Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUACK ATTACK!!
Got out to a top secret duck spot Sunday. It has been a couple years since I have done that well in Utah for waterfowl. Mainly because I have not been able to hunt as much as I used to. After yesterday I have a new burning desire to get out and whack some more ducks. We hunted from about 7 am to about noon. Our slue we set up on was packed with about 20-25 ducks of a few species mostly mallards and gadwalls. We also had 3 swans sitting with the ducks. I diddnt have a swan tag but could have filled about 20 of them on Sunday. Besides the ones we snuck up on walking into the blind, we had a nice flock fly back and forth right on the deck. They were HUGE. Quite a sight to see if you ask me.

Back to the ducks. Right off as we jumped the groups to begin the day we had a couple ducks hit the ground. Good start to the day. As I split up from the "old men" I decided to walk the river bottoms and do some jump shooting with my younger step bro and my two German wire haired pointers. The old folks knew that we would be pushing ducks all around the area and would have a good chance at calling some of the ducks into the decoys that we were not able to shoot. That was a good idea... For me....[sly] In the first sneak we made I spotted some mallard heads just over the crest of the rivers edge. Decided to flank them and push any un hit birds to the direction of the guys we had posted up downstream. Too bad for them I was feeling like doing some population control. We snuck up within 10 feet of the edge of the river and stood up. BANG down with a green head. I saw two more flying strait away from me and let another go BANG, dropped both of them with one shot, hehehe
I just hate it when the brown ducks get in the way...LOL The dogs did not see the second shot drop the two birds because they kept flying for at least 50 more yards before they decided they were hit. Then they just dropped out of the air at the exact same time, that was cool. They brought the first shot duck back to me and did two awesome blind retrieves on the others. as we are crossing the water to head upstream further what do you know it the only duck that diddnt get shot in the first jump session was flyin right back at us low. Little bro made a good passing shot on him and rolled it. OHHH yea. Sorry old men we shot all the birds out of that group. That was the way the rest of the morning went. With great stalking and shooting sessions. Then great dog work. As we got back to the slue we found out that my dad and his buddy had not even shot another shot since we left them in the morning. Too bad for them. They did have birds working around them but werent able to get any thing to deek in to them. All in all it was a great day. My dogs are pooped and so am I. Until next week, or this week if we get some weather I will just be daydreaming.
[signature]
Nice looking greenheads there. Next time you go out and need a partner, shoot me a PM.

I'll bring the Crown.....
[signature]
Nice duck hunt
[signature]
Very nice sir FOD! Makes me jealous. Nice pair of dogs you've got there.
[signature]
Great job on the birds! now if you can scare them swans my way so I can fill my tag[Wink]
[signature]
I am not a swan hunter.... yet. I would love to push them over to you. After looking into it I realized that I was not in the swan hunting zone, so I could not have shot at them even if I did have a tag. Sorry man. It does make me want to put in for the draw next year because I do see some enjoyment possibilities hunting them while I am chasing other waterfowl.(in the zone of coarse) Good luck on your swan!!
[signature]