Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kern River report
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Well unfortunately I won’t be doing any bragging nor will 2/3rds of our group of 29 fisherpeople. The Kern River above Lake Isabella hasn’t been stocked in over two years. The know it alls are concerned about the safety of some small frog. Duh give me a break – no stocking but catch and kill of the native fish is okay? Those that did catch a fish or two were lucky to find areas in this big river where the natives were hiding out. The fly shop people were touting nymphs, midges and some streamer, but guess what they were having success with dry’s. Parachute Adams was a favorite. Monday morning at day break I gave the river one more go before leaving for home. Air temp was 36º & water temp 42º. A bit cool for the trout to start looking for breakfast. So after a while I packed it in and headed home. About 26 miles down the canyon took an access road to the river to see if anything looked interesting. Found a nice beach area where I could cast without having to put on my waders. I started with a San Juan as I heard that the spinners had good success with blood worms catching some planters. Well I got that one broken off, so I tried a glo ball and had that taken from me. As a made my way around some bushes to fish around some boulders I came across a big boulder jutting out from the shore with a smaller one about four feet up stream from it. That created a nice pool where the water was gently coming back up stream to create a mini eddie. OMG there were two huge trout sitting below the boulder. The one that was facing side ways to me had to be about 18” long. It was hard to estimate the other which was quartering me. I casted to the right and just beyond the big boulder which brought my fly directly over these two guys, but they didn’t even bother to move. Another fly an EHC same results. It should be noted that this was the first time that I had spotted a fish in four days. Previously I didn’t even see a fry which usually can be found hanging close to shore. I even plop down a fly just inches from their noses – zilch, nada. Guess where my first stop will be the next time I go up to the Kern.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]A view of the river from the lodge area.
[/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][inline "Kern River 1.jpg"][/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline "Kern River 2.jpg"]
[signature][/center]
sorry to hear you did not get into any fish mi amigo.. but at least you found yourself a potential honey hole that may work out for you next time you go up that way...:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hey there MacFly - as you know I love to fly fish - catching is a bonus for spending the day in a nice river. Beats sitting in traffic on a SoCal Fwy.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol.. well almost anything beats sitting in socal freeway rush hour traffic.. [:p] ... but your are right.. a day on the water even without fish is still a good day...]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Absolutely Dry Rod. And the scenery is beautiful
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][img]../../../images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]You have got that right FGD. As daylight broke the birds were waking up singing their stuff, listening above the rhythmatic sounds of the river one could make out various water fowls welcoming another day. Sure beats the he!! out of the pay & play ponds located around our freeways.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
you get an amen to that from me... [angelic]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I spoke to some other people on your trip and they reported similar results: great looking water and weather but few if any fish.

I was there in September and early October and landed 3 the first trip and maybe 6-8 the second trip, all after fishing hard the whole day with a little rotator cuff damage. Most were in the 7"-9" range. It used to be that you'd land a 12-14"er there and think how come I can't get any of the big ones. Now I'm thrilled if I break 10"'.

I still enjoy being there since it's so beautiful but I plan to explore the Lower Kern and the lake in the future as it also has bass in addition to some of those trout.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Try fishing below the cemetery, the spinners caught quite a few measuring up to 18". I stopped by there on my way home but was reluctant with my bad knee to venture down that long hill. I understand there is a way to get onto the gravel banks from the east side. Will have to check it out next trip.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Welcome back,

I think you have a posible jigsaw puzzle there in that second photo.. Great shot...

I dont blame ya for not wanting to chance injury for a fish, Aint no fish worth it, even a world record, what good is a record if you cant get back out to fish again. lol...
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Yeah that is true. The worse part would be lying at the bottom of the hill and no one would know about it. Maybe that is why the cemetery is so close by. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thank you for the report DR.
It sucks about the Kern River. What I understand
it was a great fishery back in the day.
There is a company that takes people on a horse back and takes you in way back county for few days. I was told that there is some crazy fishing and it is very nice as well
ofcourse.
That is something that I would like to do one day..........
But anyways, Im glad that you see the positive side
of things, fish or not.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Yeah I know the guy that does that. In fact some club members went on the back pack outing. If I was younger would do that in a heart beat.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Dryrod,

I've never had much luck just above the lake but I know some others that have. Since they are still stocking the lake, I'm going to have to try floating it right where the river comes in. Sounds like a good use of my soon to arrive pontoon boat once I get a motor on it.

When approaching from the other side, use extreme caution in the sandy spots. It's like driving on a beach. I was sweating it out last time I drove in there and barely got out after the traction control kicked in several times. I know two people that have been stuck there and it was quite expensive to get towed out since it's considered "off-road". One of them was in a 4 wheel drive.
[signature]
Nice [Smile]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Oh I know better to take my car near the sand. I have a crossover and it rides to close to the ground for any of that action. But thanks for the heads up.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]