Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Lake
Just got back from Yellowstone National Park. Although I have been to Yellowstone many times, I still am excited to get back there again. My wife took pity on me and let me fish for about 4 hours on Wednesday. I would have preferred to fish the Yellowstone River, but it doesn't open to fishing until July 15th. I fished Yellowstone Lake, casting Jakes Lures, Kastmasters and spoons from the shore. I managed to catch three nice Yellowstone cutthroats (the largest was about four pounds), and one of those illegally planted laker trouts. So there are now 40,001 fewer lakers in Yellowstone Lake (I heard that they recently netted 40,000 of them). I couldn't find anyone to take it, so following the park regulations I killed it and let it sink back into the lake.
[signature]
Just curious, is there a limit on the number of macks you can catch or do they let you catch and kill as many as you'd like?
[signature]
The more you catch and kill...the happier they are.
[signature]
On Yellowstone Lake there is no limit on macks. It is just illegal to return them alive. You can not use any type of lead, and only artificial lures and flies (with no attractants) are allowed. Also, the lure can only have one hook (a single treble hook is legal).
[signature]
[#ff0000]I've only driven by Yellowstone Lake with the family, drooling the whole time I might add. One of these times I'll have to take the boat instead of the family.... I have heard that the fish generally are not that big but you can't beat the scenery. It's a huge lake, anyone willing to share some favorite spots? I have also heard they are OK with you boat and shore camping. I would love to get lost up there for a few weeks. Since we're in the neighborhood has anyone fished the lake to the south, is it Lewis Lake I think? I havent heard much lately about Island Park either. Any reports? [/#ff0000]
[signature]
I have fished yellowstone lake one week a year for the last 16 years. Fishing the lake from a boat is simply amazing. one night two years back we caught and released 60 cutthroat trout. Yellowstone is full of tourists but noboy takes their boat! It is the only lake i know of that the fishing is that great with such little pressure

6 years ago we caught our first lake trout. It was caught in the West thumb and went 10 pounds and had a 12 inch cutthoat in its belly. Every year after this we have caught more and more lakers and fewer Cut's.

We mainly target Lakers when we go and catch 4-5 a day, compared to 15-20 cuts a day.

The Jakes-Spin-A-Lure is "the" Lure of the lake. We almost use it exlusivly in the gold golor with my own little modification. Second best lure is a Gerber gold spinner, Has a gold blade with a bright red body that is made to hold attractant inside the body "attractant isn't used". I do use a downrigger to target some of the deeper fish as well as lead core line. Lead tackle is not allowed but ive asked at least one ranger a year about lead core line as well as lead downrigger balls and they were all okay with it. They are maily concerned with the birds swollowing split-shot ect.

The best place on the lake to fish is around "fishing Cone" around the west thumb geyser basin. It is about the most scenic part of the lake and the fishing for us has always been the best there. One catch. Fishing there is prohibited from shore so a boat is a must. Troll a Jakes anywhere near that shoreline and you are going to catch a alot of fish!
[signature]
There is no mistaking a Yellowstone cutthroat, unlike the cutthroats in Strawberry, which are sometimes difficult to tell from a rainbow.
[signature]
Lake to the south. i guess you mean henrys lake? there are alot of lakes south of there.
[signature]
Nice report Kent. Glad to see you had a good time although it would be hard for me to kell one of those fish. They must be overrunning the lake huh. Wish I could get up and fish the madison. Someday maybe! Didnt do to hot at utah lake yesterday. We were right in the pelican marina. But im convinced there are still monsters lurking about. Pm me when you wanna go again!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!![Wink]
[signature]
Yellowstone Lake is (perhaps was) the premier cutthroat hatchery in the world. Also, with it being a national park they don't want any outside fish introduced. The cutthroat population has decreased so drastically, because of the illegally introduced mackinaws and also as a result of whirling disease that it is no longer legal to keep a cutthroat in Yellowstone Park. It is a shame when people have to introduce their pet fish. Also, there were already many excellent mackinaw fisheries in that area, without having to introduce them to a national park. I give up my soapbox to the next person.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Thanks for the info. I will be in Jackson for a week in Sept. might have to take the float toy and make a little detour now. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
[Smile]All this talk about Yellowstone makes me more and more eager to be up there. I'm going up at the end of his month for the first time. So all the info so far is greatly appreciated. Is there any places that are a must fish,see,or do? And I will definetily post about it when I get back. Also i'm trying to pick up a fairly cheap float tube and accessories before I go if any of you know were this might be possible please pm me.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A couple years back, Fish4Food and myself got a "back country" camping permit for camping in one of the thumb areas. It took us four hours in my 6 hp powered boat to get all of our gear back in there. We went in in September and launched in 19 degree weather! F4F got hypothermia from water splashing. Well, enough about all that. Needless to say, the fishing was great on that gold red-dot Jake's Spin-A-lure. I'm pretty sure that we will be making it back up again this year. Can't wait.[/size][/font]
[signature]
You are one crazy Old Coot to take a small boat (also with a small outboard) on Yellowstone Lake! I only hope that the camping wasn't across on the other side. I suppose on the positive side, if you can make it to shore, you can find plenty of warm (hot) water to warm yourself, at least in the thermal areas!
[signature]
Any Fish. If you want a good place to put in a tube. Just go To Grants Village in the west thumb and put in by the campround. There is a road to take you down where the old marina used to be. They tore out that marina due to thermal activity there. Wow i miss that marina! fishing is good from there in either direction. Fishing early morning or in the evening is best of course.

Ill be up there July 27'th to August 1st. can't wait!
[signature]
Be aware, "Float tubes are classified as vessels and they are not allowed on any river or stream in Yellowstone except the Lewis River between Lewis and Shoshone lakes." You also must purchase a permit for all boats including float tubes.

[#ff0000][size 1]"I have also heard they are OK with you boat and shore camping." [#090909]Old Coot would know for sure, but I'm quite certain that you can only camp in approved areas and you must have a camping permit.[/#090909][/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]