Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clue me in.
Yep, I duck hunt a bit and bring em home for breasting, along with goose, upland, venison,etc. [Smile] My question - what is the problem with the general public and duck eating and the other stuff and the general public.? For my wife, is weird. She won't touch it since she it reminds her of rabbit which is a no, no.??? Now, I don't understand, and think her feelings are not representative, but is there a bigggggggg problem with the general public and game meat??? I've used duck meat in a variety or dishes, at the last, being in cut up portions in spaghetti sauce instead of hamburger, etc., and it just tastes great, at least to me. I think it tastes every bit as good as other meat additives. So, what's the problem with the general public? I pride myself with at least an average sense of taste, so again, is there a visual reference problem or just a fixed inflexible concept of "wild game" in general? I do see big $ being charged at high class restaurants but I know it ain't wild. [frown][frown] So clue me in. [Smile]
[signature]
As my wife tells me now... If she see's it before it makes it to the 'saran wrap' then she knows it used to be a cute, furry/feathered forest critter. Besides that she loves the taste.

It just has to come from butcher paper or wrap.
[signature]
There seems to be a lot of truth to what you say. [laugh]
[signature]
I can't think of anything worse to eat than a peice of wild duck that is cooked to well done. It gives it the texture of liver and makes it taste super gamey. However a peice of duck that is still bloody is really tender and has decent if not amazing flavor. Marinades and different things (such as your spaggeti method) can help to increase the quality of flavor. I think most peoples problem with duck is that they insist on overcooking it. If you can't or won't eat bloody meat then duck is not for you in my oppinion. My favorite way to cook it is to marinate it for an hour in half italian dressing half worchestershire then place a pickeled jalapeno slice and a dallop of cream cheese on it wrap it with turkey bacon and barbecue it on really high heat so the bacon gets cooked but the duck is only cooked to medium rare.
For all those people who don't like elk and deer.... They either have to be crazy or more likely they don't know crap about feild dressing them or the people they get the meat from don't know crap. My wife told me when we got married that she hated deer. Her family would only jerkey her dads deer. The first little buck I shot after we got married was gone in a month. She loves the stuff now. The only wild game she likes more is ruffs and blues and lots of people think they tast like pine tree. They only tast like pines if you don't gut them emmediatly after shooting them. They tast even better if you can pack them with a little snow or set them in a creek for a couple of minutes. It is just a matter of taking the time to learn to make it taste good and how to take care of it properly.
Fishjon
[signature]
This is true to most wild gmae meat. If you learn to do it right from the start. the better it tastes. I like to clean up my ducks while I have some down time in the field. I will pluck and gut my birds in the stand, then pack them in the little cooler puch I have in my bag. The coolor pouch I have packed with ice from home or snow in the field. Smae with most other animals I take.

Then when I freeze them. I freeze them with as much of the water and jouices gone. When I freeze them. I use a salt solution to clean the birds with. Then dry them as good as I can. Then use what ever spice / what have ya to freeze with them.

The public dont seem to understand, that we as people are derived from animal hunting old timers from back in the day. We as hunters run a role of helping keep the animal population to a good number, and when their is not enough animal left, we stop hunting them.
[signature]
Could also be the fact that they live and eat from "Poo water". You can't tell me that you like the aroma of rotting poo mud everytime you take a step in the wetlands. To me it just makes me lose my appetite for ducks. I would rather pick at an oven roasted pine hen fresh from the woods [cool]
[signature]
I'm with ya here bud. This post really hit home. It's Sad that people are too scared to cook meat right. I've converted my inlaws as well. I've been a big fan of the half Italian half Worsty marinade for some time now. So I will definately be trying your recipe. Are you keeping the duck breasts whole or cutting them?
[signature]
I like the smell of the wetlands. I agree it can be strong but I actually like the smell. Reminds me of hunting. Just like the smell of pine trees.
[signature]
All my ducks are breasted. It depends on whether I'm pan frying a breast like a steak, preferably rare to blood rare, or using it as a sauce over spaghetti or other types of pasta. Whole for mimicking steaks - and for a sauce, cut into small pieces and placed in sauce of choice raw and heated, not over cooked, [shocked] and poured over spaghetti, ravioli or other pasta. As a steak I usually pour some salsa sauce or equivalent but soy and other stuff is good too. Plain with salt and pepper is also good. Just kind of what you're in the mood for. As You can see, for me, it's not over cooking duck and blood rare is my preference. [Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Wink]
[signature]