Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ever built your own custom fishing rod?
ever built your own custom fishing rod?
i would love to learn how to and im sure that there are others who fill the same but dont know where to start ..

has anyone that has done this or helped in doing one
i would like to see if someone might think about doing a class or teaching a small group of fishermen.

this would be a great winter project or maybe a way to make that xmas gift for fisherman or women a custom made rod with there name on it plus it would be a great way to get togather and talk fishing just a thought.

i am planing on trying to do one this winter would love some other fishermen to bounce ideas off of and maybe get some group buys togather on kits or supplies its cheaper that way and saves on shipping to,
maybe you know of suppliers that could help us get started..
[#ff0000]lets hear what everyone thinks it could be fun and would make a great gift idea..hint all you wifes out there hers your gift idea..[/#ff0000]
[signature]
I actually did it as a class up here at USU a couple years ago. I'd be happy to teach anyone how. It's pretty fun to see the end result. I could talk to the guy who taught the class about getting kits. His kits were $75 for a 9' 5wt fly rod.
[signature]

we/ve had a few classes in the past over at tubedude's house. mabe we can have another one some time this winter. I also know a co-worker that wants to learn how to build and custom wrap. I have a wrapping machine and build a few rods a year and sell them. If you would like we can have a get together and I can show you the steps.
doing the custome design wraps are a little more involved and would take a few get togethers. I have mondays and tuesdays off so those days would be the best for me, or even sunday evening would work.
just let me know. later chuck
[signature]
I've built and repaired many rods over the years for a variety of applications.

Most people begin building their own rods to save a few bucks. You can initially save quite a bit of money on the premium rods. It is satisfying to fish with a rod you've created.

The one big drawback that is not often mentioned is that when you break a custom rod, the rod companies only warranty the blank. You'll have to rebuild the rod, and usually the only components that can be salvaged are the guides. Nice handles and reel seats are not cheap and will likely have to be replaced. That is why I said, "You can initially save quite a bit of money."

Just an FYI. Good luck!
[signature]
[#500000]Yes.....I watched Chuck at Tube Dudes, and went home and built my own wrapper.........I built a nice 4 Wt. rod to catch white fish down below my house on the Weber in the winter.......It was fun.......Chuck or Utwalleye can get you a little dizzy with his custom wraps, but he builds a beautiful rod.[/#500000]
[#500000]By the way, Thanks for the introduction to the sport Chuck.[/#500000]
[#500000]There are several web sites that have step by step instructions as well.[/#500000]
[#500000]I found out that you can get some pretty good blanks at reasonable prices, but Chuck can fill you in more than me on that stuff.....He's the Man.[/#500000]
[signature]
i love it when people respond with info and invatations
this is what this club is all about i would love it if we could get a class going so you can share your skills
and add to the experince for others.
i am willing to pay a fee to an instructor,for a class
maybe we can build a few for next years fish with a vet day and have them printed with made and donated to or vetrans by big fish tackle, and your name as the one who made it ...

i was also wondering why we dont have a do it yourself spot on the board.
[signature]
[quote tlarson]

i was also wondering why we dont have a do it yourself spot on the board.

[/quote]

What's wrong with the rod building board that we already have? [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=7"]Click here[/url]
[signature]
I am building my first Fly rod, which has now turned into two fly rods at the same time. When I am done with them, I will build my Bamboo that has been sitting in pieces in the corner[Wink]

My Hubby has build several
Here is a sample if you don't mind:

[Image: McFarland6w.jpg]

[Image: Lami74w-1.jpg]

[Image: Lami5w8-1.jpg]

And here is the color choices on the ones I am building:

[Image: IMG_2165.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2147.jpg]

All I can tell you as a newbie myself, Silk is very nice to work with, but you need water. Dip the end of the silk in water and it will stick to the blank while you wrap.

Make sure you do the test to make sure the guides are right, and there will be a top and a bottom to a blank.

BUT, If I can do it....anyone can.
[signature]
my comment was for all things fishing,and boating not just rods sorry for confusion
[signature]
[quote tlarson]

i was also wondering why we dont have a do it yourself spot on the board...

my comment was for all things fishing,and boating not just rods sorry for confusion

[/quote]

I thought that was what every board on here already was.
[signature]
[#500000]Nice work Flygoddess.[/#500000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We are trying to put together a Saturday afternoon session at my place on either the 5th or 12th of December...between turkey day and Christmas. It will be on Tackle Craft, which will include basic rod making and repairing...not advanced. But will give you some idea of the physical processes involved.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, I will PM you a PDF file I put together for the attendees at our last rod making session. I am rewriting that and including pictures, etc. The writeup I am sending has some links to sources of supply and lists the parts you will need and the basics of how to put them together.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know the way to my place. If you would like to come for a personal looksee on rod making...and start deciding what kind of rod you want to make...shoot me a PM and we can work it out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fish tech has rod supplies and if you talked to them they could have a class at the store...
[signature]

Hey Pat I could make the 5th class I'm off that night.
I'm just finishing up a split handle spinning rod.
I wrapped a split diamond up the rod and did a weave of a shark in the split part of the handle, not bad looking.
if anyone wants to learn the fancy wraps or weaves, I can bring my junk over. later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am sure that everybody would like to see the samples of your handiwork. You are a true craftsman when it comes to the exotic designs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, since rod building will only be one part of the total session, we will not have time for a lot of wrapping demo. The main idea for including rod building is to show what can be done and to go over some of the component parts and the considerations that go into designing and building your own rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to have some blanks and some basic components to show and tell. But, having some of your fine finished rods to see will doubtless serve as encouragement to those who want to make their own rods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you can make it on the 5th, that will be our target. I will verify a couple of things on my end and then we can post an announcement.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Ok, sounds good to me. I bring some of my finished rods and some of my tools that I use to mark the spacing of the wraps. I'll also bring my book and some print outs.
later chuck
[signature]
Lots of them, freshwater and saltwater
[signature]
I have 4 extra latest issues of Rodmaker Magazine. You can have them if you would like. Rodmaker has some very informative articles on rodmaking. PM me.
[signature]
would love them thanks let me know how to get them from you
thanks todd
[signature]
i finished my first rod this weekend just basic wrap
nothing fancy but i finnished it and tomorrow i might have to try it out at the local pond will post how it worked

hope it will work well
[signature]