Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Todays hunting trip
Headed into the stateland after work today , 200 yds. in there's another hunter on the edge of the swamp telling me his buddy is 150 yds ahead , so I just back out and head threw the woods to the N.E. edge of the swamp and travel west from there .
I found a nice area about 600 yds. in and then spot a nice blow down area off to the N.W. , off I go and yep , nice sign everywhere . I sit and wait , see a few huge does and some button bucks but from the scrapes and rubs around I can tell there is a big boy in there somewhere . I wait , transition dusk comes and then as I start out the flashlight dies .
Man I really , really hate when that happens , it isn't my first time , I'm sure it won't be my last .
I know there is a overgrown 2-track somewhere to the east but if I miss that or I loose direction I would be out all night .It's got to be 20 or 30 miles of wilderness to Houghton Lake , 5 miles of heavy brush to M-18 to the west and just a mile to the 2-track .
Swamp , thick woods and cool air = fog , so much for keeping the moon over my right sholder , it's now pitch black as the sun dips behind the horizon . In this heavy brush getting a fix on the moon despite the fog is nearly impossible , yea , I did it again I think to myself .
Did I mention I'm in black bear country ? We have a dozen or so in the area and I'm hoping that two largest seen this year the 350 and 600 lb. bears aren't out looking for a evening snack . I have three rounds in the 270 I received from my love of my life on my 48th birthday, any shot at a bear would be at point blank range and that would still be a messy situation .I don't even want to think about the cougars .... [#3b5998][size 1]Read More[/size][/#3b5998][/url]
After what seems like 20 minutes of blindly plowing threw the brush I decide it's time to sit and take stock of my situation and think my way out of the area , I should have already hit that 2-track by now if I didn't already cross it or went the wrong way .
No visible landmarks or stars , no streams to follow , no wind for direction , I sit and listen for sounds of civilisation .
I hear small animals in the brush , what I hope are deer moving a dozen yards away ( not forgetting the bears ) .
Several groups of coyotes start to yip and howl from different directions near and far and a owl starts to hoot nearby .
I laugh , this is what I wanted when I moved here , no noisy neighbors .
I have a compass in my pocket but no longer do I have a light to see it with , a whistle , a knife and some rope .This close to home I really don't need to carry anything more on me , or so I thought .
The vegetation is damp but I can build a fire with the ammo ,some birch bark and the pine branches and I almost consider doing just that . The flames would give me just enough light to make the glow-paint on the compass visible for a few minutes . I remembered that trick from a Boy Scouts handbook that my Godfather Uncle Richard gifted me along with a pen knife on my eleventh birthday . I still possess the knife and the knowledge from that book remains with me to this day .
The birch trees reflect what light my eyes have become acclimated to seeing in this wooded maze and I get an idea .
I get a piece of the bark off a fallen birch and lay my compass on it , surprisingly enough it works and I can just faintly make out the compass markings from the reflective light the bark gathers .
I had been going north , north-east and would have if on that steady corse hit a highway in a minimum of a mile and a half. I however thought I was traveling due east all that time and more than likley was traversing the darkened woods in circles .... [#3b5998][size 1]Read More[/size][/#3b5998][/url]
I set my compass for a south-east direction and check my bearings every 5 to 10 minutes , within an hour I find a trail a quad had made during last weekends hunt . That trail led to the overgrown two track and then the road where my adventure began from . I drew a breath of relief that I was not going to be on the news as another lost hunter that had to be rescued just a short distance from his home .

You know , someone would think I would learn something from this being that this isn't the first time I have been temporarily turned around in that area . My last time was during a blizzard last black powder season and prior to that was during a couple walkabouts during the late summer scouting deer and bear to hunt .

There is a big buck in those woods and I left a glove somewhere out there while hunting , I plan on bringing both of them home with me soon .
[signature]
dude.been there done that..then i finnally decided a handheld gps system was worth it...it might be that time for you..that compass tells you what dirrection to go but not were your at..
[signature]
dont feel to bad, I got lost in a five acre parcel in the middle of a 100 acre corn feild, Ya I was in a blizard where I couldnt see 20 feet in front of my face,

no doubt, it is humbling... It is suprizing how one can get lost once turned around or a well known tract of land has changed it topography.

I recently visited a peice of woods I spent hundreds of hours in my early deer hunting years, none of the trails looked the same, nearly all the trees had changed in aperance.

if you were to sit me there in the dark I would be plumb lost. In the day light I scarcely reconized the place.

next time use the light from the cell phone to light the compas [:p]. I take mine along, but I turn it off while hunting. Not that I plan on ever shooting my self in the foot, one just never knows when smokey the bear says you better get out of here..[laugh]
[signature]
I got me one of them hand held jobbies,

I like it real well, I can mark my car before I step in to the woods as my home point so my gps will always point to my car.

I can even set my gps to track my movements and walk me right back to my car on the vary path I took to get out there.

I got me an el cheepo, Garmin for 84 bucks.. I have had mine now for 5 years... the best part is I can find my ice fishing hole after a 3 foot snow fall.. [:p] I'd say, "Well worth the bucks"...
[signature]
yes well worth the price..ive got all locations of my treestands marked..and past locations on my favoite ice fishing locations from years past..i got all my favorite weedbeds on houghton already marked..waiting for first ice
[signature]
I have a old GPS , Garmin 84 , it just takes forever for me to get signal in that thick stuff I hunt .
once I walk threw any brush signal is lost and have to start all over again .
I didn't get scared at all this time , those other times I left the compass at home and had to best guess my way back .
You guys did see where I mentioned the cougar ?
He was spotted 3 miles away from that spot in a neighbors yard .
[signature]
I would be more afraid of the bear than the cougar, even a sited one in the neighborhood.

one was spotted tree miles from my house a couple years back, I my self even saw on in the woods near the rail road tracks in the milford area a couple years back about a week before the siting in west bloomfeild behind a meijers store.

the one in your area could be the vary same as the one from here if he is following the rail road line. there is an old rail road line that goes from milford east to the meijers store in west bloomfeild, it ends just a couple miles on the other side of meijers, if he doubles back he can follow the tracks north all the way to your area passing right on though with out ever getting noticed.

truthfuly I would not be suprised if there were more of those big cats living here and it is the recent over development of areas that have driven them out in to visible site.
[signature]
We have a big un' up here , tracks are larger than a bears paw print .
I really don't care what the D.N.R. says about shooting them being illegal , I'll do the Three S Plan , Shoot , Shovel and Shut up .
[signature]
the one good thing about cats are, and this includes big cats, they just a soon not want to have any thing to do with people, "unless they are under deress.

just dont get your self caught taking pot shots at them from a hundred yards away...

they do get humongous, most folks dont realize just how big they do get. hence the name "Mountain Lion"

speaking of lions, we saw another sold out loss last thursday... "I mean, if we want to see the lions win a game, all we need do is stay home and dont bother going to a home game. [:p]
[signature]