Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOSE Question??????
Ok, all you geese experts i have another Q for ya... I can get the geese to circle around a fiew times looks like they are going to come in but they never come down????? What could i be doing wrong? They talk none stop they circle back and back but never come down.... I have about a dozen or half dozen of decoys along with my duck deeks but i can't ever seem to get them in....Please help and thanks in advance....
[signature]
You might be calling too much. Or you might have something shiny or flashy that looks unnatural in your spread or on your person. Some times if they are just plain shy I try calling with the thought in mind that geese are territorial. Just a few low groans telling the geese that you ARE a real goose and you dont want newcomers to land right next to you. I hope that makes sense. I think later in the season the geese get a little spread shy, they have already seen so many decoys and heard so many similar calling sounds. If they come across live geese, the live geese on the ground are not making sounds that are welcoming to the air born flock. So they do warning groans and low honking. I think this triggers the flying flock into thinking that YES those are real down there and they dont want us to be next to them because they are on a good spot with plenty of food. They will circle a few times. If they still are not landing maybe position the deeks so their is an opening in front of your blind and the decoys are in a spread a 20 feet up stream or down field whatever your hunting. Sorry if this doesnt make sense. It is kinda hard to explain. I have watched a few calling dvds and they were able to explain it a lot better and let you hear the noise that you want to imitate. It does work though. Go to a park or golf coarse that you know has a lot of geese. Just sit and listen to all the sounds they make. It will surprise you what a real flock of geese sounds like. Its best when you can sit and study a flock on the ground and if a flight comes to land you can get an idea of how they sound. Try to imitate those sounds. Hope this helps. You guys up in Idaho have it way too good. I would love to hunt geese there some day. Just dont know any land owners.
[signature]
Ill make you a deal!!!!! You show me the ropes ill get you into GREAT geese land with corn fields, potato fields. ext... Not uncommon to see a hundred geese some mornings... I just don't know how to hunt them [crazy][pirate][pirate]

Great info i will have to give this a try on Tues thanks so much for your info...
[signature]
DEAL....how much is a nonresident small game hunting permit and are their any special stamps besides the federal one i already have?
[signature]
Hunting------$97.75

Migratory Bird Permit **$4.75

I guess this is all you need if you have the stamp..... I hunt American Falls Idaho so...If you really want to take me up on this and show me the ropes pm me and we can start working out the hows and when..... It will be a buddy and myself...

[signature]
I hate to sound dumb but I dont even know where that is. But from reading other posts is must be around pocatello. That is pretty far from me, we will have to see how my next few weeks look. I might not be able to swing it because its not on the way to where I go in Montana every year. I will let you know if I can do it. Sounds like fun.
[signature]
i can tell you what i know about goose hunting although this is only my second year of goose hunting i have picked up some quite a few tricks from pros. a good rule of thumb is never call more than the geese you are trying to call in are. if they are honking slow you call slow or vice versa. second they obviously know your decoys are not real or they are seeing you sounds crazy but some movement works amazing a motorized goose decoy or a flapper works great i prefer the flapper because they are cheap or you can buy your own basicly you need to make your dec's alive. you said corn and potatoes right? well its kind of hard to hide your self in the open unless you have a pop up blind if you dont have one get some dry grass or grain painted burlaps i have three i bought from sportsmans and they work great. practice your calling all the time get on you tube and watch different calling videos dont just go off of one they all have there rights and places in hunting. sometimes switching up how your calls sound can be the ticket by this time in the year they have seen and heard it all.

ps mabey we can get to gather for some goose hunting hit me up if you want.
[signature]
oh and more decoys than a dozen will help alot hit me up i have about 36 shell decoys and 6 floaters
[signature]
yeah im a poor guy lol not a lot of decoys, as for hitting you up and going? Heck ya! Its my wife's side who owns it and they have A LOT of acreage we can hunt. The more notice we give the more "PRIME" land we can hunt. They will shut that area down just for us...Pm me if you want to work something out and get together and ill get us on. Thanks for the info im sure the decoys was the prob we dont have that many and they sure was a circling around us wished i could of got a shot off.......[laugh]

p.s If we go be ready for a lot of Questions and such i am very interrested into learning this duck and goose hunting and dont have anyone to really ask Q's...
[signature]
no prablam sending pm
[signature]
dma ayottte, I hunt honkers a lot. I have 3 dozen full bodies, 4 or 5 dozen shells, and layouts. I'd be glad to come over next fall and give you a hand shooting some birds, and give you all the info I know after hunting them for about 34 years. Shoot me a PM sometime in September or so and we can start working a plan.
[signature]