Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what strength rod to use
i am planning on getting an abu vendetta and cant decide whether to get th 7'3 medium 10-20 version or the 7'6 12-25

i dont know which to choose... i like the extra 3 inches since i am fishing from shore and need distance but also don't want it to be too heavy- the bass are usually 1-3 lbs but get a little bigger, its a 3 acre pond and apparently has 1 fish about 7 lbs

i already have a finesse rod and would use this for slightly larger baits like 3-4 inch swim baits shaped like bluegills and flipping and pitching
[signature]
Honestly, flipping rods don't cast really well. Even though most flipping rods are 7'6"+, they're too stiff to load up (bend) when you're casting. I have a 7'6" flipping stick that I wouldn't even think about taking for shore fishing. Flipping sticks are made to bull-handle fish out of cover, that's the reason they are much more stout but it also kills the casting action.

I'd go with the 7'3" medium heavy (or at least it sounds like a medium heavy). It might be 3 inches shorter, but I'll bet you a pack of senkos and a 1/4 oz tungsten sinker that you'll cast it further. You can flip and pitch with the 7'3" also. I have a 7'2" medium action Shimano Cumara... I use it for some flipping but it'll also cast all the line off your spool with a 1/2 oz rattle trap.
[signature]
thasnks for the advice, i think i might go with the 7'3 sonce it wont affect distance
[signature]
The 7'3" medium will be perfect if you were using it for casting, but since you're also looking to use it for flipping and casting out larger swimbaits, then I would go with the same size but a medium-heavy actions. This should do well for you. I have the same exact rod and it's a great rod especially for the price.
[signature]
thanks for the advice although i might not be throwing many large swim baits, because of the size of the fish, but its good to hear that its a good rod, the biggest swim bait i will be using will be around 1 oz
[signature]
I don't think you'll have a problem casting lures like a SPRO BBZ-1 shad or a Jackall Giron with it. You'll find that rod to be really versatile, so if you change your mind, it'll be a good jig rod or flipping stick too.
[signature]
thanks i think i will go with that, would 12 pound line be good for it or should i mabey go to 10 or over 12, i dont mind haveing to play a large fish
[signature]
I'd probably put 12 to 17 pound fluoro on that rod. Honestly, 17 will probably work with the heavier lures (3/4 and 1 oz) and you don't want to be losing $20 swimbaits on any regular basis... The extra strength will save you money and it won't hinder the bait.

I don't like braided line for hard swimbaits because you'll find the line will get wrapped around the trebles a lot more often (10% to 20% of your casts will be ruined). Braid is so limp that it gets tangled easier, stick with mono or fluoro for swimbaits.
[signature]
thanks, i think i might get the 12 since the swim baits will probably be under 1 ounce nut over 1/2 and what swim baits would you suggest, i have some soft and don't want to spend the same on a lure as a reel i hopping like a 3 inch bluegill for medium depth
[signature]
I would suggest a football head jig in blue and black opr chartreuse and white with a craw papi trailer for shore fishing, with that large weed guard on the jig you should be able to pull through any cover you encounter leading to the bank. Also you might try going with yum money minnows on Gamakatsu weighted hooks. I have a friend who fishes a private bass pond and does well with both these rigs from shore. Personally I have done well with a drop shot rig using the Gary Yamamoto Senko (4 in.). fishing from shore.

Hope this helps!

BZ
[signature]
thanks i'll try that, the jig should be good because there are some areas with some serious underwater weeds to the point were it feels like a 2 pounder
[signature]