Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Report
Ok since the cat is out of the bag I guess it is alright to report on Henrys. Went up on Thursday with one of my sons. Started out near the county boat dock fishing white paddle bugs. Caught six fish in quick order and then the masses showed up.

I don't have any problem with sharing an area with people other than people need to be smart and understand that if you are stomping around, drilling, smashing old holes etc... on crystal clear ice in four feet of water the fish will leave, and they did. One fish here and one fish there were caught but after about 9:30 it was over in that area.

Decided to head over to the hatchery. The ice was very difficult to get onto, but we found away and ended up fishing three inches of ice. Caught 4 fish between noon and one and then the midday slow down went into affect. I had to be back intown in the early evening so we decided to take off.

Over all it was a beautiful day on the lake. The ice was good and bad depending on where you went. I didn't see anyone go in and most people caught at least a couple fish.

I'm looking forward to trying some new areas at the end of next week.

Here are a few pics....

Windriver
[signature]
great report and pics too! I might just have to find a way to head up there next week.
[signature]
Cool fish! I like that bright red cuttie. wish I could go! Do you know when chesterfield typically freeses?
[signature]
WR,

Thanks for the report. Those are nice photos. I was expecting polished glass ice by your description but that ice looked like it had some snow and frozen slush entrained. If you could give more description of where the trouble was (in terms of dangerous ice) it might help since it could be snow covered (if and) when I get there and the areas that were open water or thin ice will no longer be obvious.

FR
[signature]
The shore ice at Staleys, the hatchery, and the cliffs was terrible. However, that can change from day to day.

Most of the ice was like polished glass. You are seeing the areas that are chopped up by augers etc... You could walk around and see the weed patches in a lot of areas.

Windriver
[signature]
It depends on the year, but Chesterfield is generally shallow like Henrys. Seems like it gets good ice around the middle of Dec most years, sometimes around Christmas.

My family and I are renting an apartment in Lava around New Years and fishing during day/swimming at night.

Windriver
[signature]
Just got back from Henrys it was OK in the morning,between 4 of us we managed 6 fish. By about 9 it shut down. We fished just West of the outlet. Ice was about 4" to 5" no problems there. Saw alot of action under water looking down the holes, but it seemed like they just came to check it out and they disappeared. No big boys but it was fun. On the way home we stopped and checked out islandpark and it was 2" to 3" . We walked out there and it was pretty scary. In another week and some cold weather it should be good. Last year it was hot early in the season. So I think islandpark should be just as hot or better. Hopefully i can get in to some big kokanee.
[signature]
Made my first ice fishing trip to Henry's this morning. We started out at the State boat ramp and it was slow caught two fish in three hours, nobody around us touched a fish. Then we found out we were at the State ramp I thought I was at the county ramp (shows how much I know about Henry's only the second time I've ever fished it). So we headed over to the County ramp area, fishing was better over there we hooked four more fish and missed some others in about an hour. All of them nice 19 inch fish. The ice was a good 5 inches at the State ramp and probably 4 inches at County, it did snow a couple inches up there today so be careful its hard to read the ice under snow.
[signature]
Sounds like my son and I did OK. We spent the day at Henry's and started at the county boat ramp and walked out away from the main population we each iced three from 7:00-11:00. Best fish was a fat 23' Hybrid, and my son iced two nice 21' cutts. We had enough fish to keep the day interesting, and plus the larger fish gave us quite a fight.

Moved around and could not find anything ended day at the state hatchery were we iced two more nice fish.

2 hybrids, 4 cutts, and 2 brookies.

OvidCreek
[signature]
WR,

Thanks for the update.

I couldn't help but to zoom up there (and after some brief fishing - zoom back) today. The ice was safe and I don't have a measurement but went straight to the county dock and after lots of checking (I was the only one there and went out past the other drill holes by quite a distance) just kept walking and drilled a batch of holes. Based on the other reports and my observation, I believe the entire lake is safe now (except if there are springs or something unusual going on).

I am not a believer in catch and release when I am putting the fish at risk. It was so cold that I was putting them at risk even with pliers and quick turnarounds, so I kept my two and headed home. They were biting everything I tried. I was using my normal perch rigs and tried both meal worms and nightcrawler chunks. Maybe it was because I was early in the day but I caught five as fast as I could put my outfits back in the hole. Mine were only in the 17 to 19 inch bracket but under normal circumstances - that is not bad. I was on my way out when the first competing crew showed up (about 8:30 A.M.). For GPS folks, I was 0.19 miles from where I parked (at the county boat dock) bearing 069 degrees.

FR
[signature]
OvidCreek,

hey didn't know it but after reading your report figured it was you that I saw first thing in the morning at the boat ramp, we were the guys that went out the same time as you. Sounds like we did about the same as you, I am sure I will be seeing you around
[signature]
Creed,

Glad to hear you did allright! If I ever get my hands on another BFT Sticker I am throwing it on my sled, so that I may make quicker connections. I am going to take the next two days off and hit an unamed spot tomorrow, but I will probably be at Henry's early Tuesday morning near the county boat ramp if anyone wishes to drop by and say hi!

OvidCreek
[signature]
I will be at Henry's most of the day Monday . I will be in a Silver Dodge 2500 , over by the cliff . If you see us come by and say Hi . Curt G.
[signature]
We fished 6 hours and landed 11 fish . All fish were small for Henry's . Curt G.
[signature]
Thanks for the update; my son and I will be up there early am tomorrow. We fished another high area pond today and iced 79 bows; before anyone gets too excited they ranged from 4.5-9' (thats inches not pounds)

OvidCreek
[signature]
Thanks for the report Curt G. This may be a little redundant, but how was the ice in your opinion? Thanks!
[signature]
The ice was safe 4" of clear ice with 2" of snow on top . At the cliffs the best bite was 15' from the bank . Curt G .
[signature]