70
Hi Everyone!

We are residents of Ohio and have been all of our lives. My father just turned 70 in August and in the last few years, he's been paying $10 for his fishing license. We were at the ODNR site and it says that if he's born before December 31, 1937, he gets them free. But, he's not, he was born in 1939. But, then we check another site and it says if he's 70, he gets them free. We are Confused. Will he get free license now that he's 70 or will he pay $10 still because he wasn't born before Dec 31, 1937. And, what is special about that date? Each year it never changes. We thought it changed every year to denote that someone would get older, thus, they would be 70 on the date they put up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Ann Smile
[signature]
The way it reads to me is - yes he will still have to pay for his license.

[url "http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_licenses.aspx"][#63626b]http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/...ishing_licenses.aspx[/#63626b][/url]

LICENSES ARE VALID FROM
MARCH 1, 2009 TO FEBRUARY 28, 2010

[#000000]Resident Senior Fishing License[/#000000]
[#000000]$10.00[/#000000]

[#000000]For persons age 66 and older born on or after January 1, 1938 who have resided in Ohio for the past 6 months.[/#000000]

[left]Free Licenses
Qualified residents born on or before December 31, 1937 can obtain a free license at any license outlet or online.

The following Ohio residents are also eligible for a free license, available by calling 1-800-WILDLIFE:

[ul][li]Persons who are mobility imparied and require the assistance of another person to cast and retrieve[/li][li]Residents of state and county institutions [/li][li]Holders of “Veteran” license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol [/li][li]Certain veterans who are permanently disabled [/li][li]Former prisoners of war [/li][/ul]

as to what significance this date has to do with anything one can only guess. Mine would be that it had something to do with the end of the great depression...

but to get the real answer you will want to contact your local congressman...

I would be curious to know the reasoning for a none fluxuating date as well,, and of corse it could be a typo that has been over looked for a number of years or that no one has ever questioned it...

[signature]
Ann,
When your father goes to get the new fishing license have him present an I.D. with picture to show he is 70. He will get his license for free in Ohio. If he hunts he can receive his hunting license free also. I have been there when this has been done and it works for all that are 70 or over.

[signature]
Thanks Dwight,

the odnr site was deffenantly misleading..

and if any one would know for sure it would be you [cool]

Good to hear from ya,

Is windy keepin up with the times?
[signature]
She is now 73 and staying active. She has not hit the water with a line this year but has been playing in it with a pan prospecting for gold. This summer she has collected close to half an ounce of the yellow medal. I myself have had limited time to get a hook wet myself. I was hoping for this weekend but with my other half in rehab from a knee replacement this last week I just don't feel right without her at my side.
BTW We are working on another trip to the TX coast in April this next year.
Are you still working on your move to TN?
[signature]
Ya, I am still working on the move, the kicker is, I am about as far along as I was the last time I talked to ya.

I have wanted to learn about panning for years, not that I would expect to get rich, but it would be nice to collect enuff to make a ring or sumthing like that...