Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing lake powell
Fished lake powell all day friday and saturday with my dad and two of my brothers. The weather was bueatiful and very little wind. We were out of hite. We did primitive camping out of the boat.
Fishing was absurd it was so good. We expected to have to really work for the fish with the cooler temps and all. Not so. Anything we tried worked. The first morning we had motor troubles for thirty minutes. While they were dinking around with the motor I dropped a drop shot over the side with a garlic finesse worm. It wasn't long before I landed a 3# smallie with a largemouth to follow that wasn't as big but still a nice fish. Although we didn't target the bass much whenever we tried to catch them we did.
We spent most of the first day trolling for stripers. We caught 30 in 4 hours of trolling. Not great but not slow either. They were so fat and healthy. Talk about a fight. I am used to the skinny half starved variety. I haven't been down there for a few years. The first fish we hooked snapped us off before we could even get it out of the rod holder (12 lb test). We loosened up the drags after that. We were trolling with downriggers and lipless cranks at 40 ft in 70 to ninety feet of water.
Although we searched for the crappie for a little while the first day we didn't catch any untill the second. We found a thick brush pile that was twenty feet deep towards the back of a bay. I had a drop shot on looking for big largemouths. My very younger nine year old brother had on a little maniac minnow. His first cast into the brush produced a two pound crappie. It was panic in the boat. We were all trying to get to the tackle at once to find something small to put on anything small. During the panic the little guy put two more in the boat just like the first. After we got tied on we just caught crappie until it got dark eight hours later. We stopped at miday to go back to camp to have a fresh crappie fry and fish fillete party then we were back at it. The evening bite was unbelievable. We boated two hundered crappie in the last two hours without even moving the boat once.
I consider myself a pretty good crappie angler. I fish for them a lot at pineview and have caught some real nice fish there. The size of the crappied at powell was unreal. The little ones we were letting go would have been considered monster slabs at pineview. We kept a limit of forty two pound crappie and released many more. The only bad part of the day is that I know I will never have a better day fishing for crappies than I did on saturday.
We also caught lots of really nice blugill while fishing for the crappie and once about noon a school of stripers moved in chasing the small crappie. We changed over to rattletraps and boated a dozen of the fat 4#s before they moved on. What a great trip.
Fishjon
[signature]
WOW!!!! nice trip it seems like its odd you guys dident get into an eyes!
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip thanks for the report.
[signature]
Wow, that's an incredible trip! Congrats! where are the pics??
[signature]
It truly was something special. We were there as well. As great as the fishing was, it was even better three weeks ago when the big stripers were on the surface boiling. I'm delighted you had a great time.
[signature]
Sounds like a dream!! We went to Powell a couple times last winter and fished the slips at Bull Frog because we didn't have a boat. We left Provo around 6 P:M and got down there around 10:30. We fished all night, vertical jigging anchoivies on a jig head. Then we drove home around 8:30 am. We were hammered with tiredness!! We ended up going down and doing the same thing two more times last winter. We brought my wifes grandpa down there with us one of the times. He apparently had never stayed up all night a day in his life and he's like 85 years old. We caught a ton of striper and had a blast. Grandpa said that was one of the funest times he had ever had in his life.

Any recommendations if we were to head down in the next couple weeks? We wouldn't have a boat, which I know sounds crazy. My good friend has a six seater plane that he flies down and a house boat down, but no fishing boat. We usually drop a fishing light and hang at the docks. I would greatly apprectiate any help you can give!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the comments. I also thought it was wierd we didn't smack any eyes. We caught seven species of fish but no eyes. This spring my dad was trolling in the same area and caught one eye for every three stripers. All of them decent fish. Of the hundreds of crappie we caught we kept one limit of 40 between all of us. There will be trophy crappies aplenty as long as the brush holds up. And all those crappies and stripers we caught have been going to good use. I have had four crappie meals and smoked a dozen stripers so far.
Fishjon
[signature]
Brother was supposed to email me the pictures. He hasn't yet. I will post them as soon as he sends them.
Fishjon
[signature]