Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Tying Material
This is my first post so sorry if I don't know what I am doing.

I have been fly tying for a little over 6 months now. With my initial fly tying kit, I received various Saddles. My problem is I end up cutting/trimming the hackle because it is too long. Most flies that I tie are size 12 and I have been told that they are tied rather small.

For the past several months I have been routinely checking the nearest fly shop in the area and for some reason they never have a grizzly Saddle. So, I have resorted to the internet. The problem is I can't really see the product so I'm not sure what to even expect.

I've heard that number 1 is the best, but number 2 isn't much different. I've also noticed in my search that some hackles are microbarb.

My questions are:
- is there really that much of a difference between a number 1 Saddle and a number 2?

- Is microbarb the name of the product or does that mean the feather is smaller (for example a microbarb number 2 would be the same as a regular number 1)?
[signature]
Yes there is a difference in a 1 and 2 which is not to say you can't find a great 2.
Unfortunately, you do have to see it.

The Micro will have a few smaller, but no I wouldn't say it is a better choice.

You will have LONGER Saddles on the 1 and 2 that fit your needs.

I rarely buy the 1's as the price is up there, but I have several stores I can look through the hackle.

If you are focusing on #12 I think a two would be a good choice. Even some 16's on them.

I just bought a #2 that is awesome. I would be happy to share some of it with you if you want to PM me an address.
[signature]
Thanks for the information. It was extremely helpful.

That's nice of you to share some of your hackle, but don't worry about it. Although I have only fished for the last few years, I'm in it for the long haul. I will just have to keep looking to find what I am looking for.

I took a glance at your blog. Those are some beautiful fish. It was pictures like that, that got me in the float tube for the first time this year. From that point on I spent about 90% of my fishing in the tube. I didn't catch as many fish as I did last year, but there is no comparison to the size of fish.

Henry's lake has produced some BIG fish. I personally haven't made it up there . . . maybe next year.

Anyway, thanks again!
[signature]