Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck hunting question/PLEASE???
Ok so im new to this whole duck hunting thing. Ive been told you dont have to hide very good and ive been told you do?? So my question is how well do i have to hide while duck hunting?? I have the camo and things. Do i need to be way hiding like turkey hunting??? or can i stand out and let them come to my deeks?? THANKS again for anyone's help....
[signature]
Just like turkeys, ducks have great vision. I would not be out in the open thats for sure. The better you stay hidden the more ducks you will get to commit to your decoys. Come to think of it though i have never tried to hunt without being hidden well so maybe its not a factor.
[signature]
Ya ducks vision is pretty amazing. The better you're hid up the more ducks you will kill. Some places you'll find that it seems like you hide up so well and they still flare when they get over top of you...some places you're sure they'll see you and they don't. One of the biggest things is to keep you're face down and still....nothing flares duck like you turning you head to watch ducks...keep it low and watch with your eyes. Camo your face if you have to...some guys just can't resist watching the ducks., and always try to be in the shade. The sun will relect off your camo clothing and your skin much different than it's surroundings.
[signature]
GREAT TIPS!! thanks to the both of you very much!!!!!! I figured as much but then i was told nah dont worry about it and i was like hmm dont sound right.... THANKS AGAIN U 2!!!!
[signature]
I like everyone's comments here. I agree with them having great vision, and what was said about shade, and faces. I hadn't ever really thought about camo clothing reflecting light differently than natural vegetation, but that makes total sense.

Ducks will sometimes come right in when you're out standing around like a retard, but I wouldn't count on it. If you are camoed up good in something that somewhat resembles your surroundings, you only have about 2 things to worry about: your face, and movement.

I think those 2 things are huge regardless of what you are wearing. I think they have a lot tougher time noticing you if you are completely motionless - just like deer. Especially given how much terrain they have to survey. As far as your face - out in the cattails and waterfowly areas, your face might as well be a big mirror.

Obviously, you have to know where the ducks are and what they are doing. But a face pointed towards the sky and/or moving around cancels out hundreds of dollars worth of camo gear.

Keeping shaded up, face masks, face paint, facial hair, and hiding up in your surroundings are all good things that should buy you some freedom here, but I always try to keep my face down, look out of the corners of my eyes. And move very little and/or only when the birds are positioned to where it would be impossible for them to see you.

One other thing that I think makes a big difference is where you are hunting. The birds definately seem to care alot less when you are hunting somewhere they are feeding (e.g. corn/grain fields) vs. somewhere they are simply resting (water).
[signature]
dma this is a great question and one that you will never fully learn, like was written above sometimes you are hidden so well and a duck will still flare out, like they have a duck sense that tells them you are there. but other times ducks will come into a "honey hole" moments after you shoot or even if your in plain site. what i always try to do it act like i belong. for instance there are 2 diffrent places i hunt that there is absalutly no place to hide just a old fence line were they fly over for some reason. so what i do is basicly hug that fence line. i stand so i am right up against it and try to get my head to be about lvl with the top of the post. those ducks fly right over me like i am the post. there are a couple places we jump geese but there is a large field inbetween the area we sneak up on them. if we walk threw the field normaly the birds spook and fly but if we hunch over one right behind another like a animal (cow, horse, deer or whaterver) most of the times they wont spook and we can get to the area were we can sneak on them. the info about not turning your head is about the best tip you can ever learn keep your head down and hold still. this means your gun to keep it low and still tell your ready to shoot.

camo is something i have never realy gotten into. i know some ppl swear they have gotta have the most expensive ralistic stuff there is. but i use my carhart coat and overalls and thats about it. now i wouldnt say wear huter orange or midnight black but just wear base colours or something close to the surroundings, and try to use something to break your shape up weather it is some grass, a tree, or even a fence post. no one ever believes me on the fence post but it works i promise you.
[signature]
I believe you about the fence post. I have shot many ducks and geese in Montana doing the same thing you explained.

dma_ayotte: One more tip that hasnt been mentioned is keep your gun out of the sun. Unless it has a camo finish. Those barrels are sure purdy but they might be the reason your doing everything right but still have birds flaring on you. I like to keep my gun down close to the ground and with me shooting an O/U it has a lot more surface to reflect so I also keep it so that the sights are facing up. Most guts have a textured strip on the top of the barrel that does not reflect like the side of the barrel

hope this helps ya. Waterfowl hunting is one of the most addicting thinks I have ever done. Maybe that is why I have kept doing it since I could ever remember going with my dad and carrying a bb gun.
[signature]