Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview - Musky - Bass hunt
Heading to Pineview tomorrow morning. Looking for help to find the best places on the lake to try my hand with the Tiger. Will be float tubing or on an inflatable boat with people power. This is the first time ever to go after the tiger but still want to catch some SM. What to use? No clues, but some hints from reading the posts on everyone elses tiger experiences.
[signature]
I'll be there at the narrows first thing in the morning , and packing float tube . I usually fish from shore for a while first . Lots of small smallies but the have been hitting almost any kind of jig . Lures will work too , but go with the deeper dive plugs as the sun comes up .Smallies have been shallow first light . I been having good luck with chartreuse jigs , and senkos . I would like to find some bigger fish but most of what I have caught are 6" to 12 " . Muskies , well I'm still trying and most likely will always be trying . Come by and we'll chase them together . I might go to the north arm if things are slow by the dam , so look for a GMC with stickers .
[signature]
by your name sounds like you might be flyfishing for em. if so let me know. I might be able to help you outj
Trent
[signature]
FIshed Saturday all day started out by the east swim beach,was probably a mistake, but the rest of the clan was going to heading up there for the day. Fished the first bay to the south and got nothing but snags, say a lot of really large carp tought we'd just try to get one to bite for the fun of it, but they had other things in mind. Water temp was 68 deg when we started out. We were using my buddies fish finder for the very first time and this whole trip was to really learn how to use it, oh and to try to catch some fish. Moved to the first bay across from the east swim beach where we pulled up 2 small fish (perch I think) then the excitement hit I kind of watched in horror as this monster bass shot up from the bottom in about 15 fet of water hit my line about 3 feet from the surface gave one sharp pull and snapped 8 lb spider wire. I watched it happen in slow motion it was so clear and I was so suprised I could do absolutely nothing, yeah I had tension on the linebut he snapped it so easily I couldn't believe it. from my view he was a monster easily more than 18" had a head the size of a softball. Later we pass a boat who said they had caught one tiger and had another snap his line at the boat both +30". After we had some lunch and waited for the heat of the day to pass we watched from the east swim beach as a huge tiger trolled the swimming area in about 3 feet of water this guy had to be over 4 feet long and I saw him push his head out of the water until easily 18" of his body was out of the water then dissapear. It was cool to see. As for me I threw everything in the tackle box again, nothing, but that was ok I had my thrill, one monster tiger trolling for small swimmers and one monster bass trying to rip the pole from my hands, either way I see it, it was a learning experience. Only one thing that was missed during the coarse of the day was a cool brew at the Shooting Star Saloon. By the way I didn't have my fly rod along this time.

Earlier inthe week we went to Cottonwood Creek around the beaver dams and I caught my first fish ever using a fly and yellow wolly worm tied by my nine year old daughter (yellow chaniel and white hackle) she did a good job on it and it worked. It was a first for the two of us. My first fish & the first fish one of her flies had caught.

As far as Pineview still don't know what I doing wrong but learning...
[signature]
Pineview can be a blast and fun learning it . Did you try some jigs ? I even hooked a big carp on a crappie jig . Like to hook some more bass out of there too . Not sure if you had perch ? here is a pic of some perch . [center][Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0274441.jpg][/center] [left]I think if the fish you caught didn't have the marking on them they were smallmouth . Cool seeing those muskies cruise like that . I just wish I could hook one . Need to check out the Shooting Star Saloon myself for a cold brew next time . [/left]
[signature]
Hey great tape measure fot those fat little pearch.
[signature]
Yep they were perch, but not near as nice as those. The ones we caught were aboiut half a can at best. We threw jigs, lures, streamers, somes lures that are so old thaey haven't been out of the tackle box for 30 years. The only fish we caught were opn worms (Old reliable). Sorry I missed you I didn't catch your reply before I was out the door and headed for Pineview. We were in an inflatable 12 footer with a makeshift set-up for the fishfinder. Next time we'll start out on the other end of the lake. How do the boats bother you while you're in the tube? If took two days before the swells kept heaving in my head. I'm an old navy man but the little boats screw me up if I stay out all day.
[signature]
Up by the dam I believe it is wakeless speed , but sometimes someone will break the rule . I did good when the water was higher in the flooded brush and having the waves of the boat come thru the weeds . Fish seem to come out from cover and chase fry around when the waves come crashing in . I was fishing close to shore too . Up by the dam all I can get is smallies . Seen bluegill cruise by in the rocks . I guess I need to hit the shallows in the weeds to find some largemouth bass . I hear those muskies you see cruise on top wont feed . I tried and nothing . I mostly throw jigs unless I casting to muskie and I throwing the whole kitchen sink at them . LOL Never been sea sick or bothered by being on a tube or boat all day . I fished Strawberry for 5 straight days on a boat and felt a little tippse after that or was it the beer .
[signature]